January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Teerai wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Looking for a unique marathon this spring? Consider the Sandlot Marathon just northwest of Minneapolis. Complete with 384 opportunities to visit the aid station, serving hot dog flavored Heed!

https://sandlotmarathon.com/

I luv the fact this marathon is advertising for only 2 volunteers!
    And bring stuff to share at the aid table :)
    And use your own gps to prove you did the distance :D

Kinda awesome and efficient! Lol

One neat thing about this is you never know where you are in the pack. I mean for the first 2 hours, you would have the lead runners in sight the whole time but not have any clue who is ahead of you or behind you.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Looking for a unique marathon this spring? Consider the Sandlot Marathon just northwest of Minneapolis. Complete with 384 opportunities to visit the aid station, serving hot dog flavored Heed!

And if you get lost, remember, the pitcher's mound should always be on your left...

I love the course description, particularly the elevation profile

https://sandlotmarathon.com/course-description/

ppzi0po00761.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    So, I have that long flight Friday and I have no idea how to spend my time.

Dh suggested a book. I don’t read.
    Then suggested an audio book. Of what? And sit for hours listening to the same voice drone on? Ugh.
    I can’t listen to music, because there’s no service. I can’t surf the mfp group. Or watch a movie.

I have an anatomy coloring book which will keep me interested all of 5 minutes until I get disoriented, yes I packed Dramamine. What if I drop a pencil like a little kid? Jeez.

I have my running plans made out through the end of April. What the heck am I gonna do?

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,479 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 , @MNLittleFinn , @JessicaMcB A new race - a differant concept .
    Sounds like one you would like. A bit of travel involved to get to the start line for lenny & LittleFinn

@juliet3455 that looks very cool! I've never seen a format like that before. I had to look hard to figure out where this was. I finally figured it out. We have an office in Calgary, which is only 2.5 hours away. I've never had reason to go there, though, so trying to time a trip to coincide with work would be near impossible. It would be fun though.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 2019

And if you get lost, remember, the pitcher's mound should always be on your left...

I love the course description, particularly the elevation profile

https://sandlotmarathon.com/course-description/

ppzi0po00761.jpg

I don’t know. Getting “lost” might be a huge problem for some participants (depending on their race hydration and fueling strategy). The Facebook page says there is an aid station every loop - 384.55 potential stops. The aid station will be serving beer, margaritas, Fireball and Bloody Marys ........

2afnhs3hj3rs.jpeg
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @7lenny7 , @MNLittleFinn , @JessicaMcB A new race - a differant concept .
    Sounds like one you would like. A bit of travel involved to get to the start line for lenny & LittleFinn

@juliet3455 that looks very cool! I've never seen a format like that before. I had to look hard to figure out where this was. I finally figured it out. We have an office in Calgary, which is only 2.5 hours away. I've never had reason to go there, though, so trying to time a trip to coincide with work would be near impossible. It would be fun though.

@7lenny7 If you (or any of the folks @juliet3455 tagged) came out to do that race I'd sign up for a leg! A very, very slooooow leg... (or maybe I'd volunteer instead).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Then suggested an audio book. Of what? And sit for hours listening to the same voice drone on? Ugh.
    I can’t listen to music, because there’s no service. I can’t surf the mfp group. Or watch a movie.

I have an anatomy coloring book which will keep me interested all of 5 minutes until I get disoriented, yes I packed Dramamine. What if I drop a pencil like a little kid? Jeez.

I have my running plans made out through the end of April. What the heck am I gonna do?

@Elise4270 Many apps now let you download content to your phone so you can watch/listen to them without service. Netflix and Youtube both do. I'm sure there are many others. Bring a backup battery, if you can get one on the plane, to keep your ipad charged.

Thanks!
  • Elise4270
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Usually $5 buys you internet on long planes. Depending on length of flight, might be worth the money. Bring earphones, the plug in kind, not Bluetooth- I recently learned Bluetooth doesn’t work in airplane mode. Then you can do anything on your iPad. Depending on the airline, they offer tv for free. Another reason to have plug in headphones. I usually download podcasts and have a book. And switch back and forth.

ETA...
    While I’m posting. I am still here, still have no good goal... currently moving... again... which makes running in the near future unlikely. And my sidewalk adverse town, also has gotten like 30 inches of snow in the last 3 weeks, 12 ish in the last week, plus wind...and only had 2 days above freezing.... which not only complicates running, but making moving a terrible activity. But, I plan to run... eventually.

Oh dang. I was keen on my Bluetooth noise canceling head phones. I have home work to do! I think they have a plug in... maybe. Yes. Whew! The ones that go in your ear make my ears sore. 5 bucks ain’t bad.

What’s a podcast? Is it like YouTube, but no video? Where are podcasts? Can I get them on anything? I don’t like fiction stuff.

Maybe. Idk. I think I’m horribly picky. I have half a plan now. Thanks!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

Can't help With the flight, but I WANT an anatomy colouring book! Pics please!
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited January 2019

I usually download a bunch of stuff to my phone or tablet for long flights, music, TV shows, movies and whatnot. Spotify and Youtube both do offline, as does Netflix.

Alternatively, perhaps you could take a notebook and try to write something?

Most of the time I do a lot of preparation and end up sleeping half the way lol.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    @medmuso Congratulations! My training last week was equally set back a few days for that same reason, but if there were ever a good excuse to miss a run I reckon that’s it!

@Elise4270 I have never flown for longer than 3hrs, so I can’t help, but I am very jealous of your anatomy colouring book. More details, please :smile: