Is it possible to lose weight without working out?

Hello!

Newbie here :) I am keeping track of my calories and walk on the treadmill every night for an hour or so. I don’t have a chance to go to the gym just yet as I have a newborn. Is it possible to lose weight without working out? I see so many incredible stories in the Sucess Stories page, but many mention that they go to CrossFit or the gym, something I can’t do at the moment.
Thank you!!!

Replies

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Yes, the only thing required for weight loss is that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your goals. And that can happen in your kitchen.

Once your little one is a bit older (and weather turns nicer, if you live somewhere that has winter weather right now), then going on walks with the stroller is a great way to get in some exercise. Or even walking the mall with the stroller :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yep, certainly possible. Many people find it easier with exercise (for a number of reasons), but ultimately weight loss just comes down to the math/numbers. If you can make the numbers work in your favor, consistently over time, without exercise, then you'll certainly see progress.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Yes, it is! A lot of people just concentrate on the foods, first before adding any exercise into their routine (if they do at all) and you will lose weight. You are already incorporating exercise! You are moving! I am a single mom and going to a class, or the gym was really tough for me, so I would walk. As you get more comfortable, you may want to pick up a dvd, but you may not.... whatever works for you ! Good Luck.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    vickygalo wrote: »
    Hello!

Newbie here :) I am keeping track of my calories and walk on the treadmill every night for an hour or so. I don’t have a chance to go to the gym just yet as I have a newborn. Is it possible to lose weight without working out? I see so many incredible stories in the Sucess Stories page, but many mention that they go to CrossFit or the gym, something I can’t do at the moment.
    Thank you!!!

I started in 2016 and lost over 130 lbs at the rate of slightly over a pound a week. I have been in maintenance since July of 2018. I did not workout or use a treadmill.

FWIW, I am reasonably active. I wore a step counter initially. It was very boring. I do about 8000 steps a day just going about my weekday work. Sundays are about 12,000. Monday is my day off, and I would log a blistering 3500 steps or so on a Monday, although I was bad about wearing it on Monday too. I finally stopped with the step counter.
  • vickygalo
    vickygalo Posts: 41 Member
    You are all beyond amazing. Thank you so much xoxo
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    As others have said it is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn over time. I actually think this is a good way to do things. I am an endurance athlete (using term loosely) and sometimes need to eat back as many as 1000+ calories from exercise. That said - when I started my weight loss journey I lost over 30 pounds before I began exercising. I think it was a gift in disguise because I learned how to eat and manage my caloric intake. I finally learned that diet controls weight - exercise influences fitness. In my opinion it's a slippery slope to depend on exercise alone to create a calorie deficit. What happens when you can't exercise? You have to know how to adjust food consumption based on how many calories your body needs.

So yes - You can lose weight without exercise. Good luck. You'll find plenty of folks here that will gladly help you along your journey.
  • vickygalo
    vickygalo Posts: 41 Member
    As others have said it is as simple as eating fewer calories than you burn over time. I actually think this is a good way to do things. I am an endurance athlete (using term loosely) and sometimes need to eat back as many as 1000+ calories from exercise. That said - when I started my weight loss journey I lost over 30 pounds before I began exercising. I think it was a gift in disguise because I learned how to eat and manage my caloric intake. I finally learned that diet controls weight - exercise influences fitness. In my opinion it's a slippery slope to depend on exercise alone to create a calorie deficit. What happens when you can't exercise? You have to know how to adjust food consumption based on how many calories your body needs.

So yes - You can lose weight without exercise. Good luck. You'll find plenty of folks here that will gladly help you along your journey.

Thank you so much!! And congrats on your weight loss! 😊
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    edited January 2019
    There's lots of at home workouts you can do. Exercise doesn't have to be your number 1 method to lose weight, but it does help and is required for optimal health. Best thing to do for wt loss is to hire a dietitian!

Why do you need a dietitian to lose weight?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yes, but lifting, or any kind of resistance training may help maintain lean mass. You can lose weight, but training will help with body comp.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Again, the answer is yes, but read this thread to see someone who has hit their goal, but not happy with body comp.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718468/recomp-only-option

Bear this in mind as you lose weight.

Yet to see anyone post on here that they were sorry for starting lifting and lots (myself included) who wished they started sooner.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    You just need a deficit; not everyone on MFP can exercise vigorously or at all!

One thing I learned was that I *didn't* have to exercise "hard core". to lose weight and get in great shape. What I was doing before was working out really hard, and then eating something like a huge bagel with cream cheese. Oops.

I like working out, but I don't have the inclination to run a marathon, do Crossfit, or whatever. I know I could do so if I want to, but I don't really want to right now. I'm quite happy taking walks, doing yoga, dancing with my Just Dance game on the Switch and the occasional Zumba thrown in. I'm doing great. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I pretty much refused to exercise at first and only focused on diet. Minus walking my dog 2x per day, I started at 256lbs. After about 30lbs or so lost, I wanted to move more, but not really until I was 30lbs or so from goal did I really start exercising more seriously.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    vickygalo wrote: »
    Hello!

Thank you!!!

Yes...but walking is exercise...ie a "workout"
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yes.
    I lost 100 pounds before I even started walking more. As you can imagine, getting that much weight off, made it easier on my knees, legs and feet to move more, and my Fitbit keeps me motivated.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    For me, it's preferable to not work out while focusing on losing weight (otherwise I'll be too hungry)