Weight Training after Open Heart Surgery (Getting back into it)

Hey guys :)

Question...I'm 45, otherwise healthy and moderately active (much more so now), I'm trying to get some advice or feedback on starting back on light weight training after an open heart surgery...has anyone else here had a surgery involving a sternectomy, and what exercises did you do to tone back up the chest area, and continue to build muscle after recovery?

I had a triple bypass 6 months ago, and now that I've been off weight restrictions for awhile and am doing cardio 6 days a week, I want to re-introduce a weight training regimen. I know I'll need to be careful and go easy at first, and watch for pops and cracks, but my cardiologist said go for it.

What has everyone else done? Alot of chest press/bench, etc? Did you start with machines first?
I'd just be interested to hear the experiences of anyone else that's had a similar surgery done. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• fitand50inSD
    fitand50inSD Posts: 166 Member
    My husband had open heart surgery at age 45 to have his aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve due to a congenital defect. He had regularly lifted weights for 20 years prior to surgery and was able to bench press 325 at a weight of 175-180 in the year prior to his surgery. After his surgery he slowly worked back into weight lifting and was able to bench press 300 lbs again within a year. His surgeon and cardiologist told him it was fine to get back into lifting once the chest healed (although to this day I don't think they had any idea how much weight he was lifting for his size.) The biggest thing I remember is the way his chest atrophied after only a couple of weeks of no lifting (lost 20 lbs and it was all muscle.)

I don't have any specific recommendations, but from my husband's experience there doesn't appear to be any limitations (assuming your physicians agree.) Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Impossible to answer your question with the limited info you posted and not knowing your complete medical and training history.

I've trained one person recently in the past year in a very simular situation though I deferred to his doctor for specifically he is cleared and not cleared for before programming and training him.

I suggest you find a experienced trainer that can consult with you first and go from there.

Good luck.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    In addition to what @Chieflrg said, cardiac rehabilitation is something I would hope you have done already. If not I would ask your cardiologist about it.