Alternative to push-ups??

I can't do them. I can't even do wall push-ups bc my wrists hurt instantly when I put any weight on them. Hoping that will change down the road when I've lost more weight, but for now, is there something else that is just as good to do as a push up?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Use a couple of dumbbells, wrap your fingers around them and hold your wrists straight. Saves on the wrist bend.

Cheers, h.
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Maybe start with hand and wrist exercises for a month to two months, then do dumbbell presses and curls until you build the strength to do a 30 second plank. After a few months of regular practice the push ups will come as a natural progression.

I have found the SKLZ> grip exercise tools to be very effective because they can be adjusted from easy when starting to very challenging when you have built hand and wrist strength.

Persistence is the most important ingredient, IMO!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    My wrists hurt a lot with pushups but not as much on chest press.
  • Nixonz
    Nixonz Posts: 16 Member
    How about doing planks?

• middlehaitch
    Nixonz wrote: »
    How about doing planks?

Same strain on the wrists. h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I have a wrist with a bone chip in it that sometimes gets inflamed and hurts during push-ups. I've found that countertop push-ups allow me to press through the base of my hands without putting weight on my wrists. It takes a little doing to find the right angle. Try it, maybe you can find a position that works for you.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    tape your wrists before training (?)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I would try to address the wrist pain as soon as possible. That is what is important. In the mean time can you do them on your fists and keep your wrists straight?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    How about doing planks?

You can do forearm planks.

As for alternatives, I do inverted rows. It's a pulling motion instead and works a lot of the same muscles.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Half push ups. Some say baby push ups. If your wrist hurts use wrist wraps. When I use to lift heavy my wrist use to hurt but by using wraps it was ok. Also buy hand grips. It will help in strengthen your wrist.
  • Mschmitt1119
    Mschmitt1119 Posts: 65 Member
    You can always find a soft mat, and do push-ups on your fist 🤜. That way your wrist isn’t bending since you make a fist, and your Knuckles won’t hurt since they are on a mat. If you need to, start with the ones when your on your knees and work your way up to standard pushups. If your wrist still hurts doing that you may want to get your wrist checked out to be safe.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    Chest presses. I use a stability ball.
  • middlehaitch
    capaul42 wrote: »
    How about doing planks?

You can do forearm planks.

As for alternatives, I do inverted rows. It's a pulling motion instead and works a lot of the same muscles.

Ha! Completely forgot about forearm planks. Thanks.

Cheers, h.