Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How to deal with comments

I take the whole cutting weight/bodybuilding diet/hitting macros thing pretty seriously and I'm kinda known in my groups for having a cooler full of meals in my truck, eating at certain times, protien shakes etc (yes I know meal timing isn't important. I like it. That's all. That's my reason for it.)

Anyways over thanksgiving, and now over Christmas, or whenever I decide to "cheat", I get comments about what's on my plate, what I'm eating etc. It's *kitten* annoying. It's "Omg you're eating bread" or "you know that's fried right?" Or "he won't eat ham it's too unhealthy" or "omg you're having 2 beers that's a lot of calories"

I probably heard this stuff 20 times in the last day and its damn annoying. I usually don't say anything or if I'm really irritated I say "yup. I do what I want" or something along those lines, nothing confrontational. But boy do I want to fire back. I don't, but I want to.

I don't get this. I don't comment on other peoples food. I don't say "oh, more cake huh?" Or "12 deep fried cheese sticks". It's getting old, really old. I want to say "Yes, I eat ultra lean meats so I can save my dietary fats for eating peanut butter by the table spoon. *kitten* off." When people say stuff like "oh he won't eat that it's not grassfed organic and massaged by monks" I wanna lose my *kitten*. That's not even close to true, the only thing in my fridge right now that organic is the ground elk, and I never even come close to saying stuff like that. I don't really even say anything about my food unless someone asks.

So, the debate is, what is the appropriate way to deal with these sort of comments? I can't be the only one who gets them. Is just being quiet or saying something non confrontational the right answer? Is it ever ok to fire back with a sharp tongue? Sould one try to explain things?

Replies

• My weird daily routine of carrying prepped meals - I don't mind discussing it - I guess I can see how it is a bit strange. To me it's really not strange at all, it's just something that people with serious fitness goals often do. I was around it plenty in the military, and even though back then I mostly counted cals in my head or just ate as much as I possibly could (dirty bulking, really fun, kinda miserable too), I did dabble in meal preps, and I never even blinked when someone's alarm went off and they pulled out a Tupperware. Tons of people do it. Athletes. Bodybuilders. Strongmen. Soldiers. Cyclists. I never even thought it was strange when I went back to it full time.

My weird habit aside - why is it socially acceptable for people to say "omg you're having bread and beer in the same meal" or "she can't have bacon she's too healthy", or just comment on someone's cutting/bulking "healthier" food choices in general but if anyone were to say "like you need 4 donuts" all *kitten* would break loose and its seen as insulting?
  • COGypsy wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I don’t discuss fitness or nutrition socially. Period.

I dont generally discuss it, but when an alarm on my phone goes off and I go out to my truck and bring in a Tupperware of chicken and vegetable chips people tend to ask questions. Or when they see a huge change...I went from obese, to obese but noticeably strong, to somewhere around just built big in the last 8 months.

Sounds like you go to considerable effort to be sure everyone around you is involved in your diet. Can’t be too surprising when comments follow.

Yeah? How is following a bodybuilding diet and meal timing making sure everyone else is involved? Kinda hard not to eat around people when I eat at 2, 4, 6, 8, and 1030. So *kitten* what if I carry a cooler full of prepped meals in my truck.

Seriously, what would you reccomend? I lift, go home, prep my meals, put it in my truck, and then go do whatever I planned to do that day. Am I supposed to go hide in my truck to eat and not eat in front of other people? Its not about flaunting or involving anyone, I like my meal timrd the way I have them and I don't usually deviate once I've planned my food for the day. The most I've ever involved anyone is grilling a steak and that's only at my parents, my uncle who lifts' house, or my friend who is also into lifting and eats a similar diet - and none of them have ever made a comment about anything.

You don't have to hide. But clearly you made sure people knew why you were eating what you were eating, or they wouldn't have all this information about what you will or won't eat. Just eat. Don't make your dietary choices a point of discussion. If someone asks why you're eating so often, just shrug, or at most say, "it's just how I like to eat." Nothing about how you're doing it as part of your quest for some optimal level of fitness.

And coupled with your other thread about how outrageous it was that a friend suggested after you shared info about a health challenge that you might be overdoing it, you seem to have a tendency to overreact to things other people say. You can't control what other people say, only how you react to it. What good are you doing yourself with a rage reaction?

Kinda hard for them not to know what you eat when you share a kitchen and a fridge

As far as rage reactions - the only the "pushing myself" thing prompted that. Probably the first time I've exploded like that in 9 months. More often than not I roll my eyes and don't say anything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I don’t discuss fitness or nutrition socially. Period.

I dont generally discuss it, but when an alarm on my phone goes off and I go out to my truck and bring in a Tupperware of chicken and vegetable chips people tend to ask questions. Or when they see a huge change...I went from obese, to obese but noticeably strong, to somewhere around just built big in the last 8 months.

Why? Is the alarm distracting?

I bring lunch most days (it's healthy, but its not like anyone really notices or cares what I eat unless I make a big thing of it). Lots of other people in my office bring lunch and bring healthy stuff, even.

When I lost weight people noticed and some asked what I was doing. If they seemed really interested or expressed they were trying to lose weight or had done it in the past I generally would engage in a conversation about it. If it was just casual, I'd laugh and say "eat less, work out more." One guy was being weird about it, so I said "kickboxing."

I don't find I get comments on what I eat, but I don't make a big thing of it.