Christmas time

twdlove89
twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
edited December 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I’m just wondering if anyone else is not giving two craps about what they are eating over the next 3 days or so.
Struggling mentally with food and exercise and calorie counting I’ve decided to give myself 3days off from it all.
I’m still going to stay active and I’m not going to completely binge but I want to have fun with my family and not worry wether having a mince pie or some chocolate or an extra bit of stuffing is going to cause me to spiral into constant weight gain.
I’m going to do my usual exercise routine today but tomorrow and Boxing Day I want to spend time with family I rarely get to see. Please tell me I’m not the only person doing or thinking of doing this and that it’s not a bad thing

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I'm trying to be aware of what I'm eating without stressing over it. Plus it helps that I'm getting some extra long walks in with the dog (when it isn't raining). But overall I'm just not going to worry about it - it's a couple of days, I am not going to eat enough to regain 125 pounds!

But back to normal on Wednesday. I have found as long as I get back to my normal routine of food and exercise after a holiday/vacation/whatever I can keep my weight in a good range.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,796 Member
    edited December 2018
    I’m aware of what I eat but I don’t stress about it since Wednesday I’ll be focus more, :smiley:
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    twdlove89 wrote: »
    I’m just wondering if anyone else is not giving two craps about what they are eating over the next 3 days or so.
    Struggling mentally with food and exercise and calorie counting I’ve decided to give myself 3days off from it all.
    I’m still going to stay active and I’m not going to completely binge but I want to have fun with my family and not worry wether having a mince pie or some chocolate or an extra bit of stuffing is going to cause me to spiral into constant weight gain.
    I’m going to do my usual exercise routine today but tomorrow and Boxing Day I want to spend time with family I rarely get to see. Please tell me I’m not the only person doing or thinking of doing this and that it’s not a bad thing

Definitely *not* a bad thing!

I've been in maintenance for a few years now, having lost the 75 I wanted to, and one thing I've discovered is a few days off here and there are good for the soul. Have fun with your family, enjoy the holidays and just be mindful of what you're eating. A few days in excess of your normal intake certainly aren't a deal breaker. Enjoy!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I neither fear nor loathe the opportunity to make a special meal to share with my family. I'll probably get in an hour of cardio exercise anyway.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I hope you have a joyful Christmas with your family! One day, or even three days, will not derail your weight loss goals. It takes 3,500 calories to make a pound of fat, so if you ate that much over your maintenance calories for three days, you would have only gained three pounds. And most likely you will eat nowhere near that much, even with a slice of pie.

I'm a diabetic, which means my blood glucose needs me to stay within my tolerance for carbs. My pancreas doesn't know what day it is, unfortunately, and I don't like feeling bad and putting my health at risk. So I will be logging today, tomorrow, and every day. But within my tolerances I expect to eat food I enjoy and have fun, and I have planned to have my rest days fall on Christmas.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    I’m aware of every cookie, chocolate and tasty item that I’ve ate. I care, family gatherings take a toll in general so I’m going to eat, drink and deal with it after Christmas 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • JRiveraRodriguez
    JRiveraRodriguez Posts: 71 Member
    It’s not bad at all! everyone needs a break and to properly enjoy fellowship with family + friends. Don’t get in a rut, it’s all about balance.
  • rich_leahy2
    rich_leahy2 Posts: 1 Member
    A few days break is precisely what I’m doing...the habits and tools I have now mean I’m confident in taking a few pounds during the holidays, knowing I have everything I need to take them back when I’m ready. I’m not stopping exercise, just relaxing my food rules
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I tracked loosely and did not weigh anything. Gave myself a little cushion.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I went way over yesterday and will again today. I have a goal set with a deficit, so when I adhere to it I will offset this again. I about ~2 pounds under upper limit and I am not going to go 7000 over; probably only a couple of thousand total. Then I plan to trend lower until I get near the bottom of my range.

I am paddling in the surf this weekend and my wet suit was recently acquired from a friend who was sure it will fit me. It does, but like an Olympic skater racing suit. The legs are where it is the tightest. If I am a little bloated, it will cause some discomfort, but fit. Still gives me a reason not to go too crazy. I might get another chance or two to paddle before shoulder surgery on 1/18. I can paddle because that motion doesn't engage the rotator cuff or at least not enough to cause pain. Some other motions are extremely painful. Then no paddling until late April at the earliest.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Not only did I eat what I wanted over Christmas, I also skipped my normal gym routine in favor of walks with my family. I needed this break to get my head back into the game. It's been a hard year and it is nice to give in to the comfort of it all for a bit. Of course, going back to the gym next week will feel awful, but I need that reminder to stay on track sometimes. No shame.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    I ate some of everything my son prepared for Christmas dinner; I ate 3 Christmas cookies that weren't quite perfect enough to give away, and had 2 pieces of my homemade Turtle Cheesecake over the past 3 days. Everything was so delicious! I had banked some calories, and Christmas day only ate one meal, so I'm still within my calorie goal for the week. And, of course, I had time for my exercises. Happy and Healthy New Year to all of us on this journey!
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    I stopped logging on Christmas Eve, for the first time in nearly a year. For 3 days I ate and drank whatever I wanted and did zero exercise.

Weighed myself yesterday and I’m 4lb down.

Happy New Year.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I always care about what I eat, but I eat foods that taste really good and don't eat so much that I feel lousy. My calories are always over this week - but not by a lot.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    When I weighed yesterday, I was down 2 pounds from last week. At one point since Christmas, I was down 3 but that was a low spike from a "pipeline event" and light eating the day before which meant my gut was emptier than it had been in several days.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 941 Member
    I'm up 5lbs from before the holidays. :(

Not floored by this because I indulged for about 11 days straight...lol

Time to get disciplined & a daily calorie deficit before we go on our cruise on Feb 02nd! :)
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    I tracked everything I ate for my own peace of mind, but I did go over on several days. I don't feel guilty about it and I probably gained a pound or two which in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    I track three things. Calories, Protein, and body weight. But sometimes I can only track weight and be able to get along with ease in social situations. This holiday season is such a time. I simply set my calories back when I can track and lose the extra pounds...

However, at the rate I've been shedding new pounds, I suspect there is some kind of water retention at work when I eat more that usual.

Back when I was doing lowcarb/keto/primal I could not allow myself to eat freely. That worked for me but I enjoy doing this more for social reasons.