Men & Women in their 50s starting anew in 2019!

Replies

• petethegamermfp
    petethegamermfp Posts: 14 Member
    I turn 50 this year. Can I get early access? 😀 Feel free to add me
  • Sandi5608
    Sandi5608 Posts: 14 Member
    hereslibby wrote: »
    question of the day!

What is something that gets in the way of your healthy lifestyle?

I have 2 main things: Finding time for exercise & my other half.
    Hard to fit in time to exercise. Sure I am not the only one that has that issue. It’s mostly about putting myself first in stead of last. The exercise problem leads to the next thing that gets in the way......the other half.
    I can relate with Cory17. He complains about me just going to walk. Says things like “Are you planning on coming back?” “Why do you walk in circles” (I walk around the block, it’s 1/2 a mile one loop) He has even locked the doors while I have been out walking and then says “Oh, didn’t even know you were gone”. He also brings ice cream, boxes of candy and even cakes from the bakery home! Not for us to share, but he will purchase flavors just for me. Makes me feel guilty not eating it since it was a “gift” from him. I can go on and on how he tries to sabotage my weight loss, but I won’t bore you. In the last year, it has gotten a little better because he has noticed I don’t let him get under my skin as much. Still effects me, I just don’t react to it like I use too. Hurts just as much. I have to keep reminding myself that I am doing this for me, my daughters and my grandkids.

I think it's possible that he told you exactly why he's acting like this when he asked if you were planning on coming back. Perhaps there is a little voice in his head telling him that you are going on this weight loss journey without him and at the end he will lose you. Insecurity, even fear, can make otherwise reasonable people act like jerks.
  • Jayhd77777
    Jayhd77777 Posts: 7 Member
    Add me in....Liverpool UK here
  • allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    I just went back thru the threads here and added people who said they were looking for friends. If I missed anyone - feel free to add me ...
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    sorry Im late to this thread... but I am in! my latest go at this on myfitnesspal started in sept and here we are, im 15 lbs down, 25 to go. slow and steady but I will win my race. I am a T1D insulin dependent, low carb eater.
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    zakfyter wrote: »
    Howdy all, from Oregon. My goal is to lose at least 70lbs.

My biggest hindrance is myself. I tend to self-sabotage. I’m an extreme emotional eater and 2018 was very stressful with losing my dad, my mom moving to memory care, and their house of nearly 50 years being sold all while trying to be a student and work. I’m 52 and it was just too much and I found my comfort in food...AGAIN. I’ve always had a weight issue and have dieted off/on since Jr High.

I hope to help myself and others stay on track through the hard times, what lever they maybe, so I/we don’t derail/give up.

Please feel free to add me...I’m Nancy.

sounds familiar! welcome and lets do this!
  • Slider678
    Slider678 Posts: 113 Member
    Happy Friday 50s folks! Question of the day is;
    What are your favorite exercises?

I'll start...

What are your favorite exercises? I love walking my dogs! Try to do it every day for an hour or about 3 miles. Once I hit 250 I am going to start Couch to 5K....This weekend I am going ice skating....When I travel I hot the gym and do treadmill, elyptical and or the recumbant bike.

Sound off!
  • Lagace4
    Lagace4 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone! would love to join the group. I am from Southern California and as of tomorrow I will be 53. I started on January 6th at my highest weight ever. Ugh... Down now to my second highest recorded weight ever. My goal is to lose 70 more pounds.

My biggest challenge this next week will be exercise. My husband and I like to walk 3-5 miles at the beach but rain is due in all week. Also I have been battling a bad cold so I prefer to stay away from the gym when I am coughing a lot.
  • allison8668
    My favorite exercises:

Outdoors - Walking, running, biking, hiking, scootering (on a kick scooter)
    Indoors - Treadmill, elliptical, Yoga, swimming, spin class, Zumba
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member

My favorite is hiking or walking the dog. We had Schnauzers and last one passed in 2014. Now that I'm not working full-time we are fostering for Schnauzer Love Rescue. I haven't been able to walk him far because of my knee but I'm hoping as I drop the weight I'll be able to be pain-free. Right now I ride my recumbent bike inside (near the door so I can see outside) and Ollie lays on the floor and watches me. Next best thing until we can get out and walk again.

