Winter 2019 - Please Introduce Yourself

SmithsonianEmpress
SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
Hi everyone!

Whether you are returning or new to the group....tell us about yourself. Share as little or as much as you’d like. Let’s get to know one another...we probably have more in common than we think.

Don’t forget, on Monday (1/7) we begin our 12 week challenge and have our first weigh in.

Good luck to us all! :)

Replies

• StayStrong19MFP
    StayStrong19MFP Posts: 30 Member
    Hi! I've lost over 100 pounds, but still need to lose about 25 more to be considered "healthy". These last pounds have by far been the hardest to lose, but I'm determined to stick with it no matter how slow.

I just rejoined MFP after a long absence wanting to start fresh this year with a new digital diary, but I've been a member off and on for years. I'm so used to writing it all down that I find myself losing focus on the digital part. Kind of ironic since I spent most of my life on my phone it seems... old habits, I guess. :)
  • reader1995
    reader1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! I'm restarting my weightloss journey. Last year I managed to lose 20 pounds but gained 10 back. Unfortunately, I still have 210 pounds to lose. I plan on trying to eat as healthy as I can, with lots of veggies! My husband is going through the journey as well since he has 180 pounds to lose.
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Hello Super Team!! I started my weight loss journey a few years ago. Lost 50lbs, then became pregnant with my son and gained it back. I had been yo-yoing lose 10-15 then gain it back, lose 5 then gain it back.

I realized I need to change my methods and habits as things are not as easy as they were before a new addition to the family. So far I have lost 12 lbs since Dec 1. I have 38 more lbs lose. With a goal of 10lbs loss every 4-5 weeks.
  • bettina8037
    bettina8037 Posts: 34 Member
    Hi all! I've lost 25lb in the last 4 months or so and am now focused on losing the last 5-10lb!! Mfp has been an incredible tool and I would love some extra accountability with a group to get me to the finish line 😊
  • ToniPressman
    ToniPressman Posts: 9 Member
    Hi ladies!
    I'm 41, mum of 2 (9 & 12) from Auckland, NZ.

I've just re-started my journey, again. I had a laparascopic hysterectomy 6 months ago and have been struggling more with the mental health issues that have followed the surgery than the physical. I used the surgery as an excuse to not exercise... At all!
    I'm at my highest ever weight, 83.1kg, I'm 5'4" and have been in denial that I've been eating my feelings because my clothes still fit, only just!!
    My "why" is to be more healthy and feel better in myself. For my children, for my partner and for me. I know from previous experience that eating better and regular exercise makes me feel so much better. I just need someone to keep me at it so I don't quit on myself.

Hope that's not too much info too soon? ;)

I'm tracking my food here, doing very low carb as its worked for me in the past (weight loss and general wellness) and also the Nike fitness app for workouts.

Nice to "meet" you all and hope we can all be there for each other xx
  • lwh99
    lwh99 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi all!

I'm a mom of three grown children and a grandma to an 8 month old grandson. In case you guys aren't as old as me - just know that having grandchildren is the best. I just told my co-workers today you have to get through the child rearing to get to the really good stuff. JK - raising my kids was pretty fun too.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this group. This is my first real attempt to lose the 30+ lbs. I gained over the years. I really am hoping to be successful in leaving the "overweight" category after these 12 weeks. And I hope I don't lose much ground when I go on vacation at the beginning of March. I think my main downfall is not realizing how many calories are in the foods you get when you go out to dinner. And of course the drink that I like to have with it. :wink:

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you all.
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Hi all

I’ve spent the last 18 months losing the weight I gained during treatment for an illness and while recovering from surgery in 2016-17. With the help of this group a nice round 2 stone (28lbs) has melted off (the treatment weight plus a bit extra), and just before Christmas I just hit my lightest ever adult weight again (130lb). It’s taken a long time because it’s been a bumpy road mostly because I refuse to hold back on holiday (vacation) when there is excellent food to be eaten!

I’m back again with two main goals: to lose the Christmas podge, and to work on my fitness. By the end of this session I want to be back at 130 and able to ‘happily’ run 5k without a walk break (I managed 4.5k once in December).

