Side effects of hiking

Remember drug commercials on TV, with a fast voice at the end warning that side effects may include irritability, constipation, dry mouth, death, etc?

One reason woo and confusion flourish is that there's no money to be made selling "eat less, move more." A friend and I were wondering what a hiking commercial would look and sound like.

We decided a commerical for hiking should end with "side effects include: lower blood pressure, increased fitness, hiking may strengthen friendships, increased happiness, increased sense of meaning, increased creativity, improved sleep quality, and lowered stress."

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    In all fairness, death should be included as a side effect too
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Sore feet, back, and shoulders.
    Tired, weak legs.
    Abrasions and chafing.

Lowered stress.
    Sense of accomplishment.
    Appreciation/respect for nature.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    They should shoot the commercial on a hiking trail called the Angel Falls in Zion. It is a beautiful and scary all in the same hike. YMMV

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Every hike for me ends with a dirty dog 🙄
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Every hike for me ends with a dirty dog 🙄

Me too!
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Sore feet
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    As a former long distance hiker, on the plus side was usually weight loss and stronger legs, on the negative was weakened upper body and knee pain, as well as widened feet.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    feeling of smallness
    feeling of awe in nature
    elevated heart rate
    elevated breathing
    peaceful thoughts or actions
    hunger
    thirst
    weight loss
    slight risk of not being the highest in the food chain
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    No one has mentioned mosquito bites yet?
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,154 Member

The week long Round the clock Benadryl dosing from mosquito bites, bee stings and pine allergies. I won’t even DRIVE in the mountains unless absolutely forced to....never mind get out of the car and walk anywhere!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I set up camp wearing a full goretex suit in July once. They still got my ankles and neck.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Around here the only hiking available is on paved trails among subdivisions. I'm at least 100 miles from any kind of state or federal park. Yet still nearby hikers are being mauled by coyotes and homeowners are photographing bobcats in the neighborhoods.
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    I miss hiking in the mountains. Probably time to do another waterfall hike soon.

-mountain lion attacks
    -being chased by people with disobedient dogs
    -getting lost - which also results in a more expedited experience for some of those pros: weight loss, feeling of smallness and awe, and so on
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    How come nobody mentioned inability to use the ladies room (because I know that guys can do "it: behind a tree...)?