Gaining Weight Females Group

Replies

• Amaya6702
    Amaya6702 Posts: 13 Member
    Amaya6702 wrote: »
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Some athletes might go up weight classes in competition (strongwoman, powerlifting, olympic weighlifting, bodybuilding) so they might be on the list of females wanting to gain mass...I am one of those, I need to grow some more lean mass (last push as I am an intermediate to advanced lifter now) for my competitions...

I am one of those looking to gain another 8lbs or so by end of next March. I do not struggle with this (I feel stronger and can train harder on more calories!) I am not in the BMI healthy weight range ( 5 foot 5 and 157lbs at the moment) but I need to gain mass as I will be competing against ladies who are up to 81.9 kg in weight (180.5lbs)...

p.s. to the poster above @Amaya6702 there is no science behind what you are saying...herbs do not magically increase or help to increase/affect hormones, etc...certain medications do, but not the herbal type...loads of "superfoods" have been debunked, lots of faddy shite gets touted here on MFP, it is really irritating, but hey ho! I am post menopausal, 44, and I fully empathise with mom23mangos...it ain't no walk in the park the menopause thing (especially mood wise and libido for me, it sucks)...

I wish you the best of luck on your weight gaining journey. As for the maca root, there is plenty of scientific research backing the claim of it being a natural aphrodisiac and adaptogen. I would'nt call it a fad either considering it's been cultivated for 2000+ years in Peru, allegedly it was worth more than gold in the ancient Incan empire because of its fertility benefits. I shared my experience with maca root to be helpful to other women in a similar situation I was in. I only learned about maca root two weeks ago when I saw YouTube videos of women talking about taking maca for their weight gain journey, and I'm so glad I got myself a bottle it has benefitted me so much in only two weeks. I wanted to share my experience with maca on this forum for women like me who are thinking about trying it or maybe they have a hormone inbalance like I did and there really aren't a lot of reviews that detail how it effects gaining weight, so I thought my experience might be helpful. Of course this is just my two cents, take from it what you will, but to me maca was very beneficial. Here is some more quoted information about effects of maca specifically on menopausal women, maybe you should look into it you can't knock it till you've tried it, it might actually help you and it doesn't hurt to try it, it is just a root vegetable.

"It has been studied clinically to support a balanced transition through menopause, and it does so without particularly influencing sex hormone levels.* Maca tonifies the female reproductive system and may enhance arousal and sexual desire.* It can also help with fertility.* Studies have shown that Maca may benefit psychological symptoms and sexual function in postmenopausal women.*

MACA CAN HELP BALANCE HORMONE LEVELS
    By nourishing and stimulating the adrenal glands, Maca Root can help balance hormone levels.* As an adaptogenic herb, Maca supports normal hormone production and supports the body’s natural liver detoxification.* Maca has been shown to help with hormonal issues, including PMS, menopause, and hot flashes.*"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28811221 and most studies are still out as there is not yet enough proof that maca does all its stated to do.as for weight gain it depends on your genetics and where you will gain it. you cannot spot add on fat or weight just as you cannot spot reduce when losing. as for not hurting to try it yes it can if you take too much just like any other supplement,it may also react with certain meds as well.

it says it MAY help with hot flashes,menopause,etc. I found this too "if you have thyroid problems, you may want to be careful with maca. it contains goitrogens, substances that may interfere with the normal function of the thyroid gland. especially if you have a thyroid issue. and it says not for pregnant or breastfeeding women

read from 7.2 on https://examine.com/supplements/maca/

Thank you for your input. Yes, everyone should consult their doctor before they start taking any suppliment as there may be interactions with medications or interactions with certain health conditions. I've had nothing but positive effects from maca root and I'm so happy I started taking it, the way my body has changed in the last month is incredible (without apetamin). Just thought it'd be helpful to you ladies looking to gain. Hope everyone had a good Christmas🎄☺
  • preciousleks
    preciousleks Posts: 213 Member
    Some athletes might go up weight classes in competition (strongwoman, powerlifting, olympic weighlifting, bodybuilding) so they might be on the list of females wanting to gain mass...I am one of those, I need to grow some more lean mass (last push as I am an intermediate to advanced lifter now) for my competitions...

I am one of those looking to gain another 8lbs or so by end of next March. I do not struggle with this (I feel stronger and can train harder on more calories!) I am not in the BMI healthy weight range ( 5 foot 5 and 157lbs at the moment) but I need to gain mass as I will be competing against ladies who are up to 81.9 kg in weight (180.5lbs)...

p.s. to the poster above @Amaya6702 there is no science behind what you are saying...herbs do not magically increase or help to increase/affect hormones, etc...certain medications do, but not the herbal type...loads of "superfoods" have been debunked, lots of faddy shite gets touted here on MFP, it is really irritating, but hey ho! I am post menopausal, 44, and I fully empathise with mom23mangos...it ain't no walk in the park the menopause thing (especially mood wise and libido for me, it sucks)...

