How to get a toned body

Options
I'm at a healthy weight. I could lose a few more pounds but I'm still at a healthy weight for my height. I'm not trying to gain weight, just to tone my body. How can I get my body to be toned like this girl in the black top and skirt? I've tried YouTube workout videos like from LoveSweatFitness and it helped a little with my arms (I did the arm workout videos) but I still didn't get results like hers. I want HER body. And please don't tell me it's unattainable. Anything is attainable if you work hard enough.

I want my body to look like hers. What I don't want is those girls who overdo it at the gym and have massively thick thighs and butts. This girl does the perfect amount of toning. And her legs omg!! She has Carrie Underwood legs! How do I get that? I'm guessing leg lifts and squats aren't going to cut it? Help please!

Replies

• blondebeauty500
    blondebeauty500 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    And do my arms even look like I've been working them out? They don't seem to be anywhere close to as toned as hers.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    You need to add in resistance training. See the above poster's link. A deficit would help you to lose a few more pounds. If you don't want to lose anymore weight you can just eat at your maintenance calories and do the resistance training. You body composition will change over time. You will need patience, building the body you want takes time and consistency. Good luck.
  • Bgreen2019
    Bgreen2019 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You’re not going to look like the girls who “over do it” overnight...that takes time and dedication and more than YouTube videos.

As to the oringial pic bodily shape...you seem to carry most of your weight in your mid-section...so while your legs and arms will remain smaller...your mid-section might be a struggle. And while losing weight and being fit is attainable...what is Not is looking exactly like someone else who has a different build and genetic blueprint than you. You have to set realistic goals..and that doesn’t include trying to look exactly like someone else.

Sardelsa has great information there for you...hopefully that helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned... small deficit, adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb goalweight/lean body mass) plus following one of the programs above. Also...if you want to look like the above woman, invest in a good self-tanner (it makes such a huge difference!)

But keep in mind, while it is possible to transform and progress yourself, it is important to be realistic... you will never look exactly like anyone else, and there are certain genetic factors at play. For example if you are 5'2 you will never really look like a runway model, but that doesn't mean you can't look like your best self.

This has to be emphasized. Unless you have her genetics, you won't look like her. But you can improve how you look by losing a bit of fat and lifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight, but the chick in black is leaner and thus will look more toned because the muscle under the fat is revealed. So as an example, I'm at a perfectly healthy BF% but I'm not super lean so I don't have a six pack and would have to lean out more if I wanted to reveal those muscles.

Beyond that, resistance training and patience...a toned fitness body doesn't come overnight...she's probably been doing some form of resistance training for years.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm sorry but it's not realistic to pick a photo of some random girl and strive to look just like her. Everyone is different and everyone has different body types and shapes. You should strive to be the best version of you. That said, resistance training and calorie deficit is what you need. Find a program and stick to it. You won't end up with huge quads and glutes on accident, and especially not if you're in a deficit. Good luck
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Same advice—pick a progressive lifting program and decide to be in it for the long haul. Getting any “toned” look will mean losing some more body fat. No way around that. It might not be a ton, but especially if you’re shorter, a few pounds can make a huge difference. I’m attaching a photo to show what about a change a 7lb loss can make (I’m 5’4”, this is from 135 to 128).

As for what to do, I really loved the explanations & step by step approach(& the results I got!) with New Rules of Lifting for Women when I did that as a total newbie to progressive lifting. Strong Curves is another good option.

And another echo to “be the best you “. I’m from pear shaped Italian stock—I can go for an athletic look, with a toned midsection and arms, but the super lean slim dancer with tiny ankles and delicate wrists look will never happen. These thighs will shrink, they’ll get more muscle and jiggle less, but they won’t ever be totally lean and model straight. And my ankles will never be elegantly slim. And that’s okay. s4f66p2560ei.jpeg