Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    Hi Megan. It does my heart good to see you younger people in here to try and curb your drinking to much cycle. Life is to short to waste being tied down by alcohol all the time. And yes being conscious is a huge key. Nice to have you in here.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    I am happy to be back... my NYE story... went to Primm (aka Stateline) for NYE... had a wonderful dinner, and the wine was flowing... 4 down the hatch way too fast! I went back to the room to rest around 10:30, my wonderful, non-judge-mental Husband got me back up just after midnight... we went back out and danced the night away... just drinking water... lucky for me felt fine the next day... just wished I hadn't missed the fireworks at the strike of midnight! I am determined that NYE 2019 will be different!
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi All - I'd love to join in, as well! I'm doing Dry January and then hoping to move towards no drinking Sun-Th nights after the end of the month. Aside from the 20 pounds I'd like to lose, I'm also marathon training and have big goals for my race (and alcohol certainly doesn't help with my performance). Thank you so much for starting this thread!
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Starting my dry January as well. Thanks for the jumpstart of inspiring 2019!
  • anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    Two out of two January nights AF so far! I was very tempted to drink tonight, especially because I had a lot of calories left but had a hot chocolate instead. It was delicious and I only drank half.
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    I joined a thread like this a year ago, I'm not sure if this is the same one. But I can say I definitely drank less in 2018 than I did in 2017. I was in a bad living situation in 2016-2017 and I used drinking as my crutch. I would drink/get drunk probably 4-5 times a week. (The other days were spent hungover). After I was able to move and was in a better situation, it was hard to get out of the drinking habit at that point. So last year January I decided I would drink less. It was a lot harder than I imagined. Overall I probably drank on average 2 times a week last year.

And this year I hope to drink even less! I'm meeting my fitness hero Cathe Friedrich in May. She does road trips every year and I'm finally going to one so I get to meet her and exercise with her. So now I need to buckle down even more on exercising and drinking a lot less will definitely help me reach my fitness goals.
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    @kittybenn and @MissMay Thank you! I am looking forward to retiring and having more time for me ... with much less stress in my life!

My personal goal is to drink less alcohol. Targeting 4 nights per week AF usually M-Th ~16 AF nights per month. DH & I are dropping the nightly bottle of wine with dinner. Listing my social challenges and plans to not go with the flow drinking 2-4 glasses of wine when out with friends!

January accountability ~2 day so far
    Me:(no alcohol) 1 days
    Alcohol: 1 days

Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 4 -
    Jan 5 - Plans to be AF to make up for the weekdays
    Jan 6 -
    Jan 7 -
    Jan 8 -
    Jan 9 -
    Jan 10 -
    Jan 11 -
    Jan 12 -
    Jan 13 -
    Jan 14 -
    Jan 15 -
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine or beer
    Jan 17 - Bingo fundraiser @ winery - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 18 -
    Jan 19 -
    Jan 20 -
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 22 - Dining out club - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 23 -
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 -
    Jan 26 -
    Jan 27 -
    Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited January 2019
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I joined a thread like this a year ago, I'm not sure if this is the same one.

And this year I hope to drink even less! I'm meeting my fitness hero Cathe Friedrich in May. She does road trips every year and I'm finally going to one so I get to meet her and exercise with her. So now I need to buckle down even more on exercising and drinking a lot less will definitely help me reach my fitness goals./quote]

Yes @bufffmom84 this is the same thread, I recall your user name. Great to see you back and to hear you were able to cut back weekly. How awesome to get to meet Cathie Friedrich. I would love to met my fitness inspiration Chalene Johnson from Beachbody.

Welcome @winodini.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    I joined a thread like this a year ago, I'm not sure if this is the same one.
    It's the same one and welcome back! Thanks for catching us up on your life. Two times a week is amazing. I also drank a lot less this year after Dry January. It definitely broke that daily drinking habit, which is what I really needed to do. I now typically drink Fri-Sun, and really not all that much, maybe 1-2 glasses of wine.

Day three of Dry January begins - good luck to everyone! I'm not finding it nearly the white-knuckle experience it was for me last year.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    2 days AF in the books... finding it hard to fall and stay asleep, but I know it is just my body adjusting. Even with less sleep, I am waking up more refreshed! On to day 3... I hope you are all doing well with whatever path you are choosing...
  • BaVIP073
    BaVIP073 Posts: 22 Member
    I am in for dry January. Thanks!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Day three and feeling good. Already less heart burn, lol.
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    I would like to join in on this i'm not a daily drinker but if i go out on the weekends it all goes down hill heavy drinking leads to eating junk food and i even look forward to eating junk food after drinking. i think it is my coping mechanism for feeling insecure. but i'm getting horrible hangovers and would rather wake up ready to hit the gym then stay in bed all day. I still want to go out and have fun but I want to reach my goals. any tips for an af weekend. I haven't had a drink since new years eye :)
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    So inspiring hearing how Dry January has helped some of you drink way less. @MissMay - You're 2018 stats are amazing! I'm tracking my intake in the Dry January app and am hoping my 2019 stats are a vast improvement over this past year.

I also loved the information on page one of this thread, especially loving and taking care of your tomorrow self. Day 3 AF off to a good start!