I wish you the best of luck on your weight gaining journey. As for the maca root, there is plenty of scientific research backing the claim of it being a natural aphrodisiac and adaptogen. I would'nt call it a fad either considering it's been cultivated for 2000+ years in Peru, allegedly it was worth more than gold in the ancient Incan empire because of its fertility benefits. I shared my experience with maca root to be helpful to other women in a similar situation I was in. I only learned about maca root two weeks ago when I saw YouTube videos of women talking about taking maca for their weight gain journey, and I'm so glad I got myself a bottle it has benefitted me so much in only two weeks. I wanted to share my experience with maca on this forum for women like me who are thinking about trying it or maybe they have a hormone inbalance like I did and there really aren't a lot of reviews that detail how it effects gaining weight, so I thought my experience might be helpful. Of course this is just my two cents, take from it what you will, but to me maca was very beneficial. Here is some more quoted information about effects of maca specifically on menopausal women, maybe you should look into it you can't knock it till you've tried it, it might actually help you and it doesn't hurt to try it, it is just a root vegetable.

"It has been studied clinically to support a balanced transition through menopause, and it does so without particularly influencing sex hormone levels.* Maca tonifies the female reproductive system and may enhance arousal and sexual desire.* It can also help with fertility.* Studies have shown that Maca may benefit psychological symptoms and sexual function in postmenopausal women.*

By nourishing and stimulating the adrenal glands, Maca Root can help balance hormone levels.* As an adaptogenic herb, Maca supports normal hormone production and supports the body’s natural liver detoxification.* Maca has been shown to help with hormonal issues, including PMS, menopause, and hot flashes.*"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28811221 and most studies are still out as there is not yet enough proof that maca does all its stated to do.as for weight gain it depends on your genetics and where you will gain it. you cannot spot add on fat or weight just as you cannot spot reduce when losing. as for not hurting to try it yes it can if you take too much just like any other supplement,it may also react with certain meds as well.

it says it MAY help with hot flashes,menopause,etc. I found this too "if you have thyroid problems, you may want to be careful with maca. it contains goitrogens, substances that may interfere with the normal function of the thyroid gland. especially if you have a thyroid issue. and it says not for pregnant or breastfeeding women

Thank you for your input. Yes, everyone should consult their doctor before they start taking any suppliment as there may be interactions with medications or interactions with certain health conditions. I've had nothing but positive effects from maca root and I'm so happy I started taking it, the way my body has changed in the last month is incredible (without apetamin). Just thought it'd be helpful to you ladies looking to gain. Hope everyone had a good Christmas🎄☺

Their is no difference in that suppliment with apetamin, because they are both artificial.
  • Amaya6702

Their is no difference in that suppliment with apetamin, because they are both artificial.

Apetamin is artificial, maca is not it's a root vegetable. I meant to say I gained 12lbs naturally without apetamin in 3 weeks.
  • Amaya6702

Apetamin is artificial, maca is not it's a root vegetable. I meant to say I gained 12lbs naturally without apetamin in 3 weeks.

you gained because you ate more calories than you burned ,thats how weight gain works.

Actually my horomone inbalance made it really hard to gain weight before even eating 2500+ calories a day, I would just stay at 110. Why does everyone have some kind of attitude the whole reason I came on the "community" section was to find supportive people trying to gain like me...and I have yet to find anyone supportive☺

Before anyone comes on here with something trying to prove me wrong I know for a fact my hormones were imbalanced because of a hormonal iud I got 3 years ago and got removed. Your hormones impact nearly every function in the body, such as metabolism, appetite, sleep, cell growth and repair, fertility and reproduction, as well as emotional health and more. So of course a hormone imbalace has an effect on how your body functions.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Well, my hubby is really pushing me to get up to 120 and just see how it feels and looks. I'm trying to be ok with the weight mentally. I still love my cardio. I also love to eat. I guess my fear is needing to cut again, cause that sucks. I need to get back in the weight room so at least part of the gain can be muscle.
    I also take maca. It's supposed to help with libido and energy/stamina, so I'm trying it out. No adverse effects...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

you gained because you ate more calories than you burned ,thats how weight gain works.

