Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• anglilacs
    anglilacs Posts: 165 Member
    AF day three in the books! Not doing Dry January but trying to significantly cut back.

My friend from out of town is staying with me this weekend and I plan to have a couple of drinks with her. She’s a light drinker so I will be too!
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    I’m really glad this group exists. Good to know other people who are trying. My goal is to cut back. Tonight I’m going to a wine bar to listen to some music. I’m only on day 3 here so I want to keep the momentum going and not order one glass which will quickly turn to another and the ordering food I shouldn’t have that will offset my fitness goals. I’m posting this to hold myself accountable. I hope to report back later with success!

Wowza I actually did it! I had a salad and tea and I survived and even enjoyed it! Fewer calories, less money, and I’m not feeling sluggish/ready for bed. WIN!

Great job!👏🏻

• winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Awesome! I have been drinking too much as I enjoy wine with friends etc... I am ready to cut way back as it has become way too much of a daily habit and focus at the end of the day! Here is to achieving goals!

Same 💪🏻

AF day 3 on the books
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Be kind to yourself. That sometimes means being honest to others and admitting you're doing a challenge so people know to support you. Being silent and suffering can make it harder.

Further to what I said there:

Others might feel that you doing the challenge is making them look bad, and feel bad about their own drinking, so they will oppose you.

You might have to sympathise with them.

It's up to you at what point in your attempts at less alcohol you tell others.

You will know when, and in what situations to talk about it, and who to.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    So inspiring hearing how Dry January has helped some of you drink way less. @MissMay - You're 2018 stats are amazing! I'm tracking my intake in the Dry January app and am hoping my 2019 stats are a vast improvement over this past year.

I also loved the information on page one of this thread, especially loving and taking care of your tomorrow self. Day 3 AF off to a good start!

@Sub4_2018 Thanks! We've learned a lot from the participants that pop in, and keep popping in.

Love your username and goals! I'm nearly an hour over a sub-4 marathon (did my first in Aug 2017 aged 50, have done a 50 km and another 42.2km this year), but happy with my efforts.

I look forward to hearing about your progress! Have you got a race lined up for an attempt?
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2019
    My personal goal is to drink less alcohol. Targeting 4 nights per week AF usually M-Th ~16 AF nights per month. DH & I are dropping the nightly bottle of wine with dinner. Listing my social challenges and plans to not go with the flow drinking 2-4 glasses of wine when out with friends!

January accountability ~3 day so far
    Me:(no alcohol) 1 days
    Alcohol: 2 days

To view the weekly count toward 4 ... AF Mon Dec 31!
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - Dinner out with hubby after challenging day at work transitioning my role. Looks like it will take weeks to ramp them up. Didn't leave chair for 9 hrs. (excuses) - limited myself to 1 glass of wine
    Jan 3 - Bunco - limit 1 glass wine. Slipped up and had 2-3 (I call it 12 oz 3 if light pour / 2 if heavy pour) What happen to my resolve to drink water after 1 glass?
    Jan 4 - Traveling with my mom & sister 7 hrs today for a funeral tomorrow. Not really sure what the social situation will be since we’ll be seeing my mothers siblings I’ve not seen in 30 years and many of my cousins. Plan to limit to 1 glass of wine.
    Jan 5 - Driving 7 hours return trip … AF
    Jan 6 -
    Jan 7 -
    Jan 8 -
    Jan 9 -
    Jan 10 -
    Jan 11 -
    Jan 12 -
    Jan 13 -
    Jan 14 -
    Jan 15 -
    Jan 16 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine or beer
    Jan 17 - Bingo fundraiser @ winery - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 18 -
    Jan 19 -
    Jan 20 -
    Jan 21 - Bookclub - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 22 - Dining out club - limit 1 glass wine
    Jan 23 -
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 -
    Jan 26 -
    Jan 27 -
    Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 - Retiring from company after 30 years - plan to celebrate but limit 2 glasses
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,514 Member
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    My goal is 4 - 5 AF days per week.
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.
    I do plan to have champagne NYE.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th -
    January 5th -
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited January 2019
    On to day 4. If I get through today (which I fully intend to), this will be the longest I've gone without alcohol since November 2017. Yikes.

Question for ya'll. I legitimately enjoy the taste of craft beer. I know Annie Grace says this just isn't true - it's not the taste we like, but the buzz that comes with it - but last night I tried an "alcohol-free" (0.3%) craft beer, and it was actually quite good! So much so that I think I'll go out and get more when I get a craving. My question is, is this cheating, since there is technically a tiny bit of alcohol in it, even though it's not nearly enough to intoxicate me? Same goes for kombucha. If I am doing a true dry January, have I already spoiled it by having an AF beer with .3% alcohol?

I'm sure it's one of those "to each their own" situations, but I am curious to hear your thoughts. To me, if it helps me from grabbing a real craft beer with 6 or 7% alcohol content, I think it's way better.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    On to day 4. If I get through today (which I fully intend to), this will be the longest I've gone without alcohol since November 2017. Yikes.

Question for ya'll. I legitimately enjoy the taste of craft beer. I know Annie Grace says this just isn't true - it's not the taste we like, but the buzz that comes with it - but last night I tried an "alcohol-free" (0.3%) craft beer, and it was actually quite good! So much so that I think I'll go out and get more when I get a craving. My question is, is this cheating, since there is technically a tiny bit of alcohol in it, even though it's not nearly enough to intoxicate me? Same goes for kombucha. If I am doing a true dry January, have I already spoiled it by having an AF beer with .3% alcohol?

I'm sure it's one of those "to each their own" situations, but I am curious to hear your thoughts. To me, if it helps me from grabbing a real craft beer with 6 or 7% alcohol content, I think it's way better.

Doesn't sound like cheating to me, sounds like a great plan to help you to stay on track!
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    After only 3 AF days, I am already feeling some of the benefits, and none of the pain! More energy, flatter stomach, avoiding mindless snacking... feels great to get back on track! Tough at 7pm, after a stressful day, when the bottle is calling my name, but I have to keep reminding myself how good I will feel in the morning. Happy Friday everyone!
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    I'm in

Been AF for 2 days and will be tonight also.