Hope you all have a great Friday!!

Bonnie in Nashville TN
  • allison8668
    @BonnieHosk85 I had 3 Schnauzers - not at the same time. 2 we had gotten as pups. And, one was an adult. The adult one was the best dog I ever had. He was so smart, trainable, and I think he might have set the bar too high for all other dogs I ever had.
  • BonnieHosk85
    @allison8668, this is our third. He's not really "ours" as he is a foster and we are in the process of vetting him and then he'll be ready for adoption. I agree. They are just the best dogs.
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Favorite exercise is hiking. With the short days, I'm not doing much hiking. Getting on the treadmill to get my daily steps in. I love yoga and weight lifting. Going to get back to lifting as soon as I get Christmas packed away, lol. (I feel guilty saying I'm going to the gym when I haven't gotten that packed up...)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited January 2019
    My favorite riding my bicycle outdoors because outdoors.
    My most frequent is a sort of elliptical machine in my living room in front of the tv because lazy.

Over the course of a year I log everything from gardening, general to basketball, shooting hoops.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited January 2019

My favorite exercise is road cycling. Not mountain biking, though we live near mountains and I try to ride around them.

My other exercise is taking walks with my husband.

I would like to try mountain hikes, but the fear of encountering rattle snakes worries me.
  • MountainTopMom
    MountainTopMom Posts: 65 Member
    Slider678 wrote: »
    I wish I could just warm a lean cuisine but everyone would think I am the rudest person they ever met.

Are you sure about that? Most of the time I don't eat the same thing I prepare for everyone else. They don't care. It's more for them - LOL. And, if they asked me - I'd just tell them I want to have more protein - or something with less calories. They understand.

My husband has cooked meals for the family, too - and I sometimes have something different. He gets it. I don't want pasta. So I'll get something else. At least we can all sit together and enjoy a meal. Doesn't have to be the same meal. (kind of like at a restaurant.)

I agree. Many times I cook something for the family and something different for myself. Or I will eat some of the protein I made with a big salad. Or, yes, sometimes I will sit down with my Slimfast while they eat, lol.
    I do agree to let your wife know beforehand so she isnt offended you dont eat what she made. Good luck!
  • BonnieHosk85
    edited January 2019
    @PartyPerson, go to your calendar and on the six-week mark write a motivational line or two about how this time you're not giving up and will keep pressing on to your goal because you are worth it.

@zakfyter -Nancy, I've sent you a friend request. Did you get it?
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    @BonnieHosk85 I've been doing a lot of research into diet motivation - this time I feel very different to my other diets. Firstly because of the health issues, put bluntly my sleep apnea is now so bad that it could kill me any day. This is caused by being fat. I really don't want to wear the "Bane from Batman" mask all night every night so the weight has to go! Also, if I'd weighed less when I fell over in August, I wouldn't have broken my wrist in 8 places and needed major surgery which will take more than a year to recover from. I am not going to fail this time. Ironically I was always causing worries with being too thin in my early 20s.

The debate about cooking for your family - my family are all very slender. We eat the same thing, but their portion sizes are bigger or I add something like garlic bread or chips to bump their calories into the right level. In the past when I've eaten different things I found it really depressing - but if you can do that and it's working for you, good on you!
  • PartyPerson
    PartyPerson Posts: 116 Member
    My favourite exercise has always been swimming, but it is difficult to fit around work. My fall back exercise was cycling, now I've ordered an exercise bike to "get back in the saddle". I'm jealous of the dog walkers, I really want a dog - but it wouldn't be fair when I work at least 16 hours a day.
  • zakfyter
    zakfyter Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2019
    @BonnieHosk85 got you request and accepted

My favorite exercise is swimming, though I haven’t been for several years. I’m pretty much a couch potato, but need to start walking or something. I need to find a walking buddy...