Serious question no fooling around

newmeadow
newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there such a thing as an affordable gym with no TVs and no kitten music blaring on speakers in the background, that's open extended hours?

All I want to hear are clangs and grunts and all I want to see are the people in the gym, not electronic screens.

Edited to add: no mirrors would also be a good thing.

Replies

• newmeadow
    I have an MP3 of clangs and grunts, and some sunglasses I glued pictures of people working out to the backs of the lenses. They play No Doubt at my gym; problem solved.

Oh you.

• bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Well, where are you based? In Australia we have 24hour gyms and the after hours generally doesn’t play tv or music.

There’s also hotel gyms. They’re pretty quiet too.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have been annoyed at the music my gym was playing many times, but then one day it was off and the manager wasn't in to fix it. It made the place a whole different experience and honestly I was not for it.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I've never seen a commercial gym like that. Hotel gyms certainly can be... and sometimes gyms attached to spas or golf clubs can be if the gym is basically an afterthought.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    There are a few like that where I live. They do have mirrors but they are geared more to weighifting with minimal cardio equipment.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    There are gyms like this where I am located. There may be where you are too but it's really hard to say without knowing where that is. Do you think it might be more worth while to google local gyms or look in your local yellow pages than it is to ask people on a globally accessed website from which have withheld your location? Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine to keep your profile private but that really complicates things for people who would like to offer assistance.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    They are all over the states at $20 a month. Look for any powerlifting/strongman gym is a decent start regardless where you are.

Kind of hard to escape mirrors unfortunately. Most people want to stare at themselves for many reasons. I don't care for mirrors either & find them distracting for training.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I found that the last placed I lived, in the UK had a couple of community centres with gyms. Usually a small room with a squatrack, a bench and weights, and another small room with a bit of cardio stuff and floor mats. I can't remember the music, but this was just perfect. I never went though as I only discovered them short before I left.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    There are small town gyms and independent gyms like that. I found one when I traveled to a small town in upstate NY. You get you own key fob and swip in 24/7. None of the big chains do that though.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Sounds to me like you are describing the YMCA.
    The 'Y' has reinvented itself somewhat as a workout place over the past decade. They usually have quite a good range of equipment and are reasonably priced. I've never been to one where they play music or have TVs or anything like that.
  • newmeadow
    Thank you NorthCascades, bluesheep, Melanie, puffbrat, jjpptt, Vegasfit, Chieflrg, yirara, mengqiz, born_of_fire and GiddyupTim. I'll look into the suggestions.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    I’ve been happy at my LA fitness. No overhead TVs, and if they play music, I can’t hear it above my earbuds.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    My basement gym at home. I'm not accepting new members though.

Seriously, though, if you can fit it in your budget, a home gym is great.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I have an MP3 of clangs and grunts, and some sunglasses I glued pictures of people working out to the backs of the lenses. They play No Doubt at my gym; problem solved.

Oh you.

I guess I took the subject line as a challenge. And not knowing where the OP lives it's not like I could offer anything useful ... but when have I ever let that stop me?
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    home gym, garage, yard. or a 24hr gym and go at 2am
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    I should add, I knownits not always a done thing, but hotels in my area offer gym memberships to those living nearby. Got to make money somehow. So if you have a hotel near by it might be worth calling and asking.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I should add, I knownits not always a done thing, but hotels in my area offer gym memberships to those living nearby. Got to make money somehow. So if you have a hotel near by it might be worth calling and asking.

They generally suck on the weights side though. If he wants to hear clunks and grunts, probably want weights.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you are describing the YMCA.
    The 'Y' has reinvented itself somewhat as a workout place over the past decade. They usually have quite a good range of equipment and are reasonably priced. I've never been to one where they play music or have TVs or anything like that.

My YMCA has both TV's and music.