New running shoes

KNoceros
KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I am a “wannabe” runner currently working my way through a C25k programme. I have tried this and failed due to ankle pain many times.

I have also, having realised that my current trainers are about 15 years old (!!!!!), just been fitted for a new pair of running shoes. They weren’t cheap, but they are amazing! Already, on their first outing, I can feel that I’m running better and can go further, faster.

The constant feeling that I’m about to turn an ankle has gone, and I’m even (nearly) enjoying my runs.

Why didn’t I change shoes months ago?! Anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I had sort of a reverse experience. I got fitted for shoes and inserts at a running store but kept getting horribly painful shin splints regardless, tried different shoes to no avail. I had to go über minimalist to be able to run without pain. It’s all about finding what works for you and your running style. Hope the new shoes continue to work out for you, C25K is a fantastic program to begin with! Happy running :)
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Yes. When I picked up running again a few years back, I started out wearing my kids old gym shoes. When I finally did suck it up and get real running shoes, the results were amazing. Ah... my old Mizuno Wave 7's. I told my wife that I could now understand women's love for shoes.

I recommend you keep track of your mileage so you know when to replace.

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    I had sort of a reverse experience. I got fitted for shoes and inserts at a running store but kept getting horribly painful shin splints regardless, tried different shoes to no avail. I had to go über minimalist to be able to run without pain. It’s all about finding what works for you and your running style. Hope the new shoes continue to work out for you, C25K is a fantastic program to begin with! Happy running :)

I went from conventional running shoes to minimalist shoes, as well. I also used to experience shin splints and haven't had them since I switched, but I also made a lot of changes to my running form, gait, stride length, and foot strike that I'm sure contributed to less pain and more efficient running
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member

I went from conventional running shoes to minimalist shoes, as well. I also used to experience shin splints and haven't had them since I switched, but I also made a lot of changes to my running form, gait, stride length, and foot strike that I'm sure contributed to less pain and more efficient running

I like this quote from Daniel Lieberman:
    "How one runs is probably more important than what is on one's feet... but what is on one's feet may affect how one runs."

:)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No, but buying new running shoes is my favourite thing to do! :laugh:
  • KNoceros
    Don’t think my wallet would like it if I developed a running shoe habit TavistockToad!

Out of interest, what is the average life-expectancy of a pair of shoes (used mainly on roads/pavements) and how do you know when they’re “dead”?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Don’t think my wallet would like it if I developed a running shoe habit TavistockToad!

Out of interest, what is the average life-expectancy of a pair of shoes (used mainly on roads/pavements) and how do you know when they’re “dead”?

I get about 500 miles out of mine. I can usually feel when they're on their way out - just random aches and pains especially in knees and calves that I don't usually get. Also the tread is worn down as well.
  • KNoceros
    Thanks.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    I realised this my last year of college. A good pair of shoes makes a huge difference. I like a lot of cushion for my normal runs and try to change out every 400 miles or so. (About every 6 - 8 months)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

I get about 500 miles out of mine. I can usually feel when they're on their way out - just random aches and pains especially in knees and calves that I don't usually get. Also the tread is worn down as well.

Similar, but I measure in KM and find at ~600km I start to get shin splints again.

I've got 3 pairs going right now, one trail with minimal km on them, one that is near the 600 and I use at the gym when lifting and running after, and one for outdoor running. I'm always watching for sales on my shoes to try to get them under $100.
  • KellyLouiseGibson
    KellyLouiseGibson Posts: 175 Member
    2byzi6of2jxd.jpg

I have just completed the C25K today!!!
    Good Luck getting to the end!

I need to research some running shoes to as I am changing to the Couch to 10K app now and want to have good footwear!