Goals for 2019?

So what's everyone's goals for 2019?

I'm going for the 1000 lb club once and for all at age 50 this year. My sub-goal is to do this while only hitting the gym twice per week. I'm quitting the "chase for abs" and all that junk and don't care if I have to bulk to 220 lbs (body weight) to do it. I've been chasing it for a over two years now but shoulder pain and illiac crest pain has been holding me back. We'll see what happens.

Replies

• doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    I had a pretty good year in 2018, all things considered. Continued beyond the newbie gains and managed to eke out 15-20% gains on most major lifts.

I am looking to maintain a similar, albeit slower rate of gain in lifts this coming year while maintaining/slightly gaining weight. Specifically, I’d like to bench my body weight by the end of 2019. That will be a stretch, but within the realm of possibility.

I also expect to work more on my functional fitness, particularly with my flexibility and speed. Both of those I have neglected in the last couple of years to my detriment.

If I can do all of that while keeping a decent aesthetic (nothing amazing, but vastly improved from the dead skinny years), I’ll be happy.

Good luck to everyone in 2019!
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    So many goals right now. I really need to narrow them down. I'll be working on figuring this out over the next couple of days.
  • lemonginger35
    lemonginger35 Posts: 38 Member
    I wish to reduce 18 Kg.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    1: 200+ lbs. bodyweight.
    2: 550+ deadlift
    3: 500+ squat
    4: 300+ bench
    5: 200+ standing strict overhead press
    6: 25+ unbroken pullups
    7: accomplish all of the above while maintaining at least some semblance of visible abs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    billkansas wrote: »
    So what's everyone's goals for 2019?

I'm going for the 1000 lb club once and for all at age 50 this year. My sub-goal is to do this while only hitting the gym twice per week. I'm quitting the "chase for abs" and all that junk and don't care if I have to bulk to 220 lbs (body weight) to do it. I've been chasing it for a over two years now but shoulder pain and illiac crest pain has been holding me back. We'll see what happens.

Why not just add a third day of training instead of adding body weight? Or are you underweight by your standards?

1000lb is easily obtained with enough frequency and useful volume of training regardless. Good luck.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Goal for 2019... maintain and enjoy myself a bit more
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    edited December 2018
    This year I broke from the pack and started my diet in November, which means I'll go into January with some progress already made (11 of 50 pounds lost). The goal for 2019 is to finish the job. I've got other goals too, mostly related to my estate and my professional career, but they're not worth boring people on a health/fitness forum with.

CLARIFICATION: In saying I 'broke from the pack', hopefully you'll note the fact that many diets start (and many of those same diets end) in January; this is what I meant.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Signed up to run a marathon - will be my first
    to get strong enough to do a handstand
    joined a crossfit gym to be able to achieve my 2nd goal
    I'd also like to lose 5lbs- get back down to where I was last year... these 5lbs are stubborn...
  • terryad04
    terryad04 Posts: 20 Member
    Hey all. My goal for 2019 is too look like a Marvel Superhero lol. I have an account on Facebook and Instagram to monitor my progress. I would appreciate any feed back and suggestions.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    Keep up with lifting routine, keep things from getting stale (keep trying new variations, techniques), keep being practical in preventing injury, keep hitting daily activity/TDEE goals

Might be adding in some bodyweight/light lifting sessions during stretches of "off" (work) days; home gym is still a work in progress in terms of investing in efficient/minimalist equipment, budget, & space limitations.

Not much change needed if any, SSDD...calendar days are a poor excuse for trying to better one's self (any day is acceptable to start implementing long term goals & making incremental changes).
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I think I have it narrowed down:
    1. See some abs
    2. 5 unassisted chin ups (I really want ten but I can only do 1 right now)
    3. Unassisted pistol squat
    4. 15 sec freestanding handstand
    5. More yoga
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    It's cool to see everyone's goals. Thanks everybody!

Chieflrg- I'm keeping to two days per week just to see if it can be done. I'd like to strength train more, but this is keeping me hungry and I'm trying to maximize my time at home with kids. I'm not underweight, think my body fat is around 20% (even after my recent cut). I'm thinking if I continue to cut... I'll never make it to 1000. Don't necessarily want to gain weight but I'm getting nowhere strength wise by this ongoing cut.

Trying to run a two day a week, "The Bridge" or Barbell Medicine inspired program: and upping volume, lowering intensity. I need to start training my 1 rep maxes (@RPE 10) something I've never done. A little fearful of that because I'm feeling a bit of pain when I squat and deadlift heavy. Anyway, long story... probably too much info already!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    I'm STILL working on trying to find balance in my life. Good god, that's a tough one.

I am going to get back to tracking my food and work to lose the 10 -15 lbs pounds I gained. I don't know that I need my 6 pack back, but the roll (ok rolls) that came along for the ride is irritating me and messing with my self esteem. That said... I do kinda like the extra boobage. (I'm trying to decide what I liked more - flat tummy or boobs haha).

I am going to work on finding a schedule that will allow for me to lift at least 2x a week. I really want to resume powerlifting, and was seeing decent (albeit) slow gains at 2x a week. I want to hit that 300lb deadlift and 250lb squat. And my bench is embarrassing for me - so it's got to grow too. Competing really helped keep me focused, so maybe I'll look to find a comp to train for.

I also need to go fishing more. lol
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Train upper body more to attempt chin ups
  • Same as above, chin ups to be thrown in my usual routine until i learn to like them