Is this why I gained weight?

HanMW96
HanMW96 Posts: 51 Member
edited January 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I was 9st3 on 23rd of December, then 9st7 on Boxing day. Back to 9st2 on Saturday morning, but I had a nausea bug/stomach flu thing on Sunday and yesterday (but I wasn't sick) - I took medicine for that. Today, I am probably one or two days away from starting my period and I weighed 9st8 just before my tea (7pmish) 😭 I workout a lot, and I don't look any fatter, just a tad bloated from my bug and probably PMS. Do you think it's real weight/fat gain or just temporary due to the aforementioned?? I'm fixated on numbers 😭

Replies

• HanMW96
    edited January 2019
    HanMW96 wrote: »
    I was 9st3 on 23rd of December, then 9st7 on Boxing day. Back to 9st2 on Saturday morning, but I had a nausea bug/stomach flu thing on Sunday and yesterday (but I wasn't sick) - I took medicine for that. Today, I am probably one or two days away from starting my period and I weighed 9st8 just before my tea (7pmish) 😭 I workout a lot, and I don't look any fatter, just a tad bloated from my bug and probably PMS. Do you think it's real weight/fat gain or just temporary due to the aforementioned?? I'm fixated on numbers 😭

Why are you weighing yourself at different times of the day? If you do that you're guaranteed to get a different weight on the scales.

Should I stop weighing myself?

• HanMW96
    Do you think it's real weight/fat gain
    No.
    or just temporary due to the aforementioned??
    Yes.
    I'm fixated on numbers 😭
    Don't be. If you weight in every day, stop. It's clearly only messing with your head and not helping.

Should I stop weighing myself?
  • kirstyuffendale
    kirstyuffendale Posts: 8 Member
    I try to only weigh myself once a week always at the same time of day. Sometimes if i feel im having a good week i have a sneaky peek but thats probably not a good idea as your weight can fluctuate day to day.
  • HanMW96
    sijomial wrote: »
    You say you are fixated by numbers so what does your calorie counting tell you?
    Did you eat enough of a calorie surplus to add a few pounds of fat?

Nothing wrong with weighing daily, but there's a lot wrong in misunderstanding and stressing over what your normal weight fluctuations actually mean.

I eat maintenance amounts usually, unless I'm dramatically underestimating..
  • HanMW96

Nothing wrong with weighing daily, but there's a lot wrong in misunderstanding and stressing over what your normal weight fluctuations actually mean.

So logically how could it be fat gain without a substantial calorie surplus?

I'm just paranoid..
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2019

I'm just paranoid..

I see you are recovering/recovered? from an eating disorder. Please try to realize how illogical these thoughts are and how it is not worth it to be paranoid if your weight isn't exactly the same every single day. You know you didn't gain if you didn't eat a caloric surplus. <3
  • HanMW96

I'm just paranoid..

I see you are recovering/recovered? from an eating disorder. Please try to realize how illogical these thoughts are and how it is not worth it to be paranoid if your weight isn't exactly the same every single day. You know you didn't gain if you didn't eat a caloric surplus. <3

I classify myself as recovered from my eating disorder, but I am still hyper-aware of my weight and I tend to fixate on numbers (not just in terms of weight, but in all aspects of life), and I lack body confidence.. I know numbers don't matter, especially as I don't think I look fatter anc my fitness hasn't decreased, bug for some reason I hate seeing the scale read above 9st4 🙄
  • HanMW96

I'm just paranoid..

Maybe reading the book The Chimp Paradox would help?

You are having an emotional (a.k.a. chimp) response to a piece of data that should be processed by the logical part of the brain instead.
    The numbers on your bathrooms scales and in your food logging are all about data and that's how you should really be processing them, just data not emotion.

Thank you, I might try that
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 874 Member
    I weigh myself often. However my Monday weigh in is the one that truly gives me anxiety if it's climbing. I lost a bit of discipline & have gained because I was in a surplus calorie range for an extended period of time. :(

What is important to me now is I recognized why gained & it's up to me to scale it back to get back to my normal weight range. :)
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    I don’t have scales in my house or I would weigh myself all the time and I know that’s not good for me. I’ve eaten soooo much since Christmas and I know I’ve put weight on, my pms doesn’t help either but thankfully when my daughter starts nursery next week I know I will get back on track and lose it all. My clothes still fit me so that’s a bonus but I’m just trying to see it all as a marathon and not a sprint. We all have ups and downs and if this is my down then so be it but I’m trying to not let it effect me mentally.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    16 oz of water weighs ~ 1lb.

Anytime one goes through a hormonal change your cells take on extracellular water to defend against change - water weight. This goes away after 5-7 days just as a high salt meal will.

You didn't gain any fat. Don't look at the daily details and instead focus on months/years over hours/days.