Lost 80lb and have gained 30lb back, now it’s time to get real! Bummed out looking for support.

Replies

• Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    In 2012 I lost 88 lbs. Menopause hit and gained all but about 25 back. I hated myself for a long time, but decided to turn that hate into motivation and determination. I'm now down 31 since September. It's tough, but I can do this again. I'd love friends to motivate me, and for me to cheer on as well!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    edited January 2019
    So many of us in the same boat. Can we fit? Lol. We will soon! Do you think this thread will help if we all keep each other updated and look here for support?
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    I am in the same boat. Lost 60 lbs. and met my goal weight. Over the last 2.5 years I have gained back 26 lbs. I’m not going to beat myself up, and I’m not going to make excuses. I’m just going to get back on track. On a positive note, despite my poor eating habits, I have continued to exercise. I go to the gym 5 days a week. I am proof that you cannot outrun a bad diet. Like most people I need to focus on portion control and cutting back on sugar and carbs. My downfall started when I stopped logging food. For me logging food needs to be part of a permanent lifestyle if I want to be successful with weight loss and maintenance.
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    This is my first post. I’ve been on here since 2014 and lost 80lb, I had a busy and fun summer in 2017 and as of today have put on 30lb. I’ve never posted here and am going to try things differently. I’m really upset with myself and depressed about this gain and would like to hear if any similar stories or if anyone would like to lose 50lb together!

• leecha2014
    DebBahr wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. Lost 60 lbs. and met my goal weight. Over the last 2.5 years I have gained back 26 lbs. I’m not going to beat myself up, and I’m not going to make excuses. I’m just going to get back on track. On a positive note, despite my poor eating habits, I have continued to exercise. I go to the gym 5 days a week. I am proof that you cannot outrun a bad diet. Like most people I need to focus on portion control and cutting back on sugar and carbs. My downfall started when I stopped logging food. For me logging food needs to be part of a permanent lifestyle if I want to be successful with weight loss and maintenance.
    This is my first post. I’ve been on here since 2014 and lost 80lb, I had a busy and fun summer in 2017 and as of today have put on 30lb. I’ve never posted here and am going to try things differently. I’m really upset with myself and depressed about this gain and would like to hear if any similar stories or if anyone would like to lose 50lb together!

I can 100% relate to this! I haven’t stopped working out. My poor Bootcamp instructor is looking at me so confused because I’m much bigger than 1.5 years ago when I started. Not exactly an ambassador for her lol. I too thought I could be “mindful” of what I ate. Truthfully I enjoy craft beer and eating out way too much.
    At least you have kept up the exercise because regardless it’s still so good for you and has helped.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    I lost 50 lbs. in a year, and then quit logging for a few months (new job) and realized before it was too late that I had gained 7 lbs. So now I'm back to logging and adding a spinning class once a week to change up my work-outs. I realized that I MUST log my food. Otherwise I lose track of portions and therefore calories. I also found myself eating more sweets than I should have been to maintain and lose weight. I still have between 50-60 lbs. to lose. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    I think accepting the fact that logging food is a critical part of weight loss and maintenance is a big step. There are plenty of people who can do it without logging food. I am clearly not one of them.
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I lost 50 lbs. in a year, and then quit logging for a few months (new job) and realized before it was too late that I had gained 7 lbs. So now I'm back to logging and adding a spinning class once a week to change up my work-outs. I realized that I MUST log my food. Otherwise I lose track of portions and therefore calories. I also found myself eating more sweets than I should have been to maintain and lose weight. I still have between 50-60 lbs. to lose. Feel free to add me as a friend.

• leecha2014
    DebBahr wrote: »
    I think accepting the fact that logging food is a critical part of weight loss and maintenance is a big step. There are plenty of people who can do it without logging food. I am clearly not one of them.
    lucerorojo wrote: »

I think what’s key also is a weekly weigh in. If you’re getting off track then get back to what works before you are 30lb up, I wish I did that! I was sporadic with this. Never again, when I reach goal I am not messing around like this again.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    I’m with you all! In 2017 I lost 22 lbs and have since gained ALL OF IT back ☹️. I had been in such a great head space and felt so happy about the loss that I dropped the ball and stopped logging and weighing. I went on holiday and ate. I did keep exercising but as others have said that’s not enough. Then things got stressful and I completely neglected myself. My clothes got tight and when I looked in the mirror I was so angry at myself. Things have got to change.
    I have to be aware of the things that derailed me last time. Keep logging, keep weighing, believe that I am worth it. Try to keep my mental state stable and not let stress get to me.
    I’d love to share our wins together. We can do it!!
  • ee2368
    ee2368 Posts: 86 Member

