Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I'm in. I was sober from August until December. Since then I've had maybe 5 glasses of wine. I'm totally down for a dry January.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Has anyone see the scale drop with dry January? :smiley:

It's gone down a few pounds since Jan 1. I'm figuring some is 'bloat' and some is from me dieting and one or so from the extra calories I'm not drinking weekly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Day 7 done and dusted.

A friend and teacher of mine suggested when we set goals we ask three questions (she got this from a Ted talk):
    1. Can I do it.
    2. will the outcome be what I want
    3. is it worth it.

I can do this, in fact so far it's not hard, just takes some mindfulness. Will the outcome be what I want? I hope so. I hope it will lead to 4-5Lbs loss as I am also dieting to lose some meno-pounds. Is it worth it? SURE!
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I'm a little late to the party but I'm in. Need to quit drinking period!
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    I'm a little late to the party but I'm in. Need to quit drinking period!

Welcome! Late is better than never. I didn't start myself until 1/3. Today will be my day 5 without drinking. I know it's early in the day, but I think I'll make it. One day at a time.
  • Alpha12
    Has anyone see the scale drop with dry January? :smiley:

Not a real weigh-in day for me, but I've been dry since 1/3 and I'm down exactly 2 lbs. Bloat, I'm guessing. The real proof will be when I weigh myself at the end of January.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    I have to say that I feel so much better in the morning by not drinking the night prior. In turn, I will push harder in my workouts and continue to make mindeful choices. When I am thinking geezz, I would love to have a few glasses of wine tonight, how will I feel in the morning. Here is to dry January!
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    Hi, I was doing well until this past weekend went to a party and drank some champagne....disappointed, but back on track now, weekends will be trying. Go out alot on weekends and live in a small city within walking distance to restaurants, pubs...giving up wine during week is not too hard for me. I also like teas especially herbal at night.
  • Alpha12
    On to day 6 of dry January for me today! I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'm by no means complacent. Temptation can strike at any time. How is everyone else doing?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have a very serious question and dont mean to sound rude or offend anyone but.... do you guys doing this have a serious drinking problem or are you just doing this for fun? Kind of like a W30?

Did you read the thread? I think there is some of both here.
  • Alpha12
    edited January 2019
    I have a very serious question and dont mean to sound rude or offend anyone but.... do you guys doing this have a serious drinking problem or are you just doing this for fun? Kind of like a W30?

No, I don't think I have a "serious drinking problem" but I'm not doing this for fun either. I think I've been drinking too much lately and it's time for me to take a month or so off. I need to lose about 30 lbs and find that drinking wine about 3 times per week (bottle each time) is sabotaging my weight loss. I'm not saying I won't ever have wine again, but this month, I'm choosing to stay dry. Also, a good way for me to find out if I'm heading into the "serious drinking" category.
  • SallyLuvsFitness

Hi! None taken at all. For myself why I decided dry January is for the fact that I do enjoy my wine and it has not helped my waistline over the last few years. I have gained approximately ten pounds and I know that is a contributing factor. Eat really healthy and workout. I enjoy cooking while drinking wine with my husband, during dinner and maybe a glass afterward. I know that it is too much alcohol and I want to be healthier in 2019. I do enjoy drinking and agree with @alpha12 that I am not giving it forever. I am going to achieve my goal and drink in better moderation. I would say that I am a daily drinker and wanted to quit a habit that could turn into a “serious drinking” problem.

I will say this that I am use to having wine in the evening and it has been a transition. I am happy for everyone if they are doing this challenge from drinking a few days a week to drinking all the time. It shows me that you want change for yourself in a better healthier way! You made the first step!

@crazyravr Are you doing dry January?
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    On to day 6 of dry January for me today! I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I'm by no means complacent. Temptation can strike at any time. How is everyone else doing?

Awesome! I am on day 9 and feel great! I definitely have more energy in the morning! I understand about temptation from habits that I am breaking (21 days to break habit - some say more 21/90). Here is a good example from yesterday, we golfed with friends and always afterward we have our post game drink. I chose to drink hot tea while they enjoyed their cocktail (enjoyed my tea too); however, at first I wanted to drink with them (was not thrilled - however, changed my attitude). I played better golf yesterday as well! I didn’t want the extra calories and made a goal of dry January.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Also, in the past would have enjoyed that drink after golf and would have started cooking with wine. VERY happy I saved all those calories and like mentioned above I have a lot more energy. I am looking forward to a good hard workout this morning!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited January 2019

I drink maybe 2-3 times a month. 2-4 drinks each time. So between 4-12 drinks a month. Not a problem at all. I do find though that I use a glass of alcohol to make conversation in groups easier(I fight some anxiety), and once I have had one I want three. I try to always be very aware of my actual thoughts surrounding WHY I want alcohol at that moment. Alcoholism runs in my family. It never hurts me to give it up completely for a time frame, drop some calories both from the drinks and from the snacking that I do when I drink, and just in general set goals for myself and stick to them.

ETA: rereading this I realized this: if I could moderate my thoughts and food triggers as well as I feel I moderate alcohol, I would be golden. Off topic though and something I have been improving greatly in the past year.

• JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member

I'm not doing this for fun, per se. But for my health and goals. Personally I had developed a weekly habit of grabbing a bottle of wine to watch movies with my husband every Friday/Saturday night. That wine was empty calories, which led to eating excess carbs mindlessly, which led to less energy the next day. Ultimately unraveling any calorie deficit progress I had made during the week.

In addition to this challenge I am also involved in a 6 week challenge at my gym in which one of the rules to the meal plan is "no alcohol". So I find a forum like this helpful to encourage others as well as myself to stay strong while abstaining from something that does not contribute to reaching our goals, swap tips/tricks on navigating social situations while abstaining, etc.

While everyone's consumption varies, that's where I am at right now :)
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited January 2019
    Weekend get-togethers with foodie friends always include wine and food. I don't plan to socialize much in January because I want to drop some December weight (and save money). I was very "festive".
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    Weekend get-togethers with foodie friends always include wine and food. I don't plan to socialize much in January because I want to drop some December weight (and save money). I was very "festive".

I am right there with you!
  • Alpha12
    edited January 2019
    On to day 7 today! I'm finding out that for me, at least so far, reaching for wine is just something to do in the evenings when I cook, watch TV etc. and not a physical need. As long as I occupy my mind in the evening and do something else in place of wine - the "witching hour" of 6-7pm passes, and I'm good. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but I find that I've been reaching for an afternoon piece of candy this past week. I guess I need to get my sugar that I would normally get from wine some other way. :smile:

How is everyone else doing?
  • cavatinne
    cavatinne Posts: 24 Member
    Fortunately I do not have dependency issue, as I have know alcoholics who struggle and work so hard for sobriety. I stopped resolutions years ago to consciously take stock and think about how I am living. For me it so easy to get used to being on auto pilot, prepare to cook, pour wine, drink wine... and this does add up and for me it only goes to one place - waistline...especially as I age no amount of working out seems to reduce that.. all about the diet.