Replacing cows milk with almond

2»

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Roobyzooby wrote: »
    Curious how much milk you have with your cereal, I have 100mls full fat cows milk and its 68 cals. I find it more than enough for the 50gms of cereal I have.

I was having 60g and around 250ml of milk.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    I too found almond milk too costly so I started making Kefir Milk for cows milk.

The fermentation process removes the sugar and drops the calories. The thickness is yummy! And even works well with 2% milk.

It’s really easy to do and I think in the long run the thin, expensive nut milks will leave you wanting a thicker product .

Look up kefir grains , they’re easily found
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    I drink almond milk and use regular milk (2%) for everything else. Skim milk is disgusting. It may as well slightly milk flavored water. The biggest reason I moved to almond milk for drinking is because for less calories I can have a nice glass of chocolate milk in the evenings which takes care of my cravings for sweets without snacking at night (I struggle with snacking at night... nothing wrong with it in general, but I end up eating WAY too much).
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    I drink almond milk and use regular milk (2%) for everything else. Skim milk is disgusting. It may as well slightly milk flavored water. The biggest reason I moved to almond milk for drinking is because for less calories I can have a nice glass of chocolate milk in the evenings which takes care of my cravings for sweets without snacking at night (I struggle with snacking at night... nothing wrong with it in general, but I end up eating WAY too much).

And if you heat up unsweetened chocolate almond milk with a bit of stevia, the calorie count is so awesome you even have room in your day to add baileys to it :wink:
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

And if you heat up unsweetened chocolate almond milk with a bit of stevia, the calorie count is so awesome you even have room in your day to add baileys to it :wink:

Try mixing in some coffee and hazelnut or peppermint creamer. Really good.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    for coffee I actually like cashew milk better than almond milk, it's a bit creamier taste and actually has even less calories (25 cal/cup)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    I drink almond/cashew vanilla milk or just cashew milk when I can't find the other one to save calories & it's delicious! only 25 cal/cup.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I just use skim milk. I like the extra protein boost and haven’t been interested in almond milk. But, I really like mixing vanilla yogurt with cereal instead of milk sometimes.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I use unsweetened soy milk--more protein. I try to sneak in more protein wherever I can.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    It’s really easy to do and I think in the long run the thin, expensive nut milks will leave you wanting a thicker product .

Not if you make real, homemade nutmilk. Cashew milk in particular is very thick and creamy.

Of course, it's also not low cal, since it contains cashews.

It's as expensive as cashews and water are. Not especially where I live.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I thought I'd try it for something different, though it went against the grain and seemed very faddish. I really like the nutty taste.

I'm so ashamed... now my go-to order at cafés is a decaf almond flat white. I'm now one of THOSE people. :disappointed:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    You might want to try an experiment while you’re at it....cut out all dairy for a few weeks (cheese, milk, yogurt, all dairy) and see how you feel. If it doesn’t make any difference, add it back in. But you may find a huge difference (skin, stomach, sinus issues, etc).
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    I'm a huge fan of almond milk. I actually prefer it over cows milk
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    I'm.really enjoying it. I've found a cheaper alternative too and sweetened doesn't really contain many more calories than unsweetened.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    I love vanilla flavored almond milk. I think the benefit is that you aren't drinking hormones. If you feel tired of the almond milk there is soy/coconut/ and cashew.
  • OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    While it may be lower in calories than milk, its also significantly higher in sodium, so if you're sodium restricted, this transition may not be for you. Also, there is quite a price difference. But my family does love it as a change of pace and I find it makes for much creamier cream soups and sauces than milk.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    In my area, almond milk of any sort is about $4.99 a qt, no way I'm paying nearly $20 a gallon for that stuff. I'll continue with whole cow's milk and cut my 150 calories elsewhere. lol. But that's me, obviously.

If you can get it reasonably priced, and you like the flavor, by all means... the info others posted regarding fat, protein, sugar if sweetened or flavors, etc, is all good info to go by.

Worst case, try it out for a month or so, see how you like it, what it does for your food log and calorie tracking... if it works out for you, do it!

Wow! Here in the midwest US, almond milk runs $2.99/half-gallon and I thought that was pricey! Price often dictates my willingness use a particular item to cut calories. 2 things I'm no longer willing to shell out for are 45 calorie bread and low-carb 60 calorie tortillas, though I enjoy them both. Also, I've never tried Halo Top because, with a family of 4, I'm never paying $4.99/pint for any kind of ice cream.

Edited to add: Actually, I wouldn't pay $4.99/pint whether I had a family or not ;)
    SVZee wrote: »
    In my area, almond milk of any sort is about $4.99 a qt, no way I'm paying nearly $20 a gallon for that stuff. I'll continue with whole cow's milk and cut my 150 calories elsewhere. lol. But that's me, obviously.

If you can get it reasonably priced, and you like the flavor, by all means... the info others posted regarding fat, protein, sugar if sweetened or flavors, etc, is all good info to go by.

Worst case, try it out for a month or so, see how you like it, what it does for your food log and calorie tracking... if it works out for you, do it!

Ouch! I buy it for one of my lactose intolerant kids and it's $2 for a half gallon and a gallon of cow's milk is between $2-$2.50 (Aldi prices).

Yeah, it's nuts.. I'm in Michigan, so not terribly un-Midwest US myself.. I think it's priced as it is locally because of our large dairy farm industry here (you wouldn't think, but we do indeed have quite a few!). I was at Meijer just this past weekend and it was on sale for $3.29/qt for popular brands.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    This is what I do! Unsweetened almond milk. Just be careful about having almond milk yogurt instead of the real thing. There's some trade-ups with the macros to do research on first.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member

Wow! Here in the midwest US, almond milk runs $2.99/half-gallon and I thought that was pricey! Price often dictates my willingness use a particular item to cut calories. 2 things I'm no longer willing to shell out for are 45 calorie bread and low-carb 60 calorie tortillas, though I enjoy them both. Also, I've never tried Halo Top because, with a family of 4, I'm never paying $4.99/pint for any kind of ice cream.

Edited to add: Actually, I wouldn't pay $4.99/pint whether I had a family or not ;)

AGREED.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member

SVZee wrote: »

Ouch! I buy it for one of my lactose intolerant kids and it's $2 for a half gallon and a gallon of cow's milk is between $2-$2.50 (Aldi prices).

Yeah, it's nuts.. I'm in Michigan, so not terribly un-Midwest US myself.. I think it's priced as it is locally because of our large dairy farm industry here (you wouldn't think, but we do indeed have quite a few!). I was at Meijer just this past weekend and it was on sale for $3.29/qt for popular brands.

Try NYC. Halo Top or Enlightened can be close to $6 a pint and almond milk $4 per quart. I'll do the almond milk, but Halo Top only on sale or with coupons.