Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

@Sub4_2018 Thanks! We've learned a lot from the participants that pop in, and keep popping in.

Love your username and goals! I'm nearly an hour over a sub-4 marathon (did my first in Aug 2017 aged 50, have done a 50 km and another 42.2km this year), but happy with my efforts.

I look forward to hearing about your progress! Have you got a race lined up for an attempt?

@Orphia Thank you so much! My sub-4 attempt was September 2018 and I came in at 3:52! All the happy tears that day. I'm currently training for the Vancouver marathon in May. I love that your first marathon was at 50 and you've since done a 50k - that's amazing! which marathon are you doing this year?
  • Sub4_2018
    meggers123 wrote: »

Just a little laugh. But seriously, Day 4 and the temptation is great. Probably doesn’t help that it’s Friday evening- I’m used to unwinding with a glass of wine- and my kids are hyper.

@meggers123 Lol! I have been loving all the Bird Box memes lately. I feel you, Friday is always hard for me. My time to unwind and relax. I'm having mocktails tonight - sparkling water, bitters and lime. It's not my wine, but it'll do!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Thank you for the laugh! Here is to day four!
  • anmille8
    anmille8 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm excited to see how this weekend goes. So far I don't have any plans to be social so hopefully I'll just be chilling without temptation
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    I have a lot of things coming up this month that have been associated with alcohol consumption in the past - shooting photos at live concerts and business team meetings over a four-day period. It’s going to be interesting to see how being AF changes my photography and sociability.

Decided to make an accountability thread, so here goes:
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - AF
    Jan 3 - AF
    Jan 4 -
    Jan 5 -
    Jan 6 -
    Jan 7 -
    Jan 8 -
    Jan 9 -
    Jan 10 -
    Jan 11 -
    Jan 12 -
    Jan 13 -
    Jan 14 -
    Jan 15 -
    Jan 16 -
    Jan 17 -
    Jan 18 -
    Jan 19 -
    Jan 20 -
    Jan 21 -
    Jan 22 -
    Jan 23 -
    Jan 24 -
    Jan 25 -
    Jan 26 -
    Jan 27 -
    Jan 28 -
    Jan 29 -
    Jan 30 -
    Jan 31 -
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I am in for a "less alcohol" January. All in all, I did cut back in 2018, but November and December could have been a lot better. Too much going on. I still have not yet decided that a completely alcohol-free life is right for me, but I must admit that I do worry that I drink more than I should. I will take 2019 one day at a time as I did last year, with plans of having more alcohol free days than not. So far I have not had any drinks in 2019, but today is Friday, which usually means a few drinks. Plans for tonight are for dinner at home with my husband and taking down my Christmas tree (yeah, I'm a wild one). I have not yet decided if this will include wine or a night cap. I will play it by ear, but I will be meeting my running group at 8 AM for a run, so I know that will keep me from going overboard.

January alcohol-free days-3/3
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Day 4, definite energy spike, lol. The weekends are always the hardest for me but I have a positive attitude...for now.
  • Sub4_2018
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I am in for a "less alcohol" January. All in all, I did cut back in 2018, but November and December could have been a lot better. Too much going on. I still have not yet decided that a completely alcohol-free life is right for me, but I must admit that I do worry that I drink more than I should. I will take 2019 one day at a time as I did last year, with plans of having more alcohol free days than not. So far I have not had any drinks in 2019, but today is Friday, which usually means a few drinks. Plans for tonight are for dinner at home with my husband and taking down my Christmas tree (yeah, I'm a wild one). I have not yet decided if this will include wine or a night cap. I will play it by ear, but I will be meeting my running group at 8 AM for a run, so I know that will keep me from going overboard.

@lporter229 - I feel like I could have written this post! I constantly analyze my relationship with alcohol, worry that I drink more than I should, but know that (at this point) I don't want to have a completely AF life. For now my goal is just as you said - to have more AF days in 2019 than not (I could probably count on one hand the number of AF days I had in 2018). Enjoy your run tomorrow! I find I always want a few beers after my Saturday long run, and know that will definitely be a challenge tomorrow.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »

@lporter229 - I feel like I could have written this post! I constantly analyze my relationship with alcohol, worry that I drink more than I should, but know that (at this point) I don't want to have a completely AF life. For now my goal is just as you said - to have more AF days in 2019 than not (I could probably count on one hand the number of AF days I had in 2018). Enjoy your run tomorrow! I find I always want a few beers after my Saturday long run, and know that will definitely be a challenge tomorrow.

Yep, running does that to me too. The old " I earned it" attitude. Doesn't help that most of the runners I know are drinkers!
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    I’m starting deliberately late, been on holidays. I did dry January last year and really benefited from better running and better sleep. Having been injured for last 5 months, I am now getting back to fitness and using this as a good boost & kick start to losing the weight I put on not exercising. I’m looking forward to a lighter 2019!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,515 Member
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.
    I'm not really into deprivation, just trying to be more moderate with food and alcohol.
    My primary reason for AF days is weight loss. Once alcohol is in our bodies our liver concentrates on only that and not on metabolising fat or anything else. Also, being puffy is not ideal : - )
    My goal is 4 - 5 AF days per week.
    I was 16 day AF out of 30 for December, not counting the 31st. Up until October 27th.18 I was having drinks every single day. I have cut back for sure.
    I do plan to have champagne NYE.

December 31st - 1 pumpkin spice cream liqueur, 2 mixed drinks. I did not get to the champagne.
    January 1st - AF
    January 2nd - AF
    January 3rd - AF
    January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.
    January 5th -
    January 6th -
    January 7th -
    January 8th -
    January 9th -
    January 10th -
    January 11th -
    January 12th -
    January 13th -
    January 14th -
    January 15th -
    January 16th -
    January 17th -
    January 18th -
    January 19th -
    January 20th -
    January 21st -
    January 22nd -
    January 23rd -
    January 24th -
    January 25th -
    January 26th -
    January 27th -
    January 28th -
    January 29th -
    January 30th -
    January 31st -
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,301 Member
    I am finding that my taste and smell senses are becoming stronger since cutting back on the alcohol. Has anyone else noticed the same?
    I stuck with my 1 drink last night, 1 shot of TQ... feeling good this morning, even with only 5 hours sleep.
    Tonight might be more of a challenge...
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,532 Member
    edited January 2019
    ugh...tried to post an image on here and only a link of it showed.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    Last night I went to my sister's house for our usual Friday night of food, beer, TV. We went out to eat and I usually get two beers at the restaurant but this time I only got one. I set a limit of 5 beers over the course of the night and had 4 1/2. Usually I will have 6 (or sometimes 7!). I would like to get down to only 3 drinks per week. Baby steps!

The tough part is Saturday night. I usually boredom drink on Saturday nights because husband spends all night (all weekend, really) playing video games and the kids drive me nuts with their fighting. So I'm planning on doing an activity with the kids and maybe saving yoga for later tonight (I'm doing a 30 day yoga program for January). Hopefully I can distract myself because I still have several beers in the fridge calling to me!

So glad I rediscovered this thread. You guys are all great and I'm glad there's other people out there like me having the same struggles and successes.

Progress!! I am making necessary changes as well and planning ahead of certain situations. I enjoy cooking while enjoying my vino daily. Instead I bought a glass teapot with flowering tea pods. I feel like it’s a treat! I am feeling more energetic, few nights not sleeping through the entire night. However, last night was great, sleep so soundly with no booze. Thumbs up!
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Have had my last alcohol tonight til 8 Feb at least, having done before am excited, aware of the weekend temptation, but equally know the benefits from 5/6/7 weeks off...