Dry January! No Alcohol!

Replies

• VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Day 10 AF! I remember from the Alcohol Experiment that it takes 10 days for alcohol to completely leave your system and allow your body to regain homeostasis, so I'm glad to have reached this goal finally. I do actually feel a lot better today than I have all month so far.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    ok so i *kitten* up last sunday but now on day 4 again, hopefully i wont screw up again!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    On to day 7 today! I'm finding out that for me, at least so far, reaching for wine is just something to do in the evenings when I cook, watch TV etc. and not a physical need. As long as I occupy my mind in the evening and do something else in place of wine - the "witching hour" of 6-7pm passes, and I'm good. I don't normally have a sweet tooth, but I find that I've been reaching for an afternoon piece of candy this past week. I guess I need to get my sugar that I would normally get from wine some other way. :smile:

How is everyone else doing?

Awesome! Same here it is the hour before dinner when I am use to drinking wine while cooking. Now I am drinking hot tea and changing my habit. Feeling great! Day Ten, here we go!

Recommend eating fruit!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Day 10 AF! I remember from the Alcohol Experiment that it takes 10 days for alcohol to completely leave your system and allow your body to regain homeostasis, so I'm glad to have reached this goal finally. I do actually feel a lot better today than I have all month so far.

Great info!
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Day 10 and doing great! I had my first weigh-in this morning and I am down 2 pounds :) Kicking butt, feeling energized and more confident.
    This weekend I have two holiday parties to go to (when will the festivities end?) and both will be full of big drinkers, whom are also used to seeing me partake. So I'm mentally preparing myself for all the questions of why I'm not drinking and the assumptions that "oh you must be pregnant" *eye roll*
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    I could never.. lol
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    JLatham325 wrote: »
    Day 10 and doing great! I had my first weigh-in this morning and I am down 2 pounds :) Kicking butt, feeling energized and more confident.
    This weekend I have two holiday parties to go to (when will the festivities end?) and both will be full of big drinkers, whom are also used to seeing me partake. So I'm mentally preparing myself for all the questions of why I'm not drinking and the assumptions that "oh you must be pregnant" *eye roll*

Awesome! Understand as we have a group we are going to dinner next week too. I am saying I am giving my liver a break after the holidays!
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Day 11 to Dry January!

How is everyone doing if you have decided for a dry January or cutting back on alcohol?

Lessons that I have learned thus far to help motivate and continue my path of AF. Not forever, but in a more sustainable manner:
    1) Relying too much on alcohol when I am stressed/frusturated etc.
    Learned: I feel so much better when I am stressed, frusturated to go workout or do something healthy. Drinking never makes it better. I knew this, but difference now is that I am doing it!
    2) Relying too much to help me relax and go to sleep.
    Learned: I am not falling asleep as fast; however, I am sleeping so much more soundly. Everyone always says this, but now I am experiencing it.
    3) I wanted to quit alcohol to give up calories in order to lose weight.
    Learned: This is so much more than a number on a scale for me. I am feeling great and thankful I am making the right choices. I am eating right, working out and not drinking. If the scale doesn’t move I am not worried. I want a healthier version of me in 2019.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2019
    Unfortunately I had couple of glasses of wine last night. No reason why, other than I really a taste for a cold glass of chardonnay - or two. I'm not going to beat myself over it and enjoy the fact that I stayed dry for 7 days. Starting with day 1 again today.
  • TheJacob_94
    TheJacob_94 Posts: 5 Member
    Im in. Im doing this challenge not to lose weight but to detox from the festive season (way to much beer). This will be quite hard as its summer time now and there is so much festivals on weekends.
    Any tips on how not be socially awkward at social events when everyone is drinking?
  • JLatham325
    JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
    Im in. Im doing this challenge not to lose weight but to detox from the festive season (way to much beer). This will be quite hard as its summer time now and there is so much festivals on weekends.
    Any tips on how not be socially awkward at social events when everyone is drinking?

I find a few things helpful:
    - if you want to reduce people asking you why you aren't drinking, choose something like club soda and a lime to have in your hand.
    - when engaging in conversation with people, make it about them. People love to talk about themselves so ask them what's going on in their lives lately, anything exciting? Any goals? How's work going? Etc. Put the focus on them and just listen (sometimes that's what people need and appreciate)
    - realize that it is never as scary as you've built it up in your head
    - take pride and confidence in knowing that you won't be getting sloppy and making a fool of yourself that night and you'll wake up refreshed the next day
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    I Have gone alcohol free for 3 months in the past, I was a weekend drinker. I noticed within a week that 1. My 5k runs got faster by one minute 2. By eating at maintenance without alcohol my body fat dropped slightly by end of the 3 months.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Alpha12 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I had couple of glasses of wine last night. No reason why, other than I really a taste for a cold glass of chardonnay - or two. I'm not going to beat myself over it and enjoy the fact that I stayed dry for 7 days. Starting with day 1 again today.

I agree of not beating yourself up, seven days Dry is great! I know for me much better than last January!
  • Alpha12
    Day 2 for me today. I woke up early, had a nice workout and I'm feeling good right now. Life is good! :smile:
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Saturday morning and already went to the gym for a great barre workout!
  • Alpha12
    Since New Year I lost 4 lbs just by staying dry, but with 1 stumble along the way 3 days ago. I've been eating my normal diet because I first wanted to eliminate wine to see how that alone affected my weight. I'm pretty happy with a 4 lb. loss in 13 days. I think I've gained new motivation to keep going!

Day 3 today (had some wine on the 10th) and I'm feeling good! :smile:

How is everyone else doing?
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Had all kinds of traveling and meetings at the start of Jan and classes started Weds. so started this weekend. On Day 2 and decided to check out the Community link and found this thread. I’m in.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm about an extra 1lb down, compared to where I'd normally be. I had been accounting for alcoholic drinks in my logging but not having them makes it easier for me to stick with healthier food choices, so I'm able to maintain my calorie deficit more easily.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    Doing great! That is awesome on your weight loss by staying dry. I am motivated as well, weigh in on Monday. Regardless, I am working out harder and eating healthy with no wine. Saving calories! If the scale doesn’t show it on Monday I know in the long run it will since I am DOING IT!

I am feeling great too! 😃
  • BethE238
    BethE238 Posts: 222 Member
    Today is day 16 for me. I plan to go until Feb 3. I’ve lost 10lbs and my skin looks AMAZING! I thought it would be harder than it has been, but I’ve noticed two big triggers that make me want my evening glass(es) of wine, which is good to be mindful of when I add it back in a few weeks.