Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    I'm in. I did a Sober October and I'm ready to have another AF month for my health and wellness. I'd like to go back into drinking with moderation, but over the holidays I definitely overindulged. I need a good reset. Might go further than just January...
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm in not just for the weight loss potential but I work out very early am and not liking my performance. Way to much wine in my life. I also don't like me when I drink.
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    I would like to join. I was doing well with cutting back before Thanksgiving and my stomach was flattening. I had some alcohol free wines, but not sure if that is a good idea or not. The Ariel brand seems to be lowest sugar/calorie. If anyone has any other suggested brands in either Red or White I would be interested. Good Luck to all.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    I'm in not just for the weight loss potential but I work out very early am and not liking my performance. Way to much wine in my life. I also don't like me when I drink.

Same here @cyndit1 For me it’s less about the extra calories and more about the poor quality calories. As much as I would love a glass of burgundy- I feel like 💩 many times even after 1 glass and my skin looks best when I’m vino-celibate.
  • MudRiverRunner
    MudRiverRunner Posts: 6 Member
    I'm doing dry January as well! Changing the way I eat by consciously making decisions about what I eat. I don't know if that's a real thing but I know I usually just see something want it and it without thinking.
  • jonewe05
    jonewe05 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm in. I reckon 50% of my excess weight is directly attributable to alcohol and the other 50% to poor food choices and sloth as an indirect result.
  • NursKers
    NursKers Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in! Much needed!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I am 45 days today Alcohol Free! And will continue with Dry January. I set out on a goal hoping to make it through the holidays, and especially NodrinkDecember, and now I want to do more. I read This Naked Mind and it really helped me change my mindset. I wanted to do this to finally get back to losing again but it's become much more.

First couple of days of not drinking I noticed weight loss, and it's just continued. So many calories in drinking if you aren't careful with it, so now I am back on a losing streak. Been 50 days logged in to MFP. Anyone who wants to add me feel free!

Good luck to you and everyone else seeking a dry January!!

This Naked Mind has a really good podcast, too. Short ones, like 10-20 minutes. I really like the podcast.
  • mw1551
    mw1551 Posts: 4 Member
    Anyone have ideas for fun non-alcoholic drinks that are also not full of sugar? I'm attending a late Christmas party this Saturday at a bar and I need some alternative options.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    i binged a load in November and december and it started to be an issue do dry january is a start for me, may continue it longer or for 90% of my time... we will see how it goes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    mw1551 wrote: »
    Anyone have ideas for fun non-alcoholic drinks that are also not full of sugar? I'm attending a late Christmas party this Saturday at a bar and I need some alternative options.

When I first quit drinking I drank mostly soda with a little fruit juice. Like Perrier and a splash of cranberry with a lime. Then I went to Perrier with a lemon slice, no juice. It looks like a drink, so people didn't want to ask me questions.

Now? I rarely drink anything other than plain ice water or coffee or hot tea.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    I am 45 days today Alcohol Free! And will continue with Dry January. I set out on a goal hoping to make it through the holidays, and especially NodrinkDecember, and now I want to do more. I read This Naked Mind and it really helped me change my mindset. I wanted to do this to finally get back to losing again but it's become much more.

First couple of days of not drinking I noticed weight loss, and it's just continued. So many calories in drinking if you aren't careful with it, so now I am back on a losing streak. Been 50 days logged in to MFP. Anyone who wants to add me feel free!

Good luck to you and everyone else seeking a dry January!!

I downloaded the Naked Mind on my Audible app to listen to in the car during my commute, I'm about 5 chapters in and so far I like it! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    On to day four and feel great! I have more energy and thinking clearer! To help inspire me as well I am counting the calories I am saving by not drinking wine. I am going to start doing weighing in on Jan 7 and every week after that! How is everyone doing?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    FYI, check if it helps really cool Dry January apps. Try Dry: Dry January, Dry days of Alcochange. All the best!
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Is everyone ready to tackle the weekend alcohol free?!?

Weekends (especially Friday nights and Saturday nights) are the extreme test for me as I've gotten myself into such a habit of not sitting down on the couch to a show/movie without my red wine in my hand. It's embarrassing to admit this, but it's probably been more than a year since I've gone an entire weekend without at least some amount of wine.

So, cheers to flavored carbonated water this weekend! We got this :)
  • freshkemp440
    freshkemp440 Posts: 3 Member
    jonewe05 wrote: »
    I'm in. I reckon 50% of my excess weight is directly attributable to alcohol and the other 50% to poor food choices and sloth as an indirect result.

I agree I'm 3 days in and doing a no carb no sugar diet and down a pound and a half believe it or not!
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm in! This is day 3 for me and I plan to keep it up this weekend.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    JLatham325 wrote: »
    Is everyone ready to tackle the weekend alcohol free?!?

Weekends (especially Friday nights and Saturday nights) are the extreme test for me as I've gotten myself into such a habit of not sitting down on the couch to a show/movie without my red wine in my hand. It's embarrassing to admit this, but it's probably been more than a year since I've gone an entire weekend without at least some amount of wine.

So, cheers to flavored carbonated water this weekend! We got this :)

I'm right there with you! Besides October, I pretty much had wine every single weekend and then some last year.
    Planning to have carbonated flavored water poured into a wine glass tonight. I can't drink carbonated drinks very fast, so hopefully sipping on it will work as a placebo in my mind. :lol:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I'm doing dry January (except one day- tomorrow) but mostly because I found myself drinking more than I would like to admit and I need a small break.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    I hear you about having vino every weekend and... every night for me as well! Feeling great to dry January!