I am in the UK, 42, with one small person (10). I will officially weigh in on Monday for my start weight!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Hello! I’m 52, just outside Chicago, mom of two teenage daughters. I like the accountability of weighing in. Right now, I’m up about 5-6 pounds from holiday binging. Currently doing Dry January—3rd year in a row, hard but worth it! I’m a yogi who just started—wait for it—JAZZERCISE! It’s great! Going on a couples beach vacay to Punta Cana in February and want to rock my bikini!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Hello, I'm almost 59, living in Arizona where it's relatively cold right now. I've been struggling with the 20 lbs I put on after total hip replacement surgery and start/stress of grad school 3.5 years ago. I had lost 40 lbs from 260 and would still like to get to 150. I am a lover of dance, Zumba, ballet - unfortunately, hip surgeon said no jumping, that has stunted my exercise fervor quite a bit. I'd like to lose holiday pounds before going back for my last semester in February.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Hello Ladies, I'm 41, fat and lazy. I went from 160 to 219 in 6 years. Buying bigger clothes should not happen every year. I'm done!!
  • Avetotustuus
    Avetotustuus Posts: 56 Member
    Hey ladies! I’m 31. I lost about 40 lbs a couple of years ago. I’m a grad student, finishing up my dissertation... which has caused me to be a bit more sedentary than I’d like recently. While I’ve maintained most of the basic habits I developed I’ve gained back 15 lbs that I’d like to get rid of this year. Last time, I had more to lose, but this time, I’m hoping to lose about a pound a week bc I want to set manageable goals.
  • adnama36
    adnama36 Posts: 32 Member
    Hi all! I’m a 43 (turning 44 in a couple of weeks) year old mom of a five year old and a three year old. I used MFP to lose weight/get healthy while I trained for my first 5k back in 2011, with great success! Since then, I’ve had my two kids, stopped running, and gained 25lbs that I’d really like to get rid of. My plan is to track calories with MFP, while getting active again with a combination of running, elliptical, and learning some yoga. My goal for the next 12 weeks is to go from my current 134lbs down to 125lbs.
  • cxwhit3
    cxwhit3 Posts: 293 Member
    To all of you – Welcome!
    We are really a great group with a lot to share with one another. Many of us are on the same path – tried to lose many times, feeling tired and frustrated. No need for that here! We are all on a journey. So if you struggle or if you have a good week, bring it here to share.

About me – I’m Carol, almost 59, the grandma of 4 and I currently live in Iowa. I've been a leader of this group (facilitator really) since last summer. I spent my 20’s struggling to lose weight but gave up and gradually, the scale went up. I’ve tried Nutrisystem in my thirties (successful but not financially sustainable), Weight Watchers in my forties (not sure why it didn’t work) and a variety of other things. This past year, as a participant in this group, I went down 16 and then back up 8, entirely through my own failure to keep committed to my plan. I have discovered what works for me - planning my meals in advance, daily logging and low carb. I get into trouble when I stop paying attention to what I’m stuffing into my mouth.

Some minor thoughts – we are here to support each other to lose some weight and achieve better health. Any conversations with those regards are welcome and Jessica and I encourage you to make friends with the members of this group! Share successes and struggles, recipes, books, articles and websites that you think would be of interest to the group. If it inspired you, it will probably inspire the rest of us.

That said, I discourage you from engaging in discussions of unrelated subjects of a controversial nature such as politics. There are other forums for that.

@StayStrong19MFP – Congrats on all your hard work. You are doing great! Such success and devotion to your health can only be an inspiration to us all!

@reader1995 - I feel for your struggle with regaining. I had a similar situation this year! My husband is also trying to lose weight. I’m sure I will be jealous, because his always seems to come off faster than mine!

@ZLGreenwood - Wow! Weight loss in December! Great job! Thanks for joining the group!

@betting8037 – Glad you are with us. We are a great group and we’ll keep with you through those last pesky pound!

@ToniPressman - Thanks for joining us from New Zealand! Hope all is well after your surgery. Personally, I have always struggled with exercise, so surgery would be a good enough excuse for me! You’ll find that many of us struggle with it as well (except SmithsonianEmpress – who is just our rockstar of exercise). Don’t worry about providing too much info – we sometimes get pretty deep into personal health issues.

@lwh99 – Don’t worry, we have other grandmas here, myself included. It really is the best! When setting your goals, just make them reasonable so that you don’t become discouraged!

@poeciliareticulata – Thanks for sticking with us! I have a feeling this is your big breakout challenge session!

@LZMiner – Dry January is totally worth it! It does a great job of helping you cut down on sugar consumption too! Welcome to the group!

@gesundundmunter – Wecome back! What’s cold in Arizona? Here in Iowa, our weather has been doing strange temperature jumps from day to day. Yesterday it was a high of 32, today is supposed to be 55 but by Monday we are heading back to the 20’s. So glad you are still in the group with us!

@1stplace4health – Glad you are joining us! This is your year! Just do your weigh-in each week and share your progress, it will motivate you to keep going. We are here for you!

