What are your 2019 exercise goals?

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Make them something you're going to love training for and keep working towards!

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    A marathon in a major city in April or May.
    A marathon in August.
    48 km on my 48th month running anniversary in September.
    2019 km in 2019.
    Keep doing handstands/stretching/balance/core daily.

These will mean I get outdoors, travel, keep running, keep strong, and keep my flexibility and balance.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited December 2018
    Half marathon in January ... I hope.

Right now, that's all I've got. These days it is hard to plan ahead.

I'd like to say I'll cycle a century later in the year, but ...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I have a marathon in March. Beyond that, I have no goals. I'm looking for some sort of new challenge, but haven't come up with anything that really appeals. I also don't have any idea what kind of travelling we'll be doing this year, and that will affect what's possible. More time on the road means less time training, but usually more time hiking.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    No specific events right now which I'm totally fine with. I might do an organized half century but we'll see (it's not the length that's the issue, it's dealing with people and the price). I might race in some regattas in the Spring but who knows.

But to really answer your question:
    Keep up with rowing, at least through the end of the summer (I'm hopefully moving in the Fall which would necessitate finding a new club)
    Do more weight training - I'm not excited about this at all but it's a means to becoming more strong in the boat and on the bike. This might nessistate me signing up for weekly or bi-weekly personal training sessions with my old personal trainer
    Bike when I can
    Keep working on a sustainable workout schedule - what I'm doing now is working
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Try to move my recomp/decomp/maintainance cycle into more of a recomp again, circumstances permitting.
    Really looking forward to a bit of consistency, even if I simplify what I am doing.

Accept that I shouldn’t push squatting (weight) any further and switch to various leg machines.
    Will alleviate a lot of frustration.

Improve swimming, yet again, so snorkeling is a fun event.
    So love it; so freeze up in deep water.

All positives for so many reasons, sorry can’t say love.

Cheers, h.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Can't say I have any particular goal lifts or accomplishments to achieve...

Continually trying to fight the losing battle to father time, preserve a fairly good physique as I age & not make excuses for getting out of shape

Sure, who doesn't want bigger shoulders?
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    My 2019 are my 2018 goals which I didn't manage to achieve being able to hold a handstand for a minute and manage to do the splits.

A torn hamstring in August made the splits goal an impossible thing to achieve this year and well handstand balancing is an art-form which requires patience and consistency.

2019 I will continue with my circus and ballet dancing dreams with more acrobatics training, more ballet classes and adding German Wheel to my repertoire.

I would like to break my 100kg jinx when it comes to barbell squats and dead-lifts but that is a side project rather than the main event.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I will continue hiking, snowshoeing and backpacking. I will segment hike The Colorado Trail.

Once my Achilles tendon heals I will get back to running. Ultimate goal here is to add trail running to my list of ways to enjoy the mountains.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Main goal for 2019 - BQ at Steamtown in October.

Other 'plans' include training for a fast 5k for the first couple months of the year (other than mile training I have never trained to run fast). I will also be running my first ever 'ultra' trail races in January (3 and 6 hour timed events - I 'may' get enough distance in the 6 hour race to be considered an ultra). I'll run a couple other races before training for Steamtown gets started (sometime in July).

I also plan to bike more next year and maybe get back into martial arts for cross training.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    - I would like to do a half-marathon. There’s one in October I think I could be ready for.
    - I want to get in some snowshoeing this winter
    - Lots of hiking in the summer
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    1. Keep lifting consistently; increase strength and improve aesthetics
    2. Improve cardio consistency
    3. Work on mobility/flexibility
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Injury rehab is my priority at the moment. Assuming I am successful, I have two goal races and one "social race" on the schedule.

1. June - Patriot Half Iron distance triathlon. I have an aggressive time goal for this race held on a fast, flat course.

2. July - NYC Olympic distance triathlon. Huge number of participants in this race. It's all about a weekend in the city with friends, including a downstream swim in the Hudson river, followed by a bike ride on the West Side Highway, then a run in Central Park.

3. August - Ironman Mont Tremblant. This is my goal race. Beautiful ski village venue, awesome volunteer and spectator support, and an extremely challenging race course. I'm counting down the days until my next crack at this course.

Lots of group training fun planned as well, with a bunch of local sprint distance races on Thursday nights and our regular group open water swims on Friday nights.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I've got my cardio dialed in, I'm happy with my power walking and don't really have any goals.

I'd like to keep lifting consistently. I've had trouble doing this in the past, but since my son asked to start lifting and we've been lifting together, I've been much more consistent. I'd like that to continue.

I'd like to add something for flexibility. Perhaps yoga, though I'm not sure that's my thing. Maybe pilates.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I did long and a lot this year. Since I won’t be needing to run eleventy billion miles a week for marathon training next year, I’m hoping for a return to a more balanced program that also includes fun stuff like biking and hiking (which got squeezed out by marathon training miles this year).

Also shifting to a speed focus on the running side.

Have a short, fast race in March and a half in the fall. But mainly looking for more balance.