Running

blackwidow1294
blackwidow1294 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Anytime I'm watching a movie or a TV show and I see someone running I wish I could run like them. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Does anyone else ever long for the freeddom you get from running? I've just gotten too fat to run and be able to enjoy it safely.

Replies

• caindove11
    caindove11 Posts: 73 Member
    Just take it one day at a time. If you are able, start off by walking and go from there.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Start walking! Build your way up to running. Everyone starts off not being able to do much. When I started running this year, I couldn’t even do 1 like. Now I’m up to 4 and planning on a half marathon in September.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Being fat doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t run safely. I started running at my highest weight. My BMI was 42.

If you are able to walk for about 30 minutes comfortably, and you don’t have any medical conditions that would prevent you from running, then you can start C25K to learn to run.

If you’re not yet able to walk that distance, or if your doctor tells you not to run, start by walking the distance that’s comfortable for you and gradually increase it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Being fat doesn't mean you can't run, it just means you need to build up your fitness slowly. Mirna Valerio is a plus sized woman who runs ultras and blogs about it. She started a very popular FB group called FatGirlsRunning. There are a lot of very big women who are out pursuing their dreams. Another group called TrailDames celebrates 'women of a curvy nature' getting out on the trails, hiking and backpacking. Don't let your size stop you. Start with what you can do, and build from there to what you want to be able to do.
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks for the group comments @spiriteagle99 , I'll check them out. Currently suck at running, and it's quite defeating. (I'm over all pretty positive about fitness-y stuff - just not running lol)
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    5 years ago I couldn’t run a mile. I joined a local training group to train for a marathon. My first practice involved me running out of breathe just by running to the corner. I ran the given distance and worked on improving my stamina during 26 weeks. The one thing I learned from becoming a long distance runner is that I gained confidence. But before I started I was determined with a goal. I was sick and tired of wanting things, so I decided push myself. Like everyone above has said: Start by walking or by starting with the C25k app (I probably wrote the name wrong))
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Anytime I'm watching a movie or a TV show and I see someone running I wish I could run like them. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Does anyone else ever long for the freeddom you get from running? I've just gotten too fat to run and be able to enjoy it safely.

I used to wish that. These day I don't; I am that person.
    As others suggested I started walking and lost weight. It is then that I started running something I used to hate with a vengeance and now love doing.
    It takes more than wishing but it can be done
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

No, because I became a runner.

Just because you can't run now, doesn't mean you can't ever be a runner.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I was told I would never run again due to knee injuries. I run 5k through mountain trails a few days a week now. You can become a runner if you really want to. For me I had to work with PT and building up the muscles that support my joints, I hiked the trails I run now for months, and used the couch to 5k app to ease into running.

I still probably won’t ever be able to run long distance. If I go more than about 4 miles my knees start to hurt and swell. That’s ok. If it changes someday that would be awesome but in the meantime I’m loving the runs I can do.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited January 2019
    Walk a bit. Then rest. Then walk a bit further. Rest a bit more. Repeat as often as you like.

When you feel comfortable with walking at a steady pace for 20 mins or so invest in a good pair (not necessarily expensive, but good) of running trainers and download or print off a couch to 5k plan.

Follow the plan and take as long as you like. The moment you do the first 30 second run on the first day, congratulations! You’re a runner.

Repeat.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was 256lbs and started with walking. Over the course of two years I have become an avid runner as I work toward a healthy weight. There's a lot of great plans out there to get started (like C25K).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member

Nope. Haven't run since I got out of the military and no one could make me run anymore. However, there are plenty of other forms of cardio I enjoy.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I run a lot of races and see runners of all sizes. And running IS amazing and freeing...I say go for it as much as you can without risking your health. You don’t have to be thin to run!
  • roselark36
    roselark36 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2019
    I love running! I am still about 70 pounds from my goal weight (after a 20 pound post lay-off gain), but running has helped me lose 100 pounds...partly due to the exercise, but mostly the motivation. I started when I heard about the Walt Disney World races and I thought that was the most awesome thing ever and I wanted to do it! I have completed 17 half marathons and countless 5Ks and 10Ks. Check out the Jeff Galloway RunWalkRun method. It is FABULOUS! Remember, you don't have to go fast...in fact that will increase the potential for injury. Take it easy and slow and enjoy it.

Also, don't train for a half thinking you will lose a lot of weight. Rungry is a dangerous condition. ;p Which is why I am still trying to hit my goal 4 years after the initial 100 pound loss. I am in no real hurry though!
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    I really recommend the couch to 5k programme. I'm 16st 5 and have been running for 6 weeks now. A lot of it is about mind set and believing that you can do it as well as pacing yourself so that you can. There's not been one run that I've had to redo or not been able to complete so far.

You've got this! I've got a thread in the couch 2 5k group for my diary of runs x