Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

USA vs. Europe, NY Times

Keto_Vampire
Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/well/eat/food-additives-banned-europe-united-states.html
Just an interesting article on the various food additives banned in Europe vs. USA...try not to fight too much & keep an open mind

Replies

• newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    In
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    While I think the European stance on GMO's is silly, I think the US keeping these additives in food is possibly a question that might come down to following the money. That's what my gut is telling me. They don't need to be there, you know? I'm sure there are safe alternatives.

ETA: I'm saying this off the cuff, with no real knowledge, just a gut reaction based on having a son who did react to food dyes. I'm open to reading research and do know animal studies don't necessarily pan out to similar results in humans.

I totally agree with the "follow the money" idea.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    While I think the European stance on GMO's is silly, I think the US keeping these additives in food is possibly a question that might come down to following the money. That's what my gut is telling me. They don't need to be there, you know? I'm sure there are safe alternatives.

ETA: I'm saying this off the cuff, with no real knowledge, just a gut reaction based on having a son who did react to food dyes. I'm open to reading research and do know animal studies don't necessarily pan out to similar results in humans.

This is largely my position too (including on the GMOs). If I didn't mainly eat from whole foods anyway, I'd probably do more research and have a basis to avoid or not when buying packaged stuff as I know there are arguments on both sides with some of these and I have not explored them in enough detail. As it is I read labels if buying something like a spicy sauce or mustard or greek yogurt or dried pasta or canned beans or tomatoes, etc., and rarely run into anything that seems questionable on the things I buy with labels (usually there are just the ingredients you'd expect). I'd rather not consume things like dyes whether they are actually harmful or not, but that's just me and not a science-based position, which I freely admit.

I'm also not a fan of food & drug cosmetics that serve absolutely no purpose other than BS marketing/visuals to falsely appeal more vibrant colored foods are healthier, more appetizing, etc.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

The anti-GMO/Organic marketing has plenty of money to follow as well. There are certain foods banned in the US that are sold in the EU as well (e.g. raw milk). I do find it funny the level of anti-GMO rhetoric kind of funny from the same countries where smoking is still so prevalent in comparison to the US though...

It's like how we park on driveways and drive on parkways!!
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Really, since they can handle inhaling noxious diesel fumes day and night, that literally permeate concrete walls, a few food additives wouldn't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Oh yeah and the second hand smoke. And espresso coffee more corrosive than nail polish remover.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    I beg your pardon, do you have a point I am missing?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    One thing I did not mention above. Wheat has three sets of genes, it managed this feat of science on its own at some stage in its natural development. I've not seen it recorded that there are any other organisms which have achieved this same feat naturally. One of the issues we humans have can with the plant, is with the protein gluten, only what they do not tell us is the genetic background of wheat inflates the number of proteins wheat contains, some of those who test negative for gluten may well react to one or more of these other proteins.

I fear the use of chemicals. I like organic foods when possible because the number of chemicals used in their production is much smaller and less damaging to us and the soil, than the dominant chemicals in general agriculture. Naturally the productivity teds to be lower from such plants which increases the unit costs. As the quality of the soils the plants are grown in improves the productivity will increase. I discovered some time ago the principal cell in our lungs which take oxygen from the atmosphere was utilised from some mould or similar, these simple structures are damaged by salicylate/paraben which pollutes our atmosphere from weed killers, household detergents, personal hygiene products, preservatives in foods and so much more. (I find all this sciency stuff incredibly interesting, I really wish more of you were even a tiny bit interested, remember, I used to be unable to go into public spaces because of others laundry residue and perfumes, take heed because I fear this could happen to a few of you)

As I have said, I am one of the outliers having dietary/health problems caused by living in this chemical Dependant world. Its true many plants which are gmo will not need the same chemicals and any ordinary agricultural crop but I believe we are playing fast and loose with our quality of life and this is causing the rise in chronic illness and autoimmune disorders, even weight gain.

BTW, smoking over here in the UK is only permitted in ones own homes not in public places, it has been so for years. There was even talk of parents being prosecuted for smoking in the car with their children present! Over here we walk on pavements and drive on roads. We have so much more to concern ourselves with than scientists finding ways to increase food crops by messing with plant structures, how about reducing the rate of abnormal weather incidents such long dry, hot summer burning up the ground then torrential rainfall washing them or large populated areas away. Pardon, this is global warming and no one believes in that on here, do they?

Stay Healthy. Happy New Year to one and all.

I developed chemical sensitivities after working in a building that turned out to have toxic mold. I am MUCH better than I was in 1999, but still cannot use my backyard when my neighbor is drying clothes with fabric softener sheets, and I can tell when she is doing laundry from surprisingly far out in the woods.