Marching in place while working

I work from home as a typist which means I sit a lot for work. I've noticed I'm getting a back ache from all the sitting. I decided to work standing up and added to that by marching in place while working yesterday and logged it. I marched for 150 or so minutes altogether and GoogleFit estimated a 700 calorie burn. I did log it. My settings in MFP are set to sedentary.

Work is pretty busy right now, and this is one of the only ways I can fit exercise into my daily schedule. Am I right for logging this?

Replies

• hmkiesel
    hmkiesel Posts: 27 Member
    I agree, I would maybe log half or less of the actual estimated time, just to be safe
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Agreed that that sounds like a high calorie burn for marching in place. I would probably take whatever you burn walking for the same amount of time, and then subtract another 25% or so from that. I have no scientific basis for that number, other than the idea that marching in place should burn fewer calories than walking.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I agree with logging half to begin with. It's really a good idea, a good way to get some steps in!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Yes, you're right. If all you do is stand while typing you burn ~0.75 kcal/minute more than sitting. If you were to use a gadget which logged your steps and updated mfp, you'd be able to trust the awarded exercise calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I would log the activity but 700 calorie burn seems too high for that. I think it would be more like half that or maybe less.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’m glad you have a job that allows you to be active while working. I work from home but my computer work is so intense I could never use a desk cycle or march in place while doing it.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    I used my phone to track steps. It was 11,000 steps. GoogleFit has been accurate for me in the past for my walks and cycling. Not sure how accurate it would be for marching in place. I definitely feel it today. I am going to check my heart rate from time to time. I might be able to get a more accurate reading this way.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    11000 steps is around 5 miles for me and I burn 75 calories by walking per mile. Therefore for me, a 232lb guy, I'd burn 375 by walking those 11000 steps. Since marching/walking on the spot burns less I'd count it, personally, as 200 calories.

Still a lot more than if you hadn't done it though.