Planet Fitness ?

Does anyone go to Planet Fitness? I been going to Anytime Fitness but I need a change. Anytime is so small and trainers and clients take up the space a lot. I thought about going to Planet Fitness but I have heard many negative things about planet fitness regarding unexpected fees, etc

Replies

• kellyjfenn
    kellyjfenn Posts: 28 Member
    I definitely don’t want kids running around.. lol. Idk why I’m nervous to go in there and trying new, I just my routine at my current gym is boring. I’m hoping I can get a guest pass for a week
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I think the only issue with planet fitness is they don't have free weights with barbells. So if you use those it might not be a good fit for you. Otherwise it sounds like a good deal.
  • kellyjfenn
    I will still keep my other gym for that reason. I’m checking it out now. I was annoyed because I had to get used to a different treadmill. Atleast it’s not depressing here
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Not my kind of place, but to each there own..
  • mkkleparek
    mkkleparek Posts: 1 Member
    I recently joined Planet Fitness and like it for all the same reasons listed by kgb6days above. Can't beat the cost/value.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have a PF membership. I went regularly for a while, took a break, and now I'm trying to make it a habit again.

My local PF is pretty decent. The employees are friendly enough and I often see them cleaning the equipment. Paper towels and sanitizer are readily available. I always wipe every machine before and after using it though, because not everyone wipes them down. That happens everywhere though.

They have plenty of cardio machines and I've never had to wait longer than a minute or two for anything else I've wanted to use. I believe most PF do not have much in the way of free weights. My location does offer dumbbells, but I guess that most PF do not. PF does offer free personal training, but I think its more of a general overview than anything in depth. I never took advantage of it. My location also offers a few different classes each day.

I've never heard the "lunk alarm" go off. I know a lot of people complain about that.

The only issue that I have run into is the showers. They aren't kept very clean and my location's showers were poorly designed so that the water doesn't drain properly and just sits on the floor.

All in all, I feel like I get my money worth for $10 a month.

On a side note, I like that all of the cardio machines have a personal tv. It makes time move a bit faster for me.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    The only problem I have is that not all gyms in the chain have the same standard equipment. The one near my home has stairclimber and plyo boxes, but no kettlebells or medicine balls. The one near my job doesn't have stairclimbers, plyo boxes, or battle ropes. So basically my WOD dictates which one I go to.

Price and staff are great. Cleanliness is meh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    If you do barbell work, it won't be a good fit. I've had a membership in the past for the sole purpose of doing cardio when the weather won't let me get outside, but I never used it for weight lifting because no barbells or squat racks or deadlifting/oly platforms.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I am on a $10 a month plus $39 annual PF plan. I do mostly cardio on Arc Trainer, do a couple of abs machines and the endless rope for a few minutes. Sometimes a few more machines, but a lot of visits that's it. I usually do 1 to 2 hours on the Arc Trainer. I go early, do my work out, shower and go to my office. I did the single location membership because it's very near my office; super convenient. The only other gym that convenient for me is Lifetime Fitne$$. Met with the trainer once, have done a couple of instructor led classes/workouts. Those were fine. I am happy with it; it meets my simple needs. I got in shape mostly by paddling SUP and walking long distances. I don't want to lose it over the winter. I will use it far less in warm weather, but probably still swing by once or twice most weeks.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    kellyjfenn wrote: »
    I will still keep my other gym for that reason. I’m checking it out now. I was annoyed because I had to get used to a different treadmill. Atleast it’s not depressing here

What else, if anything, do you do besides cardio? If just cardio, by all means join PF, although you should start taking advantage of the weights ;)
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    I have a black card membership, so I can use any Planet Fitness. I visit two near my house and two near my boyfriend's house. Take a tour and make use of the free pass before you join, especially if you'r eonly going to use one club, because the equipment varies from location to location. When I first joied I met with the trainer and had her design a program for me, but there's no real personal training.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I am, I love it-go daily <3
  • watson_2020
    watson_2020 Posts: 2 Member
    I like mine. It doesn’t have the greatest selection of barbells but lots of dumbbells. It doesn’t have any other free weight equipment either (I.e medicine balls etc) but I still like it and it is way cheaper than Goodlife
  • Howard_M_Burgerz
    Howard_M_Burgerz Posts: 61 Member
    Like the OP. I've read a lot of reviews about the 2 local discount gyms. I have issues with any company that won't take full payment up front via cash/debit for their goods or services.
  • CarvedTones
    kellyjfenn wrote: »

I like the attitude, even if it is pretty obvious that it is part of the job. A smile and "have a great work out" on the way in and "have a great day!" on the way out makes me feel goo, forced or not. I think it quits being forced and comes naturally to them after a while.
    The only problem I have is that not all gyms in the chain have the same standard equipment. The one near my home has stairclimber and plyo boxes, but no kettlebells or medicine balls. The one near my job doesn't have stairclimbers, plyo boxes, or battle ropes. So basically my WOD dictates which one I go to.

Price and staff are great. Cleanliness is meh.

Weird; mine is very clean (nearly always one or two people out on the floor or in the bathrooms cleaning) and has all that equipment.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2019
    The main downside to PF is they don't have barbells. They do have weight machines, smith machines, and dumbells though. They also don't have a pool or group classes if you're into those. Their marketing/rules some people have an issue with but I personally couldn't care less about that. It's $10 a month with a $39 annual fee, so it works out to like $14/month. I will say though, when you sign up, they charge you the $39 fee, and then it's due again at whatever point in the year they charge. So that first year you have to pay it twice. Right now, with it being new years, they have the $1 sign up fee special, so if you want to join, nows the time.
  • CarvedTones
    hesn92 wrote: »
    The main downside to PF is they don't have barbells. They do have weight machines, smith machines, and dumbells though. They also don't have a pool or group classes if you're into those. Their marketing/rules some people have an issue with but I personally couldn't care less about that. It's $10 a month with a $39 annual fee, so it works out to like $14/month. I will say though, when you sign up, they charge you the $39 fee, and then it's due again at whatever point in the year they charge. So that first year you have to pay it twice. Right now, with it being new years, they have the $1 sign up fee special, so if you want to join, nows the time.

They have some kind of deal to wave the sign up fee (or charge some tiny amount; I paid a dime) several times a year.
  • kellyjfenn
    Yes, I like to use barbells, and weights, it’s just hard to get to at my current gym, it’s always being used.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    I just joined planet fitness and I am liking it so far. I’m just starting out in my fitness journey so this is perfect for me for now. I mainly work on a cardio machine and then try the 30 minute challenge. I think it just mainly depends on what your looking for in a gym.