Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Deb_140 wrote: »
    I am starting with a goal to remain AF weekly from Sunday - Thursday (work nights).
    Hi, @Deb_140, I started in 2018 with a Dry January and then went to pretty much that plan (Mon-Thurs AF for me), and found I was way more able to stick to that after no booze in January. Best of luck to you!

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    I had posted this in a different message thread, but wanted to repost here in case it's useful to anyone:
    A public service announcement/FYI: I did Dry January in 2018 too and I'm on their mailing list. Got this email on 12/22:
    Hello,
    Today you may have received an email about the app ‘Dry Days’ from someone named ‘Sophia Taylor’. Dry Days is run by the previous provider of the Dry January app, a company called Cyberliver/Zanec, but is no longer connected with Dry January. Dry Days is not the Dry January app.
    The new, official Dry January app is called Try Dry: the Dry January app, and you can find out more about it here.
    https://alcoholchange.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/dry-january/get-involved/the-dry-january-app?utm_source=Dry+January+2015-18+app+users+-+DATA+EMAIL&utm_campaign=4b6aa2098e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_21_04_53_COPY_06&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_887364c8b4-4b6aa2098e-77897597
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Oh, Orphia, the last time I spent $$$1000 on my daughters was backing the purchase of some acreage of rocks and pines on a tiny Maine Isle a musselshell toss from the water. Much more enjoyable than having my bank account hacked this week !! At least [or best] was with no access to funds, I can't buy booze. Strength is saying "No thanks" when offered a bottle of wine to "tide me over"....Hurrah for me.
    Adjusting my AF streak til January 13...a full 7 months. Why not ?? Karma has spoken.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited January 2019
    My aim is regulation.
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    My goal is 4 - 5 AF days per week.
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.
    I do plan to have champagne NYE.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st -
    January 2nd -
    January 3rd -
    January 4th -
    January 5th -
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    I would like to join in. I had decided I wanted to do Dry January. I did this two years ago and found it to be good for a variety of reasons. However now I am thinking I might want to go for 100 days. I guess I will see how Dry January goes first and then see about the 100 days next.
  • canyon05
    canyon05 Posts: 2 Member
    Happy New Year everyone. My goal is to reduce beer consumption so I can lose weight. Rarely drink wine or hard liquor but like IPA beer. Did "no alcohol January" two years ago and was able to lose weight. Cheers...
  • rrobynec
    rrobynec Posts: 5 Member
    I am going to join this challenge. My intent is a Dry January but I'm not sure it will come to pass.
    Gonna take it one day at a time!
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    I did not exactly have a drinking problem but I did stop drinking cold turkey with one simple change to my life, I got my carry concealed permit. I am not saying that will work for everyone but what I am saying is protecting my wife and kids is more important than disarming myself to have a drink. Good luck to you all.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    After a very indulgent holiday, I am committing to a dry January. One day down, 30 to go!

Good luck to everyone on your journey, whatever it may be! We got this.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    My aim is regulation.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd -
    January 3rd -
    January 4th -
    January 5th -
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,547 Member
    My aim is regulation.

January 1st - AF

Love everything you have stated above. One down for you...one day at a time.

I myself have not ever had a completely dry single full month AF. November 23 ran through December 22 for a streak of 30 days straight of no alcohol. It is "my own" personal quest, goal, target what ever you want to call it, to call a month dry. Then back to my conscious minding of limited alcohol. I have to go back through my 2018 health/fitness calander to calculate my monthly tallies. (Only because I am a number and stats person)

Nice to see our little group growing again to support each other. Great to have you all.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Hi. I’m Megan (33), communications trainer and mom to two boys (4yo and 19mo). I’m here to cut back on my drinking and be more conscious of using alcohol to unwind at the end of a stressful day. I’m trying to lose weight, and I know alcohol doesn’t help (empty calories and uninhibited snacking).

December 31st - I had wine and champagne. I think 6 drinks between 5pm and 1am.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd -AF
    January 3rd -
    January 4th -
    January 5th -
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • MissMay
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses

Guess we are going to need a bottle for this event and also an address so we can all attend. 30 years in the books for you. Awesome.

Nice job with the preplanning.
  • MissMay
    Good for your Grandson @forestdweller1. He is listening with his ears and eyes.

Lol have not taken the cork out of that prosecco to check on it since I put it back in. Husband will more than likely be the one to let me know it is flat. Congrats on the skinny clothes being loose. Time for a shopping spree?!