Chafing Question

This may be embarrassing, oh well!

Over the past few months I have upped my activity a ton(more than doubled). I have been experiencing minor chafing since getting back into a gym routine, however this week has gotten MUCH worse (my chafing is now on my butt).

I have been browsing on Amazon and found Body Glide for Her and DSE Lady Anti-Monkey Butt Powder.

I have seen these products mentioned in a couple different posts, and I was hoping some of you could give your opinions on the two, before I make a decision on buying either of these. Also, if you have any other suggestions on different products that could help, that would be awesome as well!

I truly appreciate any feedback! I have a long road ahead of me, and I don't want this pestering chafing to hold me back!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have really good luck with Monistat Anti-chafing gel. It is a dry gel and seems to last all day. Small tube but a little goes a long way.

ETA: make sure it is chafing and not a fungus. A fungus will feel kind of slimy. Chafing will not. Either way, wash and dry the area thoroughly.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    If you do a search on here for body glide, I'm sure you will find a ton of other threads discussing it! Good luck! (I don't use it so can't give a review)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I like body glide pretty well, but I prefer trislide, just because I like the spray better than the roll-on. In all honesty, I don't really know if that stuff is dramatically different than something like vasaline. Aside from the price tag...
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I've used Body Glide and it generally works, but last fall I had a LOT of underarm chafing that just kept getting re-irritated every time I got sweaty. It was taking months to heal. Body Glide did nothing for it, and I wound up just putting vaseline on the area. Worked like a charm.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    I would try swapping out different textiles on my workout gear. Some, like cotton, rub more than a nylon blend.

There are 'slick sticks' or (anti) friction sticks to use on the area prior to working out. I used to apply one before long runs. It didn't eliminate the problem, but delayed the onset.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    If you do a search on here for body glide, I'm sure you will find a ton of other threads discussing it! Good luck! (I don't use it so can't give a review)

Thank you! I searched Monkey butt for a while, but some of that brought odd results. I will do another search for body glide.

earlnabby wrote: »
    I have really good luck with Monistat Anti-chafing gel. It is a dry gel and seems to last all day. Small tube but a little goes a long way.

ETA: make sure it is chafing and not a fungus. A fungus will feel kind of slimy. Chafing will not. Either way, wash and dry the area thoroughly.

It is definitely chafing(it's dry and it was brought on by a couple hour-long elliptical sessions at the beginning of the week!) I shower well after the gym. Thank you for your input!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I like Body Glide for Her but it is also the only one I have tried.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Thank you! I searched Monkey butt for a while, but some of that brought odd results. I will do another search for body glide.

earlnabby wrote: »

It is definitely chafing(it's dry and it was brought on by a couple hour-long elliptical sessions at the beginning of the week!) I shower well after the gym. Thank you for your input!

You are welcome. I have been using the monistat stuff for a couple of years now and it always worked for me without making a mess on the clothing.
  • cmhubbard92
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I would try swapping out different textiles on my workout gear. Some, like cotton, rub more than a nylon blend.

There are 'slick sticks' or (anti) friction sticks to use on the area prior to working out. I used to apply one before long runs. It didn't eliminate the problem, but delayed the onset.

I want to say that my clothing isn't the issue... My underwear isn't touching the part of my butt that's chafing... it's just my skin rubs together while I am on the machine(unnecessarily big butt haha). I, fortunately, dont have an issue where any of my clothing rubs against my skin(arms/elsewhere)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I don't run, but my son is a runner and he swears by Fresh Balls (also available on amazon)...they have a female scented version called Fresh Breasts also, but I'm pretty sure scent is the only difference between the two...my husband uses it for chaffing when he walks, and I have used it on rare occasions when something chaffed and OMG once it's chaffed even slight movement is torture, but it fixes that in a jiffy...it's a lotion, but feels dry like a powder, but you will get it on your hands applying it, it's not in any kind of applicator.
  • cmhubbard92
    apullum wrote: »
    I've used Body Glide and it generally works, but last fall I had a LOT of underarm chafing that just kept getting re-irritated every time I got sweaty. It was taking months to heal. Body Glide did nothing for it, and I wound up just putting vaseline on the area. Worked like a charm.
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I like body glide pretty well, but I prefer trislide, just because I like the spray better than the roll-on. In all honesty, I don't really know if that stuff is dramatically different than something like vasaline. Aside from the price tag...

A friend told me to do vaseline when I started having this issue... I thought it would go away on its own. I will try it, and see if it helps! I hope to pick one of these products as well so I can keep it handy in my gym bag

Thank you both!
  • cmhubbard92
    I don't run, but my son is a runner and he swears by Fresh Balls (also available on amazon)...they have a female scented version called Fresh Breasts also, but I'm pretty sure scent is the only difference between the two...my husband uses it for chaffing when he walks, and I have used it on rare occasions when something chaffed and OMG once it's chaffed even slight movement is torture, but it fixes that in a jiffy...it's a lotion, but feels dry like a powder, but you will get it on your hands applying it, it's not in any kind of applicator.

Thank you! I am going to look into this! My searches are going to be interesting by the end of the day (fresh breasts, monkey butt)! And yes, it feels like torture whenever I go walk somewhere!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Paper tape is my go-to...no greasy, nasty, occlusive skin feeling...goes on easily, stays well, no skin marks, allergic reactions unheard of with paper tape. Just apply over the areas prone to burns/friction and change daily...cheap as well
  • cmhubbard92
    Paper tape is my go-to...no greasy, nasty, occlusive skin feeling...goes on easily, stays well, no skin marks, allergic reactions unheard of with paper tape. Just apply over the areas prone to burns/friction and change daily...cheap as well

Thank you!
    Sorry if I have some dumb questions here... If I am already chafed, I wouldn't want to use it, right? I would want to use it after the chafing has gone away, right? I just feel like that might irritate it more, and that makes me a little nervous 😬
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    A&D cream/ointment in the baby products section is a fraction of the price and may work just as well.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Use paper tape during activities causing chafing, take off afterwards to allow skin turnover/healing. Okay to use on already damaged areas...it doesn't have super strong hold nor does it cause welt marks upon removing (unlike bandages, etc.)
  • vetvicki
    vetvicki Posts: 62 Member
    Sounds odd but what about cornflour/cornstarch? Or a baby bottom powder with cornstarch in it? Ubby used it recently for chafing as that's all we had in the house and it was great 😄
  • corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    I'm a half-marathon runner and I LOVE Run Glide to combat chafing. It works amazing and I've used it just about everywhere.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    A&D or vaseline can transfer to clothes, build up, stain, and be hard to remove.

I get chafing on my butt near/above my sacrum from the rowing machine seat (but not most rowing shell seats, oddly), even with a seat pad. Bad, to the point of bleeding, sometimes. Body glide has worked great for me, without the buildup/laundry problems.

Guessing the choice of products may - unfortunately - be somewhat individual and situation-specific.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Like many long distance cyclists I use chamois cream, my favourite brand is Muc-Off (be careful to speak very clearly when asking for it in store!) but Asos is also very good.

They are mildly anti-bacterial too.