No big drop

I’ve been tracking about a week and a half since a long break.
Usually when I start this I drop like 10 pounds the first two weeks because I’m considered obese. I’m 216pounds, a Female, exclusively breastfeeding my 7 month old, so my calorie goal is 1900 for a pound a week.
This time I’ve only lost about a pound and a half which is right on track for what I set it for. It’s just strange cause I usually drop a lot quicker then it levels out at about two weeks.
Is it because I’m breastfeeding I’m not going to drop weight as dramatically in the beginning?
Or is this the case for a lot of people?

The first time I started MyFitnessPal I went from 250 to 198 in 8 months, but lost about 10 the first two weeks.

I just want to be successful at this and it’s discouraging because it’s not going how it usually does but I know I just need to stick with it.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    1.5 pounds in just over a week sounds like you are right on track. So keep up what you are doing.

And my understanding about breastfeeding is that it burns about 300 extra calories a day.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    That initial drop is likely due to water weight and there could be a ton of reasons why you haven't yet experienced it. It could be that you're holding onto fluids because it's TOM, or around ovulation. Have you increased you workouts since you've been logging?
  • Sammileann1314
    Sammileann1314 Posts: 13 Member
    DamieBird wrote: »
    That initial drop is likely due to water weight and there could be a ton of reasons why you haven't yet experienced it. It could be that you're holding onto fluids because it's TOM, or around ovulation. Have you increased you workouts since you've been logging?
    No I haven’t increased exercise. I also haven’t had my TOM since birth because I’ve been exclusively breastfeeding
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Don't compare what happens not breastfeeding to what happens breastfeeding. Its a whole different beast!

Also consider if you made as drastic changes to your diet this time around. If the first time you scaled back calories and did a complete diet overhaul and this time you just had to make some minor tweeks you wouldn't see the same immediate water weight drop.

~best wishes
  • Sammileann1314
    Sammileann1314 Posts: 13 Member
    1.5 pounds in just over a week sounds like you are right on track. So keep up what you are doing.

And my understanding about breastfeeding is that it burns about 300 extra calories a day.

Thank you for your insight, it’s kinda hard to decide what to set my calorie goal to because of breastfeeding.
    I will keep it up I was just curious because still being considered obese I figured I would drop more quickly in the beginning.
    I guess there could be a number of reasons why that didn’t happen this time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator

Thank you for your insight, it’s kinda hard to decide what to set my calorie goal to because of breastfeeding.
    I will keep it up I was just curious because still being considered obese I figured I would drop more quickly in the beginning.
    I guess there could be a number of reasons why that didn’t happen this time.

If you are struggling to set a goal check out the info in the second half of this thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • khcrmo
    khcrmo Posts: 40 Member
    When i started mfp the first time i was ebf also. What i did was set the calories as if i was not bf and put in a 300 calorie burn under custom exercise each day to compensate for bfing.
    Also yes some womens bodies actually hold onto more fat while bfing to make sure baby is healthy. Everyones post baby hormones are different and make thier bodies do wacky things. Just keep chugging along and keep an eye on your supply to make sure baby is happy.
    Honestly if you had a big initial drop it may have made your supply tank. So take care of yourself but give yourself some grace while taking care of your little nugget too.😀