Salad Dressing...what do you use??

What’s your fav salad dressing to use???

Replies

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixed in equal parts, generally one tablespoon each if I’m having a “monster” salad.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    When lazy, Kraft zesty Italian. When not lazy, good quality olive oil plus something sour/tart, often citrus juice or vinegar, with spices if I'm feeling fancy. One of my favorite tricks used to be adding a spoonful of jam or jelly to dressing, but I don't often want that much sugar since becoming diabetic. Avocado, buttermilk, or Greek yogurt are good bases if you like creamy dressings.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Make my own. Vinaigrette (but you can cut the amount of olive oil easily) when calories aren't an issue, mustard (spicy mustards are the best) with red wine vinegar is a super low cal option (sometimes I add garlic too).

For an Asian-style salad a low cal option is soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, and a little fish sauce.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I just use balsamic vinegar.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I make my own, different every time, a serving at a time. Having a whole bottle all the same flavor that I have to use up doesn't make me happy; I like being able to follow my whim when I make the salad.

The base is usually either vinegar or plain yogurt, but it can be citrus. To the base, I add different things: For any of those, it could be finely minced fresh garlic, any combination of herbs, or spices. To vinegar, sometimes I add prepared mustard or finely grated ginger root. To the yogurt, sometimes bleu cheese or grated parmesan. Usually I don't do vinegar and oil, because I normally prefer to add some seeds or nuts to the salad instead of oil, though once in a while I do use some toasted sesame oil with rice wine or ume plum vinegar, or olive oil with other vinegars. Tahini is another option to mix with vinegar, or thin and season to use as a dressing on its own.

(I love vinegar and usually have several in the pantry, not mostly flavored ones, but different types: Apple cider, red wine, white wine, regular and white balsamic, coconut, malt, rice wine, champagne, sherry, etc. The ume plum is flavored, and I have a pear-infused that I like sometimes. I use the vinegars in sauces for main dishes and on cooked veggies, too.)

Once in a while, I dress a salad with salsa/pico de gallo.

This is roughly my approach, although I often include olive oil, and I might use buttermilk or kefir for a base if I happen to have either on hand, although it's not that different from thinned yogurt. If the salad has avocado and/or citrus fruit, I'll often use prepared mustard and honey.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    I tend to use none as I love the taste of the salad ingredients and find most dressings take way from that
    If I use a little it is the juice from my sweet and sour gherkins or some lemon or orange zest
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Kraft Fat Free French. I love French dressing, but most are 200 ish calories for 1 serving. This one is 45 calories per serving and it tastes really good. I take a bottle with me when I go to restaurants where I plan to eat a pre dinner salad.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Usually hummus, salad cream, mayo or cream cheese.
  • lmeenach3
    lmeenach3 Posts: 3 Member
    Bolthouse farms ranch. Or make ranch with light buttermilk. Skim milk. And hidden valley buttermilk ranch packet. Also like the simply dressing light balsamic
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited December 2018
    Walden farms 0 calorie honey dijon or fat free balsamic (10-15 cal depending on brand), I then add hot sauce, mustard, truvia and a plethora of spices to my salads to create my own "dressing/topping".
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I always have a basic balsamic vinaigrette recipe made and in the refrigerator in 1/2 pint jar (great for mixing, storing, and serving). 2:1 ratio oil to vinegar. Mix up types of oil and vinegar for different tastes. Minced shallot, minced garlic (I use garlic powder as I don’t care for pieces of garlic) 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, to taste. Sometimes I just use a flavor infused vinegar on my salad. It’s surprisingly good and saves a lot of calories.
    Balsamic vinaigrette is also great for marinating boneless skinless chicken breasts.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I make my own, lots of different flavours on the spicy side: Hungarian with smoked paprika, curry, chili pesto, green mango atchar, herbs and fresh garlic, marinated lemon.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Another praise for Bolthouse Ranch. You can have two tablespoons for 45 calories. I use it on sandwiches too and cut it down to one tablespoon. This stuff is just as good as restaurant style ranch.

If I'm craving tangy I just splash a little red wine vinegar on top. No oil.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    I like this one:
    3guiqj9cm5tw.jpg

k1bl0irsbeg5.jpg

Caesar is my dressing of choice, and it's a pain to make at home and not worth the effort. I rarely need more than 15g, even for a huge salad.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I just use balsamic vinegar.

This is what I do. I buy high quality balsamic vinegar and just use that. No oil needed for me.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Just extra virgin olive oil and some herbs and maybe a lil sea salt.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Balsamic vinegar base salad dressing is wicked
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Another praise for Bolthouse Ranch. You can have two tablespoons for 45 calories. I use it on sandwiches too and cut it down to one tablespoon. This stuff is just as good as restaurant style ranch.

If I'm craving tangy I just splash a little red wine vinegar on top. No oil.

Yes, this! The Bolthouse yogurt ranch is insanely good. I was surprised. As opposed to fat free ranch, which I find disgusting and would rather dry salad.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    I like the Kraft fat free thousand island, french, and catalina. Not because of the lower fat but because of the lower calories.

Don't care for ranch or oil/vinegar dressings.