This is not easy.

nikki5544
nikki5544 Posts: 17 Member
I eat before I realize the calories I eat when I’m nervous I’m trying though.

Replies

• cmartelli1985
    cmartelli1985 Posts: 33 Member
    I am the same so I enter what I’m going to eat before I eat it. Last night I was looking for food before bed but decided to go to sleep instead it was had not eating. Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Danp wrote: »
    Perhaps you can try to get in the habit of pre-logging.

Make it a strict rule that nothing passes your lips until it's been entered into MFP

Agreed. I love doing this because I can stick to a plan the next day, keep a couple hundred calories open for an impromptu snack, or plan a calorie splurge day in advance without guilt. It makes it so much easier to say "no" when I need to, especially when I may want to snack because I'm bored.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    If you eat without paying attention, it can help to brush your teeth. The taste doesn't go well with food and may help remind you that it's not time to eat right now.

Also, instead of eating from a big container of a snack such as chips or cookies, take out how much you want and put only that on a plate.

It takes practice to learn new habits, you can do this!
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Hey, we're all in the same boat; I know I am. But I know what you mean, I've been there before. I agree with what the others have mentioned. The road is hard, but with some patience and perseverance you can do it! :smile:
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    nikki5544 wrote: »
    I eat before I realize the calories I eat when I’m nervous I’m trying though.

I've helped a few friends get started and told them to not worry about the actually hitting a goal for the first couple weeks.

Just log everything you eat for a week or two. It helps to do two things

- Get into the habit of logging
    - Learn what you're actually eating.

It's often surprising to learn how many calories some food have and how easy it is to rack up calories in a hurry.

Especially drinks
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    It isn't easy to change habits!

I log each meal and snack before I eat it. Sometimes I log the meals for the rest of the day to figure out how to fit something special in.

I plate my food. If I have room for Cheetos, I measure out a serving (or half serving, or serving and a half, depending on what fits), put the bag away and go sit down.

I focus on eating mindfully: no computer, phone, tv or even cereal box, just me and my food and some water.

I eat yummy things. If I really don't like something, I will throw it out. If a new dish just isn't as great as expected, I will likely finish it, but won't make it again. In addition to preparing simple meals that I enjoy, I fit in treats. Maybe I can only fit in half a serving of chips or I have to choose between chips and chocolate, but I know I have choices.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    edited January 2019
    There is detailed help available at the top of each Message board in the "Helpful Posts [name of message board] (Must Reads)" related to that board. Maybe you can find additional comprehensive guidance there, on either the Getting Started Board or the General Health Fitness and Diet board (second and third main boards) and also perhaps under the Motivation board too.

All have been reviewed and passed by the MFP staff vetting process as "valuable, factually correct, and address what people keep wanting to know"

There are groups and challenges that act as "community support forums" you can join as you get started, so you don't have to feel you are alone through the learning process. (There is also guidance in the Must Read links on how to search the message boards as well)

Look for one where members have a common difficulty or interest that you can relate to. Whatever supports you best.

Ultimate Accountability Challenge January and Fat2Fit work for me (links found on the challenge board, pointing to the Group Registration) but there are many, many options to choose from.

Maybe other posters can suggest other groups.

If it were easy, no-one would need to be here for long .... but it IS doable over time. Keep on plugging!
  • nikki5544
    nikki5544 Posts: 17 Member
    I don’t know how to stop until I feel that pain in my stomach I need to work on that problem
  • meghanhommy
    meghanhommy Posts: 3 Member
    Try slowing down and savouring your bites and include drinks of water in between.
    I found it very helpful for myself to write down my goals and read through them during each meal/ snack.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited January 2019
    I don’t know how to stop until I feel that pain in my stomach I need to work on that problem

Measure out a reasonable portion of food for a meal. One plateful, 800 calories, or however you want to judge it. Put the rest away, freeze it, toss it, whatever, BEFORE YOU START EATING. Eat only the food you have measured, deliberately and SLOWLY. Immediately engage in some other activity after eating - go for a walk, take a shower, run errands. Your brain needs some re-training.

I'll also echo the suggestion of therapy to address the root cause.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    edited January 2019

I'll also echo the suggestion of informed therapy / guidance to the root cause.

In the meantime, this MFP community might be a place to start. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10714976/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2019/p1

It is a mutual support thread for working through changing a habit (any habit) Just For Today - just one day at at time. Someone right near the top of page one also has the goal of "learning when to stop eating"
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Measure out a reasonable portion of food for a meal. One plateful, 800 calories, or however you want to judge it. Put the rest away, freeze it, toss it, whatever, BEFORE YOU START EATING. Eat only the food you have measured, deliberately and SLOWLY. Immediately engage in some other activity after eating - go for a walk, take a shower, run errands. Your brain needs some re-training.

I'll also echo the suggestion of therapy to address the root cause.

This. Weigh out your portion, log it, and walk away with your dish. If you're eating family meals around the table, perhaps you can switch to leaving the food on the counter rather than on the table where you're eating.