Feedbackfrom experienced maintainers please

As of this morning, I am .2 pounds from the upper end of my maintenance range (134-138). Part of me doesn't want to change anything since what I have been doing has worked wonderfully (45 pounds in 5 months). But, I really should not lose much more (136 is the midpoint BMI for my height.) So ... here is my plan:

1. Change setting to 1 pound per week from 1.5 until my weight is at 136 for at least 1 full week.

2. Then, change setting to .5 per week until my weight is at 134 for at least 1 full week.

3. Go to maintenance setting. Monitor and adjust as e essay to stay in maintenance weight range.

I plan to maintain current fitness regimen as is since it supports other, non-weight goals.

Feedback? Any suggestions/changes?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2018
    It's a good idea to ramp up your calorie intake rather than just jumping from 1.5 pounds per week to maintenance. The general recommendation that I see posted is to increase your daily goal by 100 calories each week or two until you find your sweet spot.

That 4 pound range would be narrow for me since my water weight flops around more than that.

I look at my weight trend so that I don't end up micromanaging or getting concerned about my weight on any particular day. Personally, I keep my calorie goal at a 0.5 pound deficit and then have a high-calorie meal about once per week to even things out.

ancocb4wb9ls.jpg
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'd go to the 0.5 per week setting. But then, I lost my last 20 pounds at that level, and I was legit hungry. I guess if you can make it work at the one pound setting, more power to you.

Maintenance is still a little bit of a juggling act in that first year - or it was for me. Patience and don't freak out.

Glad I'm not the only one hungry even at the .5 per week level. Sometimes being small stinks :grumble: I'm amazed when I see people my size and smaller losing 1 pound or more a week! I know I could stand to be more active, but even then > activity = > hunger for me, so it's a wash.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Have you checked body measurements, if you've been monitoring them? There's always the chance that you're gaining muscle rather than fat. BMI is an excellent tool, but isn't perfect either.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    Don't forget to read the stickies at the top of the forum. Some good info there for you also. Congrats on getting ready to enter maintenance. IMO the most IMPORTANT part of the whole MFP plan.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'd go to the 0.5 per week setting. But then, I lost my last 20 pounds at that level, and I was legit hungry. I guess if you can make it work at the one pound setting, more power to you.

Maintenance is still a little bit of a juggling act in that first year - or it was for me. Patience and don't freak out.

Glad I'm not the only one hungry even at the .5 per week level. Sometimes being small stinks :grumble: I'm amazed when I see people my size and smaller losing 1 pound or more a week! I know I could stand to be more active, but even then > activity = > hunger for me, so it's a wash.

Agreed. I lost all 25 lbs by chipping away at a half pound a week or less. No way could I do any more than that.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Thank you everyone for your input. I am glad that I am on a reasonable path and your comments have helped me reconsider a couple of things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,955 Member
    I hope you've read the maintaining stickies. If not, just as a piece of shameless self promotion (my specialty), I rambled on a bit about methods to get to maintenance here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level

. . . which happily provoked a bunch of actual knowlegeable people to say genuine useful things in reply. On the basis of their helpful comments, it's worth a read. ;)
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,236 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I hope you've read the maintaining stickies. If not, just as a piece of shameless self promotion (my specialty), I rambled on a bit about methods to get to maintenance here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638211/how-to-find-your-maintenance-calorie-level

. . . which happily provoked a bunch of actual knowlegeable people to say genuine useful things in reply. On the basis of their helpful comments, it's worth a read. ;)

Yes ... it was much recommended (appropriately so, I might add! :smile: )
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I’d work with longer time horizons. 1 week isn’t very long for anything in weight loss.
    Keep planning, counting and logging.