Coffee

Good morning. Wondering where coffee fits in? I drink Folgers Black Silk, scanned the barcode and it is 0 everything. But my big question is do I get to count it in my water intake?

TYIA Emily

Replies

• emilyrippe
    emilyrippe Posts: 3 Member

Thanks!
  • emilyrippe
    emilyrippe Posts: 3 Member
    Lol I was hoping to get the long answer too. Thanks! This makes me a very happy lady. Merry Christmas!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Coffee is a diuretic, meaning it actually dehydrates you. I would not consider it water since it does not play the same role. Same with coffee, juices, etc. If you are wanting to track water intake, buy a water bottle with numerical measurements, and keep track of the amount you drink. Water is water! There are no substitutes.

If I have a glass of water with breakfast as well as my (really strong) coffee, doesn't it all get mixed up in my stomach as coffee that's average strength or a little weak? Does the water still count as water then?

Yes, water is water. It doesn't stop being water because you mix it up with other things, whether you do the mixing by brewing coffee, or mother nature does it by combining it with vitamins and minerals in a fruit that you then squeeze to get juice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Coffee is a diuretic, meaning it actually dehydrates you. I would not consider it water since it does not play the same role. Same with coffee, juices, etc. If you are wanting to track water intake, buy a water bottle with numerical measurements, and keep track of the amount you drink. Water is water! There are no substitutes.

I find it interesting that you think coffee doesn't count because it's diuretic, but - by implication - you wouldn't count sports drinks even though they specifically include electrolytes that can encourage water retention, because 'there are no substitutes'.
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    emilyrippe wrote: »
    Good morning. Wondering where coffee fits in? I drink Folgers Black Silk, scanned the barcode and it is 0 everything. But my big question is do I get to count it in my water intake?

TYIA Emily

I don't count it at all. some things like this seems so trivial.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    The coffee is a diruetic myth dates to 1928. And it is just that a myth that will not go away. If a drink contains water count it as part of your daily water intake.
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    To be honest. IRISH COFFEES RULES lol
  • HappilyDistracted
    HappilyDistracted Posts: 1,700 Member
    To be honest. IRISH COFFEES RULES lol

Mmm. Irish Coffee. I like the way you think.