Help! Optavia - concerned for my health.

Hi all! Haven’t really ever been active on here but I lack a community or knowledgeable person to ask.

I started Optavia 5 days ago. I’m down 7 lbs.
I LOVE how fast I’m losing weight. But what I’m really struggling with is how sustainable this is. For those of you that don’t know. It’s basically eating 6 small meals a day (5 of those are 100 calories each) for a total of 800-1100 calories a day.

I started at 230lbs, I’m down to 223 on day 5.

But I HATE the food. And my cravings are INSANE. Plus, I can’t really workout since my deficit is so high.

Wondering everyone’s thoughts and if there are any trainers/dietitians on here I can talk with.

Replies

• katrinabrown123
    katrinabrown123 Posts: 1 Member
    Intent app is also a very affordable coaching service done through app
  • Steelkid
    Steelkid Posts: 74 Member
    brettakuss wrote: »
    Hi all! Haven’t really ever been active on here but I lack a community or knowledgeable person to ask.

I started Optavia 5 days ago. I’m down 7 lbs.
    I LOVE how fast I’m losing weight. But what I’m really struggling with is how sustainable this is. For those of you that don’t know. It’s basically eating 6 small meals a day (5 of those are 100 calories each) for a total of 800-1100 calories a day.

I started at 230lbs, I’m down to 223 on day 5.

But I HATE the food. And my cravings are INSANE. Plus, I can’t really workout since my deficit is so high.

Wondering everyone’s thoughts and if there are any trainers/dietitians on here I can talk with.

It's Medifast with a new name. I did it from March 2010 to December 2010 and lost 150 lbs but couldn't keep it up. It does work but it's goal is to teach you how to eat better, it's not made for the long term, thats what I didn't keep in mind. It has helped me keep off 70 of the 120 consistent pounds I've lost since 2009. What it basically does is put your body in light ketosis. There are better ways to lose the same amount of weight without the high costs.
  • monicarn64
    monicarn64 Posts: 1 Member
    So glad you guys are talking about Optavia. What an absolute ripoff. Do you lose weight? Sure. The coaches are SO pushy. I am an RN, and don’t need to be told what to eat. I just have to do it!
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    I eat the Optiviia bars. I like the macros of them and that they are only 110 calories. I don't follow their plan of 5 a day, but I use them in my calorie count. I also like the mashed potatoes which are great to add to a meal when I have some extra calories.
    I also think their 300 calorie meals aren't bad when you are in a pinch and need to bring something premade but you don't have a way to keep it frozen until you heat and eat it.
    I treat them like any other food, I count the calories and fit them in.
    Some of their stuff though, chili, sloppy Joe's, are awful!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Venencia wrote: »
    I joined Optavia Nov 4, 2018 and have lost 33 lbs and my cholesterol is down too which is a big deal to me. I’m halfway to goal. The first order comes with Dr Anderson’s Habits of Health book. He advises Medifast aka Optavia in it because it’s balanced and easy. The book also lays out his approach on eating for health among other things. I’m great full for the plan in giving me direction! I’ve justified the costs too by saying it’s a trade off for groceries and eating out. However...

Myself and a friend of mine switched over to the plan in Dr A’s book, which uses real foods, and we canceled our Optavia orders. It’s only day 2 but I think we will continue our weight loss without the packaged fuelings. I’m Loving my fitness pal for tracking and planning!
    I too think Optavia is a MLM program.

losing weight for some in itself can cause cholesterol to go down