Solutions for Habitual Snacking?

Hi Fellow MFP-ers! Has anyone here found a good way to overcome habitual snacking? It's 99% of the the reason that I'm finding it difficult to lose weight right now. The office manager at my job keeps copious amounts of snacks in the kitchen that's right outside of my office. So every time I step out, I'm greeted with chips and cookies (and as of late, cakes). I'm doing intermittent fasting and oddly enough, I don't get tempted during my fasting window. I have lots of tea and water and all is well. But when that time is up?

GAME ON.

I'm off for the next couple of weeks and today is my first day off being at home. I haven't snacked at all. Did my fasting window, went PAST my fasting window, and just had a regular meal with no problem.

How do I get past this urge to snack when I'm at work even though I know I don't need it, don't particularly want it, but somehow feel compelled to do it?

Any experiences or advice welcome!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Change your fasting window until after work?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I haven't tried getting past it. I've just chosen to eat smaller meals and keep some calories available for snacks during the day. As I type this, I have a single-serve bag of Simply Protein Crunch beside me (110 calories). Other options include popcorn, veggie dogs (I like them cold out of the package. Don't judge me; it's 8 grams of protein and 15% of my iron rda!) single-serving ice cream treats (generally 90-160 calories; occasional splurge for a 250-calorie Chipwich-type thing).

Mostly, I seek out snacks that help me hit any or all of protein, iron or fiber goals. I'll occasionally have something that's low-cal enough to fit my available but doesn't give me much more than low-fiber carbs and salt (Veggie Straws, I'm looking at you...), but that's less common.

Bottom line, snacking isn't a problem unless it takes you over your calories.
  • allieeveryday
    allieeveryday Posts: 85 Member
    I've only been trying this for a couple of days with semi-successful results, but maybe identify one thing that's available that you want, and stick to only one piece of that one thing? (This is what I'm trying to do with Christmas cookies at parties. Sometimes it works?)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,454 Member
    I became a germaphobe. One day I started paying attention to the behavior of my coworkers around the food that was out. Exposed food lost its appeal. The details would be tmi.

I brought a couple of apples with me to work.

My system was no afternoon snacking until I got home to my planned, program friendly and appealing snack. That way it was just about waiting for awhile.
  • Mochiedoke
    Mochiedoke Posts: 199 Member
    Change your fasting window until after work?

I wouldn’t be adverse to this, but I wake up around 4am and go to be super early, so probably not too feasible for me in terms of schedule :-(

• Mochiedoke
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Some mind games I play with myself on just such occasions:
    1. Log it before you eat it. Seeing it in black & white and knowing I will have to subtract those calories from my meals often helps.
    2. For foods not in single serving packaging, I imagine the ickiest person in the office rummaging around in the bowl/package, people sneezing and coughing all over it. If it's homemade, I actively wonder the condition of the co-worker's kitchen.
    3. When you walk through, make a mental note of what snack is calling to you, and tell yourself you can come back for it in 5 minutes. Then just take a moment to decide if you really want it, if it's worth it or not, before going back for it.

I like this, thank you!
  • Mochiedoke
    I haven't tried getting past it. I've just chosen to eat smaller meals and keep some calories available for snacks during the day. As I type this, I have a single-serve bag of Simply Protein Crunch beside me (110 calories). Other options include popcorn, veggie dogs (I like them cold out of the package. Don't judge me; it's 8 grams of protein and 15% of my iron rda!) single-serving ice cream treats (generally 90-160 calories; occasional splurge for a 250-calorie Chipwich-type thing).

Mostly, I seek out snacks that help me hit any or all of protein, iron or fiber goals. I'll occasionally have something that's low-cal enough to fit my available but doesn't give me much more than low-fiber carbs and salt (Veggie Straws, I'm looking at you...), but that's less common.

Bottom line, snacking isn't a problem unless it takes you over your calories.

Thank you! I’m like a free range grazer and it definitely knocks me over my calorie goal. I can try to do better about bringing my own and maybe that will help me control it.

• Mochiedoke
    I've only been trying this for a couple of days with semi-successful results, but maybe identify one thing that's available that you want, and stick to only one piece of that one thing? (This is what I'm trying to do with Christmas cookies at parties. Sometimes it works?)

I would love that...I need to work on discipline because once I get one, several others follow
  • Mochiedoke
    88olds wrote: »
    I became a germaphobe. One day I started paying attention to the behavior of my coworkers around the food that was out. Exposed food lost its appeal. The details would be tmi.

I brought a couple of apples with me to work.

My system was no afternoon snacking until I got home to my planned, program friendly and appealing snack. That way it was just about waiting for awhile.

