Dry January! No Alcohol!

I will be partaking in dry January, no alcohol. Those of you that quit drinking to lose weight, when did you notice weight loss with not drinking empty calories? Second week?

Replies

• SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Also, I am new and looking forward to support and motivate others! Add me.
  • LaurelRedCock
    LaurelRedCock Posts: 1 Member
    I quit drinking when I first started cal I roe counting. It REALLY helped. I think you will notice the effect immediately. After 6 months I've gone back to the dark side. I'm going to do dry January (maybe 90 days) as well. Good luck : )
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    I eat for the most part really healthy; however, my downfall is drinking wine or martinis. We have cut out as much processed foods as possible, while eating our vegetables and fruits. I maintain around 1,300-1,500 food calories based on my workout for the day. I have added alcohol calories to it and weight has crept on over the last few years. I am ready to have a dry January! I have already started the last few days, but being realistic with Christmas coming up that I will indulge. Here comes January!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm in.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I’m in! Trip in feb is booked and I don’t expect to lose more than 2-3lbs with minor diet changes but cutting out a few drinks will do me good and cut some bloat for the first few days on the beach.
  • Enos1981
    Enos1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Count me in! I’ve done this in the past. It definitely helped me get down to a healthy weight for my age and height, though it did take a few months. I don’t remember how fast I noticed a difference, but there definitely was one.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I will be partaking in dry January, no alcohol. Those of you that quit drinking to lose weight, when did you notice weight loss with not drinking empty calories? Second week?

3500cal of alcohol will equal 1lbs of loss.
    So if you were drinking 30 glasses of wine a week, you will notice a pound of weight loss during that one week of not drinking.

Provided nothing else changes, like needing to replace sugar from wine, with candy. Many people (myself included) have reported developing a sweet tooth and devouring a lot more sweets when abstaining from wine.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    mholl15 wrote: »
    I would say about three weeks in, I could see clear results from the mirror, add a little exercise in and excessive water to your liquid intake and you should see the same

This sounds really good to me. I'm looking forward to some results, even if it's just feeling better.
  • mw1551
    mw1551 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2018
    I was considering trying to go dry this next year, but I feel that month-to-month might be a more attainable goal. I'm in as well!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I’m doing the same here! I’ve given up spirits in the past and the biggest difference I see is in my skin. Cheers! (Water lol!)
  • sillybee74
    sillybee74 Posts: 5 Member
    I started yesterday with no alcohol. My plan is to give it up until my skyrocketing weight is under control, i'm guessing a month. Reading everyone's responses has been a much needed inspiration, thanks y'all 😁
  • acb117
    acb117 Posts: 3 Member
    Congrats to anyone who can do no alcohol.
    I personally can attribute 50+ pounds to amazing Washington beer. I am still working to get rid of that weight.

For the future if you are only dry for January...I have worked in the industry of alcohol for about 10 years, and one of the best ways I have noticed helps me is look into all the nutrition in the types of alcohol you are consuming. If it is wine or beer, you can always contact the wine or beer makers to find out the amounts of sugars and other nutrients that are in the beverages. If it is a large alcohol production company they often have their information online.

Good luck in January
  • angelamarieboyd
    angelamarieboyd Posts: 3 Member
    edited December 2018
    I use diet tonic & gin OR vodka. I've read there are 0 calories in this. However, MFP counts otherwise.

Thoughts?