@Avetotustuus – I’m an accountant, so I understand the whole sedentary thing. Don’t worry, the group will help keep you motivated to get up and move! Focusing so hard on something like your dissertation really pushes other things off to the sidelines sometimes. Setting reasonable, attainable goals is important for keeping your motivation up!
  • bettina8037
    Thank you Carol for facilitating!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Good evening ladies! My name is Jessica. I have been a part of this group for almost (March) two years. I am 36yo, 5’5” and am 135-140ish lbs. I am married and have 3 children—a 5yo son and twin daughters who are 2 1/2yo. Currently I teach in higher education.

I enjoy anything and everything that involves fitness. I started lifting in July/August of last year and I’ve been running probably for 2-3 years now. I did my first 5k last summer which was awesome. In the past I have completed T25, various Jillian Michaels programs as well as Fitness Blender workouts and Taebo with Billy Blanks.

On Monday I plan to start my 3 day lifting split program (PHUL). Since it’s cold outside my cardio plans include spin class, indoor swimming, rowing, stairmaster, treadmill or indoor cycling....maybe even yoga for days I may need it. I’m definitely leaving my options open for any type of physical activity. Here is my plan below:

M - Lift
    T - Cardio
    W - Lift
    R - Cardio
    F - Lift
    S - Cardio
    S -Rest

As far as nutrition, I started back logging this past Monday. So far so good. (I stopped logging last January so it’s literally been a year). My goal is to lose 10ish lbs, MFP has me set at 1600ish calories a day and my plan is to do high carb on lifting days and low carb on cardio/non lifting days. If this becomes too hectic I will just eat sensibly within my calorie frame.

The most important thing here...my overall goal...is to NOT. GAIN. WEIGHT.

I am so glad to be here AND see new members.

Welcome to the group! Let’s enjoy each other’s company and collectively learn from our mistakes.

Cheers! :smiley:

-Jessica
  • sasaimi
    sasaimi Posts: 27 Member
    Good evening!

My name is Patty. I have just joined this group. I am 34 years old and I'm a 155 - 160ish lbs. I am Married and unable to have children due to PCOS. I'm currently living in Texas. I work full-time testing software applications & a part-time college student. I use to have a fitbit but my work no longer allow any bluetooth devices. Oh well

I actually enjoy working-out, but my work & school schedule made me feel too tired to squeeze a workout routine which took a heavy toll on my physical & mental health. I wish to be more disciplined and take care of myself so I can have the endurance for this heavy schedule. I hate going to school. It really is a sacrifice to me. I felt it stole my time away from my husband and family members including my alone recharge time. But I have to continue going to school to get my BS degree. Hence why I think I stopped working-out. The reason why I enjoyed working-out is because it helped me vent out my frustrations and relax my mind. Plus working-out leads to healthy body and increase self-confidence! :) This past year for not having a routine, cause me to be stuck in a endless cycle of depress by how much weight I have gained which lead to feeling too tired/non-motivated to eating ice cream cause I'm depressed then back to depressed how much weight I have gain. *sigh*

I'm still going to school, but I have to workout to stay healthy. I have learned for my body that I lose weight but maintain muscle mass by only doing about 30 minutes of cardio and every otherday add 15 minutes a weight lifting training with two day's rest. In my early silly 20's, I used to do about 2 hours each day of cardio workout except on Sundays and starve myself. Totally abusing my body and drove myself and others insane. Lol cranky..very cranky.

My plan is:
    On Mondays, do only stretching/yoga for about 30 minutes.
    On Tuesday, do cardio for 30 minutes & add 15 minutes of weights lifting.
    On Wednesdays, do cardio for 30 minutes.
    On Thursdays, do cardio for 30 minutes & add 15 minutes of weights lifting.
    On Fridays, do cardio for 30 minutes
    On Saturdays, do cardio for 30 minutes & add 15 minutes of weight lifting.
    On Sundays, rest day.

I have been following this fitness guru for years on his website "AWorkoutRoutine". His help is free, informative, and no-nonsense articles are Super refreshing to me.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to take part in this group and meet everyone. Wish me luck in this new chapter. :)
  • bettina8037
    Good evening ladies! My name is Jessica. I have been a part of this group for almost (March) two years. I am 36yo, 5’5” and am 135-140ish lbs. I am married and have 3 children—a 5yo son and twin daughters who are 2 1/2yo. Currently I teach in higher education.

I enjoy anything and everything that involves fitness. I started lifting in July/August of last year and I’ve been running probably for 2-3 years now. I did my first 5k last summer which was awesome. In the past I have completed T25, various Jillian Michaels programs as well as Fitness Blender workouts and Taebo with Billy Blanks.

