Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

1161718192022»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    My mom did Curves for a while and loved it -- she was in her late 60s at the time, I think.
  • aliciaose
    aliciaose Posts: 5 Member
    I don’t use PF because it’s a “no intimidation gym.” I use it because it’s extremely inexpensive.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Yep, Curves' selling points translate across the Atlantic much better. The UK has 55 of them already, but even if I didn't know that already (thanks to the power of internet search engines), I'd be able to predict that Curves franchises could make it here.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    One of my friends has been a Curves member practically since it opened. She keeps going because it's simple and very social. She's made good friends there and does much better in that kind of environment because it suits her goals - stay active and maintain enough strength for everyday activities.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    I heard once a month free pizza and bagel night. I would have joined for the pizza 🍕
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    I’m sure it’s been said here somewhere, but in my opinion... the person who is intimidated and or insecure at the gym, will be that way no matter what gym they go to. So a gym with no intimidation is kind of a funny concept.

Trooth.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    I will never understand the hate PF or Curves get. If it's not your thing - don't go. For folks like myself that just want cardio and weights it's perfect. I have gone to the YMCA and 24 hour fitness, both WAY MORE EXPENSIVE for the same equipment and experience. It's not the PC culture that's the problem, it's people being jerks for no good reason that is the problem.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I dunno... but a $10.00 membership fee sounds like a bargain for the comedic value of a Planet Fitness lifetime ban.

And an even better bargain considering I asked them to please get the Super Bowl off the TVs and show Heidi and Bright Eyes featuring The Good Ship Lollipop starring Shirley Temple and they did.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I dunno... but a $10.00 membership fee sounds like a bargain for the comedic value of a Planet Fitness lifetime ban.

And an even better bargain considering I asked them to please get the Super Bowl off the TVs and show Heidi and Bright Eyes featuring The Good Ship Lollipop starring Shirley Temple and they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    The squat and hip hinge (deadlift) are two of the basic human movements. To me it is strange that a facility that says they are promoting health, effectively prohibits these movements in their facility.