Better Choice than coffee creamer

I am a HUGE coffee lover. I am a mom to 4 kids and I'm still up through out the night with 2 of them so for me coffee is a necessity! I am looking for something healthier than coffee creamer. I've tried black coffee with a sugar substitute and it just doesn't work for me. I like the different flavors of the creamer. Any suggestions for a healthier version would be greatly appreciated! 😃

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    What do you mean by healthier? Lower calorie? Is there an ingredient you're trying to avoid? How much creamer are you having per day?

Have you tried just using less? Maybe by flavored coffee beans and then just use milk? Why didn't the black coffee and sweetener work?
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    You should try to find a coffee you can tolerate drinking black (try a few different kinds, and it does take some getting used to). What I do is have only one cup with creamer (whenever I'll be able to sit down and enjoy it the most), and then anymore before or after that is just black. I can't do sugar substitutes at all cause they're all disgusting, but the fat free creamers don't tend to be too bad and have a few less calories.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    starbucks has a sugar free cinnamon syrup that I like, but it's about the only flavor that I like that's sugar-free

put cinnamon in your coffee grounds when you brew

find better coffee so you like it black??? Kona and jamaica blue mountain are my favorites, or sumatra if you can find a lightly roasted version, it's bitter when it's over roasted
  • Elucy321
    Elucy321 Posts: 10 Member
    i'm the same way... it just isn't the same as the richness and smooth taste with creamer. BUT... I have found that using the sugar free is way more tolerable than i thought - or you could go with a sugar free flavored syrup to add to your coffee and use almond milk or coconut milk instead of a heavier cream
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    If you don't mind dairy free, a lot of people swear by the brand Nut Pods for flavored creamers, but I have yet to try it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I put a little chocolate fair life milk (2 tbsp) with some real sugar or splenda. You could also try adding some real vanilla extract if you like vanilla.
  • Shiree130
    Shiree130 Posts: 9 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    What do you mean by healthier? Lower calorie? Is there an ingredient you're trying to avoid? How much creamer are you having per day?

Have you tried just using less? Maybe by flavored coffee beans and then just use milk? Why didn't the black coffee and sweetener work?

Healthier as in lower calorie and less sugar. I'm having about 1/4 cup total in a day (not all in 1 cup). I have tried using less but I can't taste the flavor which is really what I'm wanting. Black coffee and sweetener didnt work because it doesn't have a flavor. So really if I could find a way to flavor my coffee I would be happy.
  • Shiree130
    starbucks has a sugar free cinnamon syrup that I like, but it's about the only flavor that I like that's sugar-free

put cinnamon in your coffee grounds when you brew

find better coffee so you like it black??? Kona and jamaica blue mountain are my favorites, or sumatra if you can find a lightly roasted version, it's bitter when it's over roasted

I will try these out, thank you!
  • Shiree130
    Elucy321 wrote: »
    i'm the same way... it just isn't the same as the richness and smooth taste with creamer. BUT... I have found that using the sugar free is way more tolerable than i thought - or you could go with a sugar free flavored syrup to add to your coffee and use almond milk or coconut milk instead of a heavier cream

Sounds good, I'll be trying this. Thanks!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2018
    Shiree130 wrote: »

Healthier as in lower calorie and less sugar. I'm having about 1/4 cup total in a day (not all in 1 cup). I have tried using less but I can't taste the flavor which is really what I'm wanting. Black coffee and sweetener didnt work because it doesn't have a flavor. So really if I could find a way to flavor my coffee I would be happy.

Gotcha. There are some sugar-free varieties, might be worth a shot. I don't remember the brand, but one of the "alternative milk" brands had a vanilla almond milk creamer that was pretty low cal.

In your case, a flavored coffee bean with a little milk might give you the flavor you're looking for, or sugar-free coffee syrups, I think Torani is a popular brand (not sure of the spelling).

I'll add, you do sometimes have to give your taste a little time to change! I didn't like my coffee as much when I switched from creamer to milk at first, but after a week it wasn't that bad, and after a month I couldn't believe I used to cover up the flavor of coffee so much with the creamer. Same with switching from regular soda to diet - the first few days I wasn't sure I'd ever get used to it, but now I can't imagine switching back.

Anyway, sounds like you have lots of options to try now - good luck!
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    I use vanilla almond milk. Don't know if it's any healthier but at least it's fewer calories.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    I use half & half! It provides creaminess but is lower calorie than standard creamers. The pods of it are 10 cals each or you could buy the carton from the refrigerated section. I second the suggestion about trying flavored coffee!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Shiree130 wrote: »

Flavored coffee beans, milk, and a little sugar?

I used to add half & half and sugar, but now I add chocolate protein powder, almond flavored Teeccino, soaked chia seeds and dried coconut, and call it breakfast.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    I just have a tablespoon of full fat cream for 66 calories.
  • Shiree130
    There’s a syrup brand called skinny syrups and they have like 20 flavors. My favorites are the maple bourbon pecan, caramel cheesecake and peanut butter cup, and it takes about a teaspoon to REALLY sweeten an 8oz cup of coffee at zero calories. Then I add in some almond milk and good to go! They also make chocolate syrup and whipped topping that’s either low or zero calorie.

This sounds great! Thank you.
  • staleyross_a
    staleyross_a Posts: 1 Member
    I'm right there with you. I don't hate black coffee but I crave flavor and creaminess in my morning coffee. I switched to using a protein drink mixed in with my morning coffee which I drink after my morning workout. I use premier protein drinks in the chocolate and vanilla flavors and just add it to my coffee. I like iced coffee best so I use a whole one and it makes my coffee cold, but you could use just a little to get the flavor and some nutritional value along with it (protein). Sometimes I'll also make a coffee shake with half a banana and that gets me the caffeine I need with some sweetness and creaminess.
  • queenoscots
    queenoscots Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks for asking this question. I'm the same way about my coffee, so the answers are helpful to me as well!