On Monday I plan to start my 3 day lifting split program (PHUL). Since it’s cold outside my cardio plans include spin class, indoor swimming, rowing, stairmaster, treadmill or indoor cycling....maybe even yoga for days I may need it. I’m definitely leaving my options open for any type of physical activity. Here is my plan below:

M - Lift
    T - Cardio
    W - Lift
    R - Cardio
    F - Lift
    S - Cardio
    S -Rest

As far as nutrition, I started back logging this past Monday. So far so good. (I stopped logging last January so it’s literally been a year). My goal is to lose 10ish lbs, MFP has me set at 1600ish calories a day and my plan is to do high carb on lifting days and low carb on cardio/non lifting days. If this becomes too hectic I will just eat sensibly within my calorie frame.

The most important thing here...my overall goal...is to NOT. GAIN. WEIGHT.

I am so glad to be here AND see new members.

Welcome to the group! Let’s enjoy each other’s company and collectively learn from our mistakes.

Cheers! :smiley:

-Jessica

I love seeing other people who love to workout!! I seriously enjoy and thrive with fitness but then kinda struggle with the food part - partially because I've got young kiddos too! It's hard to not just mindlessly snack when you're feeding them sometimes. Mfp has definitely increased my mindfulness with that lol. I'm trying to lose 10ishlb too 😊
  • bettina8037
    sasaimi wrote: »
    Good evening!

My name is Patty. I have just joined this group. I am 34 years old and I'm a 155 - 160ish lbs. I am Married and unable to have children due to PCOS. I'm currently living in Texas. I work full-time testing software applications & a part-time college student. I use to have a fitbit but my work no longer allow any bluetooth devices. Oh well

I actually enjoy working-out, but my work & school schedule made me feel too tired to squeeze a workout routine which took a heavy toll on my physical & mental health. I wish to be more disciplined and take care of myself so I can have the endurance for this heavy schedule. I hate going to school. It really is a sacrifice to me. I felt it stole my time away from my husband and family members including my alone recharge time. But I have to continue going to school to get my BS degree. Hence why I think I stopped working-out. The reason why I enjoyed working-out is because it helped me vent out my frustrations and relax my mind. Plus working-out leads to healthy body and increase self-confidence! :) This past year for not having a routine, cause me to be stuck in a endless cycle of depress by how much weight I have gained which lead to feeling too tired/non-motivated to eating ice cream cause I'm depressed then back to depressed how much weight I have gain. *sigh*

I'm still going to school, but I have to workout to stay healthy. I have learned for my body that I lose weight but maintain muscle mass by only doing about 30 minutes of cardio and every otherday add 15 minutes a weight lifting training with two day's rest. In my early silly 20's, I used to do about 2 hours each day of cardio workout except on Sundays and starve myself. Totally abusing my body and drove myself and others insane. Lol cranky..very cranky.

My plan is:
    On Sundays, rest day.

I have been following this fitness guru for years on his website "AWorkoutRoutine". His help is free, informative, and no-nonsense articles are Super refreshing to me.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to take part in this group and meet everyone. Wish me luck in this new chapter. :)

Goodness you sound busy! When are you going to fit the workouts in? I do early mornings but I've previously done lunch breaks or evenings (that was hard for me because I had no energy by then). I hope you find your sweet spot with scheduling to be your healthiest self!
  • sasaimi
    sasaimi Posts: 27 Member
    sasaimi wrote: »
    Good evening!

My plan is:
    On Sundays, rest day.

Goodness you sound busy! When are you going to fit the workouts in? I do early mornings but I've previously done lunch breaks or evenings (that was hard for me because I had no energy by then). I hope you find your sweet spot with scheduling to be your healthiest self!

I am hoping the morning timeslot will work out. ^.^
  • lwh99
    lwh99 Posts: 14 Member
    @ sasaimi - aka Patty. Keep up the school! Even though it is hard it will likely open more doors when you get through and the sense of accomplishment will be well worth it. Part time is how I did it. I went back when my kids were 5,7, and 9 to get my MS. Took me a few years but landed me a great job that I've had for 15+ years. And its in a medical software company! Upside is that they haven't banded bluetooth devices. I would certainly miss mine.

Looking forward to you and the others know how the fitness side of things go. I have gotten into reformer Pilates in the past 6 months and try to walk. 10k steps is my goal but hard to do during the work week unless I hop on the treadmill. I also was going to yoga regularly but somehow I stopped doing that. It would be great to work it make into my routine.

Btw - forgot to mention in my original post, my name is Lynn :)