I’ve never actually paid attention to this. I suspect that if I did, I’d see things that explain why their offices look the way they do lol
  • jufhermelien
    jufhermelien Posts: 6 Member
    I recognise your problem. Here too we have a kitchen filled with cookies and (free) unhealthy stuff.
    I read some good tips here, thanks everyone!

For me it's only day 8 of my diet but I'm doing okay so far at work. I checked some calories of those cookies and decided it was not worth it. I prefer to spend my calories on some small delicious piece of chocolate at home, with my feet up in front of the television. Not a quick cookie at work, just because I'm stressed, and which is full of colleague-germs (lol).
  • Mochiedoke
    I recognise your problem. Here too we have a kitchen filled with cookies and (free) unhealthy stuff.
    I read some good tips here, thanks everyone!

For me it's only day 8 of my diet but I'm doing okay so far at work. I checked some calories of those cookies and decided it was not worth it. I prefer to spend my calories on some small delicious piece of chocolate at home, with my feet up in front of the television. Not a quick cookie at work, just because I'm stressed, and which is full of colleague-germs (lol).

This is a good way to look at it, lol
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited December 2018
    I feel your pain, it's a nightmare when the office is full of cookies and chocolates....What's even worse is co workers who keep asking '' why don''t you have some? go on, have one, it's not going to kill you''

My solution is bringing my own healthy snacks that fit in my goals (mainly fruit/veg).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Snacking doesn't cause diabetes. Eating healthy food doesn't prevent diabetes. The two main factors that increase the odds of developing the condition are genetics and being overweight. It makes no difference whether you got to be overweight on whole foods or processed, extra-virgin olive oil or transfats.

PS: A tablespoon of dark chocolate chips contains 8 grams of carbs. Same for the craisins.

And not everyone's body responds to carbs the same way.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Drink more water!!
    Is there a way to avoid the snack area at work?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Snacking on healthy food is fine. Snacking on unhealthy food can wreak havoc on your health.

Sadly most people don't realize how poor their food choices have been until it's too late. Me included.

Snacking is what caused me to get type 2 diabetes. It wasn't my regular diet because I eat healthier than most people as I make my food from whole ingredients (not from a package), eat whole grain bread and pastas and rarely eat fast food.

If the temptation persists, make yourself a wholesome healthy snack and always keep it handy. My favorite is a mixture of dark chocolate chips (at least 70% cacao), sweetened dried cranberries (Craisins) and some type of nuts or seeds (my favorite is shelled pumpkin seeds). This mixture is chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. It also is a good source of protein (pumpkin seeds) which can help satisfy cravings.

Just remember "carbs beget carbs" meaning the more you consume the more you will crave...it's how the body responds.

The bolded are blatantly not true.
    Snacking doesn't cause diabetes. Eating healthy food doesn't prevent diabetes. The two main factors that increase the odds of developing the condition are genetics and being overweight. It makes no difference whether you got to be overweight on whole foods or processed, extra-virgin olive oil or transfats.

PS: A tablespoon of dark chocolate chips contains 8 grams of carbs. Same for the craisins.

Esther is correct. Snacking and food choices do not cause diabetes.
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,915 Member
    Bring your own snacks and make it a rule that you can only snack on those, the office snacks are off limits. You have a hard and fast rule about no eating during your fasting window, now you need a hard and fast rule No Snacking on the snacks in the office, only eat the snacks you've brought in yourself.
  • Blackwatch2000
    Blackwatch2000 Posts: 20 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Snacking on healthy food is fine. Snacking on unhealthy food can wreak havoc on your health.

Sadly most people don't realize how poor their food choices have been until it's too late. Me included.

Snacking is what caused me to get type 2 diabetes. It wasn't my regular diet because I eat healthier than most people as I make my food from whole ingredients (not from a package), eat whole grain bread and pastas and rarely eat fast food.

If the temptation persists, make yourself a wholesome healthy snack and always keep it handy. My favorite is a mixture of dark chocolate chips (at least 70% cacao), sweetened dried cranberries (Craisins) and some type of nuts or seeds (my favorite is shelled pumpkin seeds). This mixture is chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. It also is a good source of protein (pumpkin seeds) which can help satisfy cravings.

Just remember "carbs beget carbs" meaning the more you consume the more you will crave...it's how the body responds.

The bolded are blatantly not true.

Esther is correct. Snacking and food choices do not cause diabetes.

As someone with T1 diabetes and a spouse with T2, I completely concur.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

Holy crap! How many calories is that? I can eat a cookie for half what those calories probably are.