Actually my horomone inbalance made it really hard to gain weight before even eating 2500+ calories a day, I would just stay at 110. Why does everyone have some kind of attitude the whole reason I came on the "community" section was to find supportive people trying to gain like me...and I have yet to find anyone supportive☺

Before anyone comes on here with something trying to prove me wrong I know for a fact my hormones were imbalanced because of a hormonal iud I got 3 years ago and got removed. Your hormones impact nearly every function in the body, such as metabolism, appetite, sleep, cell growth and repair, fertility and reproduction, as well as emotional health and more. So of course a hormone imbalace has an effect on how your body functions.

your thyroid has a lot to do with your hormones and so on. if you have a thryoid issue then it can have some effects on weight, but not to the degree you think it would. if you have issues with your endocrine system then you would need to see a dr. (https://www.livescience.com/26496-endocrine-system.html). with IUDs in most cases your hormone levels return to normal within a year. if not something else is at play. If you look at legit studies they all say that the reason for weight gain is due to calories. how were you gauging your calorie intake to know it was 2500+?

not to mention I have not been able to find ONE legit study that shows that hormone issues causes a lack of weight gain(aside from hyperthyroidism or another health issue). many that find it hard to gain either arent eating enough or they have hyperthyroidism. and usually once they get their thyroid issues fixed they start gaining weight. I know at least 3 girls who went to school with my daughter who have hyperthyroidism and were skinny and found it hard to gain weight. once their thyroid issues were treated they put on weight,
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Well, my hubby is really pushing me to get up to 120 and just see how it feels and looks. I'm trying to be ok with the weight mentally. I still love my cardio. I also love to eat. I guess my fear is needing to cut again, cause that sucks. I need to get back in the weight room so at least part of the gain can be muscle.
    I also take maca. It's supposed to help with libido and energy/stamina, so I'm trying it out. No adverse effects...

I say go for it, just go slow.
  • I'm in as well ladies. I did well gaining 2 years ago till I tore my rotator cuff. I've been babying it ever since. I'm just getting back to a high protein/low fat diet and slowly hitting the weights again along with PT. One way I love to add calories is a protein shake. I add everything. Bananas, spinach, chai seeds, flaxseeds, strawberries, peanut butter, avacados, yogurt, ect. Not all in the same shake, but anything healthy my heart needs while I get in the extra calories and protein. I can easily have a 550 to 800 cal shake with low fat. I even add supplements like fish oil.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Why low fat? And how is adding peanut butter, avocado, and fish oil low fat?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

maybe she has to eat low fat? I know I have to for health reasons. but then maybe she things fat is bad or makes you fat? and you are correct those things you listed arent low in fat per se.
  • legalsource
    legalsource Posts: 1 Member
    Hey everyone! I’m Danielle and I’m 115lbs! I got really sick and lost a lot of weight last year after having m baby and developing Endometriosis. My height is 5’6 and my healthy weight is 135. I want to gain muscle. Is anyone in Boston?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

maybe she has to eat low fat? I know I have to for health reasons. but then maybe she things fat is bad or makes you fat? and you are correct those things you listed arent low in fat per se.

I'm low fat too (and low fibre) for health reasons
  • Valcast4444
    Valcast4444 Posts: 11 Member
    let's do it, 2019!
  • Valcast4444
    Valcast4444 Posts: 11 Member
    basedcurls
    The walmart version of Ensure Plus(350 cal) is $6 something for a 6 pack. The only thing that has helped me add the extra calories. They also have the high protein version(240 cals)
    I drink Plus with my lunch and the High Protein before bed/after workout.
  • preciousleks
    basedcurls
    The walmart version of Ensure Plus(350 cal) is $6 something for a 6 pack. The only thing that has helped me add the extra calories. They also have the high protein version(240 cals)

Do what makes you happy. I don't drink any ensure or apetamin but am gaining
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    basedcurls

Yup, it just takes a surplus. A cough syrup and a meal replacement shake are 2 completely different things. I've done Ensure for health reasons before but don't think using a cough syrup to make increase my appetite would be good for me.
  • preciousleks
    basedcurls

Yup, it just takes a surplus. A cough syrup and a meal replacement shake are 2 completely different things. I've done Ensure for health reasons before but don't think using a cough syrup to make increase my appetite would be good for me.
    A surplus of calories and exercise is the 🔑 🔑
  • claudiav822
    claudiav822 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hi everyone! So here’s my story: in the summer I was doing GREAT! Working out 5x a week with weights, and I gained healthy weight, bringing me up to 135lbs from my prior 125 (I’m 5’6”). Then in September I transitioned to vegetarianism/veganism. I came back home after several months away at college, and my mother said I looked like a stick. I weighed myself (since I didn’t have a scale at school) and I was 110! Is there anyone trying to make gains on a vegetarian diet? My goal is to get back to my average of 120lbs, right now I feel cold ALL the time, I have digestive issues, and it’s causing a ton of stress. Please leave any suggestions!! 🌱