Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    mg07030 wrote: »
    “What commonly MFP forum advice do you disagree with?”

When you post something and then get attack or ridicule for it.

As it’s been said so many time each person journey is different and if it works for you then good on you. If you disagree with what someone is following don’t attack them. Asking questions is fine or share your thoughts but in a kind, respectful manner.

Agree - although I’d rather someone disagree with me out in the open instead of using the cowardly woo button.

The woo button is actually intended to keep people from being ganged up on with multiple posts debunking something questionable that's been put forth... so, to be kind. Of course, it's helpful if at least one person explains the source of disagreement. But keep in mind, many people have no idea what the woo button is actually for (some think it's a cheer), so take it with a grain of salt ;)

It should be renamed. I recommend either "Bull *kitten*" or "Oh Hell No".
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    I was thinking along the lines of the Car Talk brothers Tom and Ray that it be called the "Dope Slap" button.

FireOpalCO wrote: »

As it’s been said so many time each person journey is different and if it works for you then good on you. If you disagree with what someone is following don’t attack them. Asking questions is fine or share your thoughts but in a kind, respectful manner.

Agree - although I’d rather someone disagree with me out in the open instead of using the cowardly woo button.

The woo button is actually intended to keep people from being ganged up on with multiple posts debunking something questionable that's been put forth... so, to be kind. Of course, it's helpful if at least one person explains the source of disagreement. But keep in mind, many people have no idea what the woo button is actually for (some think it's a cheer), so take it with a grain of salt ;)

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

Somewhere in the bowels of the forum, it does show up as a WTF button. I'd prefer it if it had been left that way.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member

Somewhere in the bowels of the forum, it does show up as a WTF button. I'd prefer it if it had been left that way.
    It definitely has more clarity!! I think we should be able to see who likes and WTFs though. There needs to be hug and woo transparency lol.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited January 2019

If you hover over it and look at what shows up at the bottom of your browser, you will see WTF as part of the URL...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/react/comment/wtf?id=43083110
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2019
    leiflung wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    There's an element of risk at play here. One can believe in a flat earth and this causes no harm to anyone, whereas spreading misinformation such as unfounded dangers of vaccines can objectively cause incredible harm. When you intentionally increase risk, then you should expect condescension and mockery. It was earned.

Do you think anti-vaxxers are intentionally increasing risk? Or do you think they believe they are decreasing risk, despite doing the opposite?

Also, do you not think that being condescending to a person is likely to cause cognitive dissonance in them which would more likely cause them to double down on their beliefs rather than abandon them?

To me, it's one thing trying to convince a person they are wrong. That's already hard. But if you mock them as you do it, you're making it even harder. You're making them feel bad and asking them to agree that they *should* feel bad as you ask them to change their minds. That seems to expect way too much of people.

I wouldn't think it would even be effective for an onlooker. If a person is on the fence about something and somebody who talks about it is mocked, that only makes the person less likely to try to discuss their own confusion. They'd likely rather avoid being treated poorly. They'd be less likely to understand where they were wrong. They might be more likely to drink the kool-aid later on, when and if surrounded and cut off from opposing views.

Lol... I think that's the fancy way of saying, "You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar" ;)

(But BTW, sincerely enjoying the thoughtful discussion, you guys :) )

• leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member
    There's an element of risk at play here. One can believe in a flat earth and this causes no harm to anyone, whereas spreading misinformation such as unfounded dangers of vaccines can objectively cause incredible harm. When you intentionally increase risk, then you should expect condescension and mockery. It was earned.

Do you think anti-vaxxers are intentionally increasing risk? Or do you think they believe they are decreasing risk, despite doing the opposite?

Also, do you not think that being condescending to a person is likely to cause cognitive dissonance in them which would more likely cause them to double down on their beliefs rather than abandon them?

To me, it's one thing trying to convince a person they are wrong. That's already hard. But if you mock them as you do it, you're making it even harder. You're making them feel bad and asking them to agree that they *should* feel bad as you ask them to change their minds. That seems to expect way too much of people.

I wouldn't think it would even be effective for an onlooker. If a person is on the fence about something and somebody who talks about it is mocked, that only makes the person less likely to try to discuss their own confusion. They'd likely rather avoid being treated poorly. They'd be less likely to understand where they were wrong. They might be more likely to drink the kool-aid later on, when and if surrounded and cut off from opposing views.

Lol... I think that's the fancy way of saying, "You can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar" ;)

lol, I see your point but I don't actually think the answer is in being nice. As I've said already, I'm not a fan of the saccharine.

Also, flies prefer vinegar, but that's beside the point. ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

lol, I see your point but I don't actually think the answer is in being nice. As I've said already, I'm not a fan of the saccharine.

And who wants flies anyway?
  • leiflung
    leiflung Posts: 83 Member

You'll regret this just before you're overrun by my army of flies!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member

I know... I always think that! Isn't there a phrase we can use that attracts a more desirable creature? ;)