Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Planet Fitness or YMCA

2»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Also, what amenities might be important to you... the locker rooms at my local Y were awful -- you were constantly tripping over children (they had a school age childcare program) running around like animals and dripping puddles of pool water everywhere - the floor and benches were always wet and smelled like chlorine. Depending on your local Y (mine was an urban area - the newer suburban locations do seem cleaner), the corporate gyms may be cleaner, and will likely be child-less.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    If you just want cheap and a basic workout then PF, but if you are serious about lifting, then YMCA.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Also, what amenities might be important to you... the locker rooms at my local Y were awful -- you were constantly tripping over children (they had a school age childcare program) running around like animals and dripping puddles of pool water everywhere - the floor and benches were always wet and smelled like chlorine. Depending on your local Y (mine was an urban area - the newer suburban locations do seem cleaner), the corporate gyms may be cleaner, and will likely be child-less.

Thanks for bringing this up. Children underfoot during school vacations was an issue for me as well. My two Ys were in suburban areas.

Ys seem really child-friendly, so I think this is likely to be a feature rather than a bug.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I'm a student, so I get a discounted rate at the Y, but even so, the "high end" PF rate allows me to bring one guest with me any time I want, while at the Y, I can bring a guest three times per year. And it's still almost double what I was paying at PF. However, the Y has Zumba classes 4x/week that fit my schedule (I think there are another 3 that are during my work hours) and those are included with membership. PF does not offer those.

The PF nearest me has classes with the trainer - I really liked the 30-minute "360 strength" class as it had a range of activities. Also, Frooties are awesome. I would grab a handful on the way out every time. One was for me; the rest went into my "rewards" cup at school for students who did something good. Everyone wins!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    I worked at the YMCA for a while as a lifeguard, it tended to mostly be older folks who came to workout. I’m not sure a teenager would be happiest there. My brother who was a weight lifter at the time said the Y’s selection of weights were very limited. However, the Y has a very positive atmosphere and they treat their employees very well! Pretty much everyone working there is willing to help you out and encourage you to be the best you can be. You also would have access to a pool, they have personal trainers, and many different classes you could take. They also offer challenges and races.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2019
    Depends what you want to do. If you want to use barbells then you should use YMCA. but PF is much cheaper. Like others have said you may be able to get a reduced rate based on need. I joined PF because it's cheap and I don't care about using barbells right now. I'll cancel it when my year is up.