Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would you eat cricket protein?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Sure. I've generally tried similar things when offered, and I have considered buying the cricket powder/flour to try it.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    ONLY If it was the only option for calories, I would eat it, preferably as a trail mix, but I'll need water accessible to wash it down, for I won't be able to get over "I'm eating insects."
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I would. I considered it, in fact, when I saw one on Amazon. Then rationality won over curiosity...

If crickets are a cheap source of protein, then why is that protein bar so expensive per gram of protein? I'll wait until (if ever) the process is streamlined enough to have a reasonable cost. As long as cheese is produced commercially, I see no real reason to switch to crickets unless crickets get exceptionally cheap. Whey is a waste product, after all, and that waste needs to go somewhere.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yup I would try it. I'm not a fan of eating the insect itself due to the texture (feeling of the crunch and legs) but all ground up, ya why not.

Same.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    my forst thought is "of course" But then again I am always interested in new (or in this case very old) types of foods. IMO in western diet we have moved away from a lot of good foods and habits due to 'civilisation' and wanting to attain to when 'higher' classes eat and live like.
    Never mind that those 'higher' classes not higher just richer in money and often poorer in empathy and taste
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm a vegetarian. That would be a nope from me.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    :noway:
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have seen so many bars made with cricket protein and it sounds disgusting. I just can't stop picturing the bugs and it would turn me off even if it tasted good. I've heard a few people who have tried the bars say they are terrible, but I am sure there will be others who love the taste, haha.
  • Sunrain2018
    Sunrain2018 Posts: 24 Member
    I would try it.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,325 Member
    @cricketpower Thoughts?

@midwesterner85 ~ ha, yep! :)

I don't recommend mixing the flour with eggs for "huevos con grillos". That was nasty.

I had no problem chugging the pure flour in water, though. After awhile it actually kind of tasted like chocolate to me.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    There are a lot of cricket-based foods available besides the bars -- I think the flour (which is basically a protein powder) is more interesting. Here's a site selling them: https://www.cricketflours.com/5-reasons-you-should-be-eating-cricket-powder-cricket-flour/

The problem, and why I will not order any, is that despite the better argument for cricket as a source of protein being that it should be very cheap and possible to be sustainably produced, they are all really expensive niche products. Maybe that's, in theory, a necessary stage to make them catch on, or to appeal to a certain market, but it makes me not interested.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I actually find living crickets to be disgusting and can't stand being around them. So the idea of actually eating one, whole or ground, sounds repugnant.

And although I am generally an adventurous eater, I'm not sure I could purposely eat any bug unless I needed to for survival.

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm in! Have actually eaten these while vacation traveling...Not for the faint of heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Fmpzkjnmw
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    Some of the cricket protein bars aren't too bad either. Would definitely use cricket powder. Bit pricey the last time I checked though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    These are really popular at my grocery store.. r4iw1c2wo6x2.png

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    I would try crickets and MAYBE worms but that's it for insects.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I would try one of the bars if I came across it and it wasn't super expensive. Not sure I could eat an actual cricket, the legs freak me out some. On the other hand I eat calamari, so maybe its just something I would have to try to get over.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Have a look at ingredients - most food stuff percentages do not add up to 100 %. The rest are: bugs, beetles, mouse and rat droppings and other delightful additions...
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited December 2018
    My great nephew is a cricket farmer with some friends of his. They raise them & then they are shipped to California? to be made into flour. His mom has eaten them, but not sure I am brave enough! (I also think they are white..not the ordinary black ones that drive you nuts with their chirping! Lol)