Exercising with a broken ankle

Hi everyone,
Does anyone have tips it suggestions in what kind if exercise I can do with a broken ankle? It's been 3 months I'll still wearing a boot but just start walking without it this past week. I can stand And walk a bit but not for a long period of time.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    You need to talk to your doctor about this and potentially (likely) see a physical therapist.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    When I had a broken foot, I did quite a bit of seated Zumba. There are a bunch on Youtube. You can try searching "seated Zumba" or there's also a whole branch called Silver Sneakers, or something like that. Once you start digging into the category, you should find a lot. I made myself a Youtube Playlist so that I could just move from one to the next.

You could also lift upper body, and some leg work.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    I would suggest focusing on a disciplined PT to let your ankle heal before attempting any amount of exercising. It sucks, I’ve been there, but you’ll thank yourself in the long run.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,481 Member
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    @Navallez . . . I feel your pain. I'm sure every injury is different. I broke my fibula at the ankle on a trial run at the end of November. I go back for X-rays in two weeks, hopefully the boot comes off!! I've been doing workouts on the elipitcal at the gym with no issues. Best of luck and speedy recovery!

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    If you're not in a cast and you have your doctor's ok, water exercises are a great way to keep moving without causing further injury. If you're in a cast, ask you doctor what you can/should be doing.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    First go off what your doctor and PT suggest.

After that, any seated exercise should be fine, there are lots of resources out there. I was also cleared (with a tib/fib pilon fracture) to use a lowest-resistance stationary bike once I was out of the splint and into a boot which let me get some cardio other than crutching around all over the place.

I had a fracture blister that was stubborn about healing, so water exercises were out for me, but if you are fully healed up, I'd highly recommend them if you can safely navigate into the pool.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Thank you fir the suggestions...Its rough because I do have the boot on and doctor told me to star walking without it. Problem is that my ankle swells up like a balloon. I will start slowly..I go back to him on the 16th and start physical therapy next week.