Less Alcohol - January 2019 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Morelittletoys
    Morelittletoys Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for your support @MissMay I do need to learn to say No.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

@Sub4_2018 Thanks! We've learned a lot from the participants that pop in, and keep popping in.

Love your username and goals! I'm nearly an hour over a sub-4 marathon (did my first in Aug 2017 aged 50, have done a 50 km and another 42.2km this year), but happy with my efforts.

I look forward to hearing about your progress! Have you got a race lined up for an attempt?

@Orphia Thank you so much! My sub-4 attempt was September 2018 and I came in at 3:52! All the happy tears that day. I'm currently training for the Vancouver marathon in May. I love that your first marathon was at 50 and you've since done a 50k - that's amazing! which marathon are you doing this year?

@Sub4_2018 Yay, that's so great you did it!!!

Thanks for your nice compliment. x

At this stage I'm looking at Adelaide (I live in Australia). Will see how I go staying free of injuries. There are a few others I can do later if that one isn't an option.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Thanks for your support @MissMay I do need to learn to say No.

@Morelittletoys It's not your fault.

Alcohol is a substance with side effects that include wanting more.

I see it as that the problem doesn't lie with you. x
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,542 Member
    Day 5 and the first AF Saturday! I’m excited to get up in the morning, feeling good, and working out!!

Awesome job @MonkeyMel21! Weekends have wonderful potential when we have the energy to enjoy them. Think I will join you in a Sunday morning workout.
  • MissMay
    Have had my last alcohol tonight til 8 Feb at least, having done before am excited, aware of the weekend temptation, but equally know the benefits from 5/6/7 weeks off...

Great additude @slimbyjune18. Awareness is a huge step towards fighting the battle.
  • MissMay
    Progress!! I am making necessary changes as well and planning ahead of certain situations. I enjoy cooking while enjoying my vino daily. Instead I bought a glass teapot with flowering tea pods. I feel like it’s a treat! I am feeling more energetic, few nights not sleeping through the entire night. However, last night was great, sleep so soundly with no booze. Thumbs up!

Congratulations on your progress. And on your new teapot reward.

• MissMay
    I am finding that my taste and smell senses are becoming stronger since cutting back on the alcohol. Has anyone else noticed the same?
    I stuck with my 1 drink last night, 1 shot of TQ... feeling good this morning, even with only 5 hours sleep.
    Tonight might be more of a challenge...
    Yes, I seem to have acquired better senses since having less alcohol also. Hope last night was not to much of a challenge for you to get through.
  • MissMay
    edited January 2019
    My aim is regulation. I am not doing "dry January", but good for all of you that are!
    Having this thread keeps me accountable.

January 4th - 3 drinks Friday night. I actually had 4, but then threw up lol. This is the reason that I never have more than 3 if I choose to have drinks. Good reminder. Yes, I can never be "drunk" because I can't have more than 3.

Oh goodness @dawnbgethealthy, sorry to hear you were ill Friday night. Good vibes your way for a better weekend.
  • MissMay
    BuffMom84 wrote: »
    So glad I rediscovered this thread. You guys are all great and I'm glad there's other people out there like me having the same struggles and successes.
    😊 there are a lot more of us with this situation than I ever realized until getting in here last January. Hope the kiddos did not fight to much over the weekend.
  • MissMay
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    I have a lot of things coming up this month that have been associated with alcohol consumption in the past - shooting photos at live concerts and business team meetings over a four-day period. It’s going to be interesting to see how being AF changes my photography and sociability.

Decided to make an accountability thread, so here goes:
    Jan 1 - AF
    Jan 2 - AF
    Jan 3 - AF

Welcome to the group. Yes it seems almost every event is associated with alcohol these days. Let us know how your photography skills developed being AF.
  • MissMay
    edited January 2019
    anmille8 wrote: »
    I'm excited to see how this weekend goes. So far I don't have any plans to be social so hopefully I'll just be chilling without temptation

Welcome @anmillle8. Weekends seem to be the theme lately. Hope yours was smooth sailing.
  • MissMay
    @kittybenn congrats on dropping a few pounds. That is a nice motivator. It is so nice to see you back in here again getting and giving support.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Still been AF since the 2nd
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Made it through my first weekend af! Last night was tough - I ended up just going to bed early. It worked, though - I got 10 hours of sleep last night!!
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Lost a couple of pounds, always a nice side effect of Dry January. Almost through the weekend but have family dinner with my wine-intensive relatives tonight. Will take my nonalcoholic drinks with me and enjoy the company. Hope everyone is getting through the weekend strong. Weekdays always seem much easier for me, prob mostly because I'm already in a pattern of not drinking Mon-Thurs.

I have lost a few pounds too!! My “official” weigh in day is Tuesday, but I got on the scale this morning. 😏. It was a great motivator and help to just say no last night. I hope your dinner with the relatives went well last night!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member

I'm participating in Dry January to prove to myself that I can resist temptation and I don't need alcohol to always have a good time. I know when January is over I will have a glass of wine, but only during times of celebration or a good meal. Good luck to you all! Today is the start of day 6 for me and have surprised myself. Went out to Mexican last night and drank water. Everyone else at the table had alcohol. It felt great to wake up today not severely bloated (sodium bomb last night) and also proud of myself to resist.