Blisters on one heel...

leanjogreen18
leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I bought a cheap pair of running shoes 2 1/2 years ago. Got blisters on my right heel, someone suggested better shoes and going down 1/2 size. I bought some Asics 1/2 size smaller and no blister for about a year.

Now I'm getting blisters again same Asics and only on the right heel. I live on an island and on my side of the island there are no running stores that can analyze my gate however the otherside of the island there is a store I'm planning to visit in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any tips to minimize the friction until then? I have a 5k Foam Glow run coming up Jan 19th and I really need to keep walking/training until I can get new shoes.

Thanks!

Edit: I did google and try different tying methods to no avail:(

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    I'd suggest a different pair of shoes until then, but it seems like you don't have another pair? Is it possible that your shoes have just worn out? Could you try thicker running socks or using moleskin until you can get to the running store?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited December 2018
    Paper tape on the area prone to blistering works wonders for preventing blisters.
    Runners use this trick.
    I use it when I have to walk a lit in China.
    Never have blister issues with Brooks Ghost shoes either regardless taping
  • leanjogreen18
    @JustSomeEm thanks I finally got to get new shoes, I’ll try them out today.

@fishgutzy I tried duck tape but I still felt the shoe rubbing but it could be because I already had a start of a blister.

I went on reddit and found the duck tape trick along with two socks or Vaseline if anyone else has this problem - until they get new shoes of course.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member

@fishgutzy I tried duck tape but I still felt the shoe rubbing but it could be because I already had a start of a blister.

I went on reddit and found the duck tape trick along with two socks or Vaseline if anyone else has this problem - until they get new shoes of course.

Paper tape works. Hard to believe because it is so thin. I had tried other tapes and candidate band-aids. But paper tape did the trick.
  • leanjogreen18
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Paper tape works. Hard to believe because it is so thin. I had tried other tapes and candidate band-aids. But paper tape did the trick.

Paper tape like painters tape?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What kind of socks are you wearing? If you’re running in cotton socks, try some moisture wicking running socks. I had constant blisters until I made that switch.
  • leanjogreen18
    apullum wrote: »
    What kind of socks are you wearing? If you’re running in cotton socks, try some moisture wicking running socks. I had constant blisters until I made that switch.

I just bought balega ultra light but I will try some moisture wicking socks. Thanks!!
  • apullum
    apullum wrote: »

I just bought balega ultra light but I will try some moisture wicking socks. Thanks!!

The Balegas should help. That’s what I run in. If you still get blisters, then the I would go with the tape or moleskin on problem areas until you can make it to a running store.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    New running shoes, period.
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Several tips from a track runner:
    Socks
    Athletic shoes specifically for running
    Mole skin
    Get professionally fitted - don't guess your shoe size.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Looks like you already solved the problem by buying new shoes, but for others who might be reading, hydrocolloidal bandages used to cover blisters will also prevent blisters. Even better, they work for me when I already have a blister.
  • leanjogreen18
    So after aynalysis I bought mizuno wave inspire since they noticed my left foot arch is collapsing due to by broken metatarsal a year 1/2 ago but they put me in an 8 1/2 I normally wear 7 1/2. Seemed to not slip I get home and go for my walk and it slips all over like a way to big shoe.

Completely discouraged I go to the only store with running shoes on my side of the island, famous footwear. I bought Asics Gel 4 with inserts for my left foot but again the guy recommended 8 1/2.
    I’m heading out now with painters tape rolled up in my pocket just Incase since nearest store with your other recommendations is 45 min away:(.

Is it possible I walk differently when strolling vs walking on a trail?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    It's definitely possible - my Saucony Guides slip on one heel when walking but not at all when running.

Are you lacing your shoes using the extra hole at the ankle? That makes a big difference.
  • leanjogreen18
    Update: once on the trail slipping stopped but it seems the arch supports (I need for my left foot) is making me strike on the outer right foot causing some uncomfortableness. I also had some tingling on right 3 toes middle to pinky.

I will try to lace differently and maybe loosen my laces towards the toes, I may have tightened too tight thinking it would help slippage?

Thanks all I’ve really been getting down about this and I appreciate your help!!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Sorry, can we back up a second...

What shoes are you trying to wear? The original Asics? The new Mizunos? Or the new Asics?

The Mizuno is classified as a stability shoe, so if you still think they are too big/don't fit and want a different shoe, look for other stability shoes (do some research online, most of the big brands offer stability shoes). Don't just buy whatever.

As for the blisters... a good fitting shoes with good socks shouldn't rub/cause blisters. Make sure you're running in a synthetic or wool sock (thickness is up to your personal preference), and that your shoes are laced tight enough to prevent/minimize slipping but loose enough to not cause undue hotspots. It's a balancing act sometimes, but it shouldn't be hard to find that sweet spot. If your heel is slipping, you'll likely want them laced tighter in the top half of the shoe (towards your ankle). If the bottom of your foot is sliding in the shoe, then you'll want them laced a bit tighter in the middle to bottom of the lacing (towards your toes). That's very general advice, but it's a starting point... tweak it as needed based on your actual shoe/foot/fit/rubbing.
  • leanjogreen18
    @jjpptt2

The new mizuno’s I bought are slipping all over top, heel and ankle. So I bought new asics with separate arch support insoles I put in.

My left foot is the one that needs arch support or stabilization but it hasn’t bothered me old shoes, new shoes nada. However the guy at the pro shop said as I up miles I will eventually have problems. But because the right foot was slipping on the trail in the mizunos I went and bought the new ASICS with support insoles.

I live on the Big Island in Hawaii the only running store is 2 hrs away so I thought the ASICS would work. Do you think that’s a bad idea?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hard to say without knowing which asics they are... but there's nothing inherently good nor bad about asics vs mizuno vs anything else.

There's also no guarantee that the fit guy got things right, so the only way to know for sure if they "work" is whether or not you can wear them and run in them comfortably.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Are they recommending a size 8 1/2 because that’s the size you are, or are they bumping up the size because “most” people buy running shoes a 1/2 size or so larger? “Most” don’t (some do to allow for foot swelling after many miles). But I can’t help but think at least part of the reason you’re sliding all over in the shoes is because they are too big.

I’ve worn 7 brands of running shoes and never been comfortable running in anything but my true size (even for 20+ mile runs). The rest of the shoe just doesn’t fit right when I get them larger (including my heel slipping around-even when heel locked, the midfoot/arch hitting in the wrong place, etc.).

If your actual size is 8 1/2 and that’s why they are recommending it, then never mind.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    So a trick for skates if you atebwtri f blisters is to wear plastic bags on your feet. Could try that

Otherwise I've a technique of a bandage over a popper blister, a corn pad and another bandage.
  • apullum
    Possibly obvious question, but are you doing a lace lock? (https://vitals.lifehacker.com/prevent-running-shoe-blisters-with-a-lace-lock-1685672535) That may help with the slipping. However, if simple lacing techniques don't help and the problems persist, then the shoes may still not be right for you.

Did they measure your foot and tell you that you're actually wearing the wrong size? Or did they maybe size up to compensate for other issues? That can happen if you have a wide foot. I wear a 7.5 EE but my foot measures at a 6 4E. I have to go up several sizes to get enough width.