Instant pot recipe/meal prep

StefanieBerger88
StefanieBerger88 Posts: 36 Member
Anyone else recently get an instant pot? Or had one for a while? I’m new to the insta world and would love to share recipes. So far in the instant pot I’ve made, Panera mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, and a few days ago I made some chicken for my salads. Today I’m attempting a Tuscan chicken dish with sun dried tomato and spinach. Would love to hear about what you’ve made and get some great ideas!

Also, for the meal preppers out there, have you used it to meal prep for the week?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Mississippi Pot Roast is a family favorite. Soups are another great option. Dried beans are quick and simple with no need for soaking. Once you have homemade yogurt, you'll never buy store bought again. Quinoa comes out perfect. All of these can be used for meal prep.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Easy stuff includes spaghetti with meat sauce, soups, steamed fish (using the racks) with veggies, meatloaf and mashed potatoes... get the instant pot app if you don't have it. Very easy, basic recipes there and they have every category covered. There are a TON of blogs and sites devoted to IP recipes.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    This is my favorite IP recipe. I make it at least once per week. Sometimes I use chicken breast instead of pork if its cheaper. I've experimented and if you're short on time, don't worry about searing everything. It still comes out fantastic! I also add bell peppers sliced really big- they fall apart in a pressure cooker so you don't get much for texture or taste, but the color is nice and the nutrients stay. https://nomnompaleo.com/instant-pot-spicy-pineapple-pork
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I got a Ninja Foodi for Christmas. It's fabulous. It does IP functions and air fryer/broiler. It's fantastic. I'm going insane wanting to try new things. It does meat fantastic. I haven't figured out adapting it for meal prep yet, I've just been making family size meals. I think it may be better suited to prep the ingredients and cook them in the foodi night of, since it cooks so fast and it is easier for me to make family sized portions at once this way.
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    In Texas chili isn't supposed to contain beans. At least that's the legend.

Supposedly it's all about the meats. Basically cuts of meat leftover, smoked and then rehydrated into a stew called chili. Not so sure that sounds appetizing to me and you can bet the sodium levels are off the charts with the smoked, cured meats inside.

Such a chili would take a long time to cook and would be a braise more than a stew. I began to wonder: what if I wanted just a simple, non-offensive chili that was lower on the calories, but not ground turkey. A chili with vegetation but not beans. A tomato chili?

So here's what I came up with. It uses your Instant Pot, so it goes pretty fast!
    • 1 lb stew beef, cut to 1" pieces
    • 2 tsp olive oil
    • 1 garlic cloves, chopped
    • 2 large green peppers cut into large chunks
    • 1 large red pepper cut into large chunks
    • 1 cup unsalted beef broth (Swansons)
    • 1 heaping tbsp each: cumin and paprika
    • 1 packet herb ox unsalted bouillon
    • 1/2 cup Fort Worth Stockyard liquid smoke [IMPORTANT TO USE THIS BRAND!]
    • 8 oz can no salt added tomato sauce
    • 6 oz can of tomato paste
    • 1/2 pint whole grape tomatoes
    Set your instant pot to saute and heat the oil. Once it shimmers, add in the beef. It will sizzle and stick. That's okay because, as it gives up its juices, it will unstick. And that's okay too because, eventually, the liquid will disappear and the meat will caramelize. And that's okay because you're going to ....

Add in all the vegetation at once and stir, sauteing for another 2 minutes. It will stick again but that's okay because you will be adding in....

The bouillon, the broth, the liquid smoke, well all the other stuff except the tomato paste. And stir.

Then turn off your Instant pot, then restart it in manual mode and cook for 10 minutes with instant release so it will steam out on its own. Once its steamed out, open the pot and test. If the meat is tender but not falling apart, its done. Now add in the tomato paste and stir.

At this point, if you want to hold off serving, you can simply refrigerate and reheat on saute, lid open, later on. Or, if you plan to eat it right away, stir it up, place on saute, and cook another 2-5 minutes, stirring all the time.

PAIRING? Corn tortillas, sprayed with oil on each side and warmed in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.

This recipe feeds six people and is packed with all kinds of protein. The tally? A mere 284 calories per serving, 53 mg sodium, and 23 grams protein.
  • Jrpwgr
    Jrpwgr Posts: 44 Member
    I love mine most of all for soups. My favorites are 'souper' easy in it. Saute an onion in it, put in about 4-6 cups of vegetables, a container of chicken stock, salt, pepper, seasonings. Turn it off, then set to high pressure for 12 minutes. When done, take an immersion blender to it while adding some milk, milk substitute, cream or coconut milk. Heaven, and fills you up.

My favorite combinations:
    cauliflower, potato, curry powder
    butternut squash, golden beet, nutmeg
    potato, leek, roasted garlic
    black bean, tomato, cumin, chili powder
    carrot, rutabaga, ginger
    parsnip, white bean, olive oil, oregano and lemon
    turnip, sweet potato, bacon

• mandi9041
    mandi9041 Posts: 31 Member
    I use my Instant Pot to quickly power through my weekly meal prep. In one day, I've done hardboiled eggs, baked sweet potatoes, shredded chicken and a pot of black beans. Then overnight, I'll make some greek yogurt!

Depending on if I'm making a soup that week, I will also make a vegetable or chicken broth.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Throw a jar of green chili verde in the bottom of the pot, toss in 3 large chicken breasts or thick pork chops. Sprinkle seasoning over the chicken (I use 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp cumin). Place a trivet over the chicken. Put an oven safe bowl on the trivet with 1 cup brown rice and 1 1/4 broth and seasoning of choice. Set it for 25 minutes and let it natural release for 10 minutes. Take out the rice and fluff it - add some salsa if you want some extra flavor or spice. Shred the chicken right in the juice. You can portion it into containers with vegetable of choice or serve it with low calorie, high fibre tortillas.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    This is my favorite IP recipe. I make it at least once per week. Sometimes I use chicken breast instead of pork if its cheaper. I've experimented and if you're short on time, don't worry about searing everything. It still comes out fantastic! I also add bell peppers sliced really big- they fall apart in a pressure cooker so you don't get much for texture or taste, but the color is nice and the nutrients stay. https://nomnompaleo.com/instant-pot-spicy-pineapple-pork

that sounds really good. What is the magic mushroom powder though lol?? do you use that or salt? It also says to cook the pork for only 35 minutes. When I cook pork roast for pulled pork it takes a good hour and a half.. Hmm.