Dry January! No Alcohol!

Options

Replies

• VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I did a Sober October and I'm ready to have another AF month for my health and wellness. I'd like to go back into drinking with moderation, but over the holidays I definitely overindulged. I need a good reset. Might go further than just January...
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm in not just for the weight loss potential but I work out very early am and not liking my performance. Way to much wine in my life. I also don't like me when I drink.
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. I was doing well with cutting back before Thanksgiving and my stomach was flattening. I had some alcohol free wines, but not sure if that is a good idea or not. The Ariel brand seems to be lowest sugar/calorie. If anyone has any other suggested brands in either Red or White I would be interested. Good Luck to all.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    I'm in not just for the weight loss potential but I work out very early am and not liking my performance. Way to much wine in my life. I also don't like me when I drink.

Same here @cyndit1 For me it’s less about the extra calories and more about the poor quality calories. As much as I would love a glass of burgundy- I feel like 💩 many times even after 1 glass and my skin looks best when I’m vino-celibate.
  • MudRiverRunner
    MudRiverRunner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing dry January as well! Changing the way I eat by consciously making decisions about what I eat. I don't know if that's a real thing but I know I usually just see something want it and it without thinking.
  • jonewe05
    jonewe05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I reckon 50% of my excess weight is directly attributable to alcohol and the other 50% to poor food choices and sloth as an indirect result.
  • NursKers
    NursKers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Much needed!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I am 45 days today Alcohol Free! And will continue with Dry January. I set out on a goal hoping to make it through the holidays, and especially NodrinkDecember, and now I want to do more. I read This Naked Mind and it really helped me change my mindset. I wanted to do this to finally get back to losing again but it's become much more.

First couple of days of not drinking I noticed weight loss, and it's just continued. So many calories in drinking if you aren't careful with it, so now I am back on a losing streak. Been 50 days logged in to MFP. Anyone who wants to add me feel free!

Good luck to you and everyone else seeking a dry January!!

This Naked Mind has a really good podcast, too. Short ones, like 10-20 minutes. I really like the podcast.
  • mw1551
    mw1551 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone have ideas for fun non-alcoholic drinks that are also not full of sugar? I'm attending a late Christmas party this Saturday at a bar and I need some alternative options.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    i binged a load in November and december and it started to be an issue do dry january is a start for me, may continue it longer or for 90% of my time... we will see how it goes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    mw1551 wrote: »
    Anyone have ideas for fun non-alcoholic drinks that are also not full of sugar? I'm attending a late Christmas party this Saturday at a bar and I need some alternative options.

When I first quit drinking I drank mostly soda with a little fruit juice. Like Perrier and a splash of cranberry with a lime. Then I went to Perrier with a lemon slice, no juice. It looks like a drink, so people didn't want to ask me questions.

Now? I rarely drink anything other than plain ice water or coffee or hot tea.
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am 45 days today Alcohol Free! And will continue with Dry January. I set out on a goal hoping to make it through the holidays, and especially NodrinkDecember, and now I want to do more. I read This Naked Mind and it really helped me change my mindset. I wanted to do this to finally get back to losing again but it's become much more.

First couple of days of not drinking I noticed weight loss, and it's just continued. So many calories in drinking if you aren't careful with it, so now I am back on a losing streak. Been 50 days logged in to MFP. Anyone who wants to add me feel free!

Good luck to you and everyone else seeking a dry January!!

I downloaded the Naked Mind on my Audible app to listen to in the car during my commute, I'm about 5 chapters in and so far I like it! Thanks for the recommendation!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    On to day four and feel great! I have more energy and thinking clearer! To help inspire me as well I am counting the calories I am saving by not drinking wine. I am going to start doing weighing in on Jan 7 and every week after that! How is everyone doing?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    FYI, check if it helps really cool Dry January apps. Try Dry: Dry January, Dry days of Alcochange. All the best!
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Is everyone ready to tackle the weekend alcohol free?!?

Weekends (especially Friday nights and Saturday nights) are the extreme test for me as I've gotten myself into such a habit of not sitting down on the couch to a show/movie without my red wine in my hand. It's embarrassing to admit this, but it's probably been more than a year since I've gone an entire weekend without at least some amount of wine.

So, cheers to flavored carbonated water this weekend! We got this :)
  • freshkemp440
    freshkemp440 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jonewe05 wrote: »
    I'm in. I reckon 50% of my excess weight is directly attributable to alcohol and the other 50% to poor food choices and sloth as an indirect result.

I agree I'm 3 days in and doing a no carb no sugar diet and down a pound and a half believe it or not!
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in! This is day 3 for me and I plan to keep it up this weekend.
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    JLatham325 wrote: »
    Is everyone ready to tackle the weekend alcohol free?!?

Weekends (especially Friday nights and Saturday nights) are the extreme test for me as I've gotten myself into such a habit of not sitting down on the couch to a show/movie without my red wine in my hand. It's embarrassing to admit this, but it's probably been more than a year since I've gone an entire weekend without at least some amount of wine.

So, cheers to flavored carbonated water this weekend! We got this :)

I'm right there with you! Besides October, I pretty much had wine every single weekend and then some last year.
    Planning to have carbonated flavored water poured into a wine glass tonight. I can't drink carbonated drinks very fast, so hopefully sipping on it will work as a placebo in my mind. :lol:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm doing dry January (except one day- tomorrow) but mostly because I found myself drinking more than I would like to admit and I need a small break.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Options
    I hear you about having vino every weekend and... every night for me as well! Feeling great to dry January!