No need to be bummed out! Jump back in and let’s do this! I’ve got about the same amount to get rid of.
  • leecha2014
    LotusCass wrote: »
    I’m with you all! In 2017 I lost 22 lbs and have since gained ALL OF IT back ☹️. I had been in such a great head space and felt so happy about the loss that I dropped the ball and stopped logging and weighing. I went on holiday and ate. I did keep exercising but as others have said that’s not enough. Then things got stressful and I completely neglected myself. My clothes got tight and when I looked in the mirror I was so angry at myself. Things have got to change.
    I have to be aware of the things that derailed me last time. Keep logging, keep weighing, believe that I am worth it. Try to keep my mental state stable and not let stress get to me.
    I’d love to share our wins together. We can do it!!

I felt like I was reading my own post. 2017 the weight piled on because truthfully, I felt soooo good. I was so happy and also had a very social year and just let it go. I drank a lot of craft beer ( so good ) and out for dinners, vacations. Really that’s the life lol. But it isn’t when you’re clothes start getting tight and then mentally you start getting down. Really down. Well we are all just getting right back into it and staying mentally strong. One day at a time. 10lb at a time. Let’s help each other out xo.
  • leecha2014
    ee2368 wrote: »

No need to be bummed out! Jump back in and let’s do this! I’ve got about the same amount to get rid of.

Ok I’m with you! I have had a great week, very focused and haven’t eaten out. I’ve planned my meals, nothing crazy, a lot of repetition but it’s working. I’m not stopping now. I keep thinking how awesome I’m going to feel this summer, we have time now to make a difference.
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Once you get back into the right mind set it just seems crazy that you let it all go. I’ve been back into it for 10 days and lost 2kgs. I actually enjoy logging. Let’s go everyone, we’ve got this!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    this has helped me so much, realize how I have to be cautious and more cautious. I lost 40 lbs 5 years ago and gained most of it back last year, lost it again since July thank goodness but I can see how stress, emotional eating can get us. I had got complacent,it was tough getting it off again but you can do it, I did. Trying to figure out what happened to me, I had horrible flu and afterwards ate everything in sight and also adult kids had upset me. I also had quit weighing which I do now daily.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Even though we are not mice....I am going to leave this here for those of us having a hard time understanding the why's of regaining weight. It may be pertinent, it may not, but it's worth the read.
    https://www.healthcentral.com/article/weight-cycling-and-the-microbiome?ic=6107
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Even though we are not mice....I am going to leave this here for those of us having a hard time understanding the why's of regaining weight. It may be pertinent, it may not, but it's worth the read.
    https://www.healthcentral.com/article/weight-cycling-and-the-microbiome?ic=6107

Thanks for sharing. I find the whole gut/brain/health connection to be fascinating and think it will likely turn out to be so much more complex and important than we've previously known. This whole food specific-flavonoid approach to improving the microbiome is interesting. While I've used probiotics occassionally, I've always thought I was probably just making expensive pee since I'm not sure which ones I need or which actually survive in pill form.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Yep! I lost 110, gained back 98. Damn close to all of it. It came on very quickly after a surgery and the loss of my mother in 2017. Spent 2018 losing and gaining and not really trying like I know should have. I agree with previous posters I did it too fast and with too few calories the first go around in 2016. I also didn't learn how to maintain. So I was either losing or gaining. I never figured out the emotional eating / binge thing at all.

This time, I'm trying to eat a smaller deficit and not be so laser focused that I obsess over it. I struggle with being either ON or OFF with no middle ground for how I eat/track. But I haven't stopped at Dunkin for my usual order of 2 bagels with cream cheese and a blueberry muffin in over a month so, that's something. ;)
  • minimaljen
    minimaljen Posts: 4 Member
    Just found this thread. Anyone still around for support and motivation? I lost 45 pounds in 2016 and gained nearly 20 back in 2018. Have spent most of this year pretending it didn't happen. But my clothes are getting tight, and my knee pain is back, so I just can't ignore it anymore.

I always do better with weight loss when I have accountability to someone. If you are still out there, would love to keep the conversation going...
  • tsclemons
    tsclemons Posts: 1 Member
    I completely understand. I was very disappointed with myself when I went to the doctor today and learned I gained 30 pounds. I’m trying to stay positive and use this as motivation to make better food decisions
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    You can add me . I have lost 50 pounds. And gained 10 back. My first time putting weight back on during my long 5 year journey. I was so close!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Lost 70, gained 28. Now on losing mode again, down 13 of those 28. I am in a much happier place when I am eating healthy and in the right quantity. After gaining, I do get sad and it can be hard to restart. Hugs