Scale not showing , demotivated

Hey it’s been 11 days since I started to diet and exercise continuously but every morning I get up on that scale hoping atleast I lost 0.5 kg or 0.2 even but I ended putting a kg up or it doesn’t change at all. It’s so frustrating :(

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    If you started a new or more vigorous exercise routine your muscles may be retaining more water right now.

But weight loss doesn't happen overnight. it takes time and remember there are ups and downs in our weight within a day and over the week. the number on the scale is a singular point in time and only data. tracking data over time is how you really can tell what the trend is.

are you eating at a calorie deficit? do you weight your food and log properly?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Give it time, give it 30 days at least to see some sort of progress on the scales, our weight fluctuates so much from day to day it takes time to see results.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Restarted my journey in September. Typically have lost about 1 lb a week, but I've too been in a plateau right now for 3 weeks. Not the first time its happened to me this time around. It just seems for me, I lose a bit, then I stay the same for a few more weeks, then lose again. I worked with a trainer in the fall who constantly told me that the scale should not be the end all be all. I have lost inches while the scale has stayed the same. Her advise to me was to focus on the goal, put my head down and NOT STOP. Progress may be slow, but IT IS PROGRESS. Take measurements to see how you really are losing. Tight pants that don't feel quite so tight anymore is proof that your scale isn't the only way to see you are losing weight.

I know. Easy to say it and hard to execute when the darn scale wont budge. I feel your pain. My scale didn't give me the number I wanted today. But I know I can't afford to go to McDonalds about it. Please keep trying! Good luck !
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    If you are getting exactly the same reading every day, try changing the battery in your scale. I've had that happen when the battery is low. I just keep getting the same reading every day and I know that's not possible.
  • blwhitfield22101
    blwhitfield22101 Posts: 44 Member
    Honestly the scale has been a huge demotivator for me too in the past. I get so obsessed with the numbers. Maybe give the scale a break for a week or two. Go hide it and instead use the mirror, pictures, or measuring tape to gage progress. Just an idea :)
  • JasJaworska
    JasJaworska Posts: 22 Member
    11 days isn't enough time for results and getting on the scale everyday won't help you. If you're exercising and eating healthy keep doing just that but you need to factor in the weight of your muscles (can gain weight because you're exercising), water weight, morning/night, if you've ate and a bunch more. I barely ever look at the scale because of all this, if you want to see results look in the mirror or take before vs after pictures, how do you feel? Do you feel good? Maybe more energized? Stepping on a scale (especially everyday) is the only thing that will demotivate you, it's way too early for you to see any results, keep sticking to it, you're going to do great!
  • Give it time and put the scale aside for a while. I find weighing myself too often ultimately kills my motivation as well. Instead try to focus on the non-scale victories such as having more energy & your clothes fitting a little looser. Take a progress picture now, if you haven't already and take another one, one a month from now & compare.... scales just show us the numbers. Not actual results! Keep your chin up lady!! Your got this!
  • fufuli1989
    fufuli1989 Posts: 1 Member
    it is a little unmotivating when you're putting so much work into dieting and excercising and the numbers just don't go down. for example i've been excercisingn and being more health conscious about what i put in my mouth for a week and i've actually gained 6 pounds and it was a little discouraging at first but i feel so great, i'm not sluggish i have so much energy and all just from one week of being active and excercising. it'll all show up eventually just focus on the non scale victorys like maybe how you feel or if you have more energy throughout the day? just a thought, try to be positive and not so harsh on yourself, i mean you're doing the work just give it time :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    jonjaxmom wrote: »
    Restarted my journey in September. Typically have lost about 1 lb a week, but I've too been in a plateau right now for 3 weeks. Not the first time its happened to me this time around. It just seems for me, I lose a bit, then I stay the same for a few more weeks, then lose again. I worked with a trainer in the fall who constantly told me that the scale should not be the end all be all. I have lost inches while the scale has stayed the same. Her advise to me was to focus on the goal, put my head down and NOT STOP. Progress may be slow, but IT IS PROGRESS. Take measurements to see how you really are losing. Tight pants that don't feel quite so tight anymore is proof that your scale isn't the only way to see you are losing weight.

I know. Easy to say it and hard to execute when the darn scale wont budge. I feel your pain. My scale didn't give me the number I wanted today. But I know I can't afford to go to McDonalds about it. Please keep trying! Good luck !

plateaus are 6-8 weeks with no loss at all,and why cant you afford to go to mcdonalds? make it fit into your calorie goals
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Omg all of you are right, the one thing I noticed is that I feel so much better now , I’m far away from depression and I feel genuinely happy that I’m doing something for my body .
  • dwayneb2020
    dwayneb2020 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hey it’s been 11 days since I started to diet and exercise continuously but every morning I get up on that scale hoping atleast I lost 0.5 kg or 0.2 even but I ended putting a kg up or it doesn’t change at all. It’s so frustrating :(

You can't fool mother nature.

Barring some medical issue if you consume fewer calories than your set-point and you do that constantly, you WILL lose weight over time. Since it takes ~3500 calorie deficit to get a pound (~.5 kg) off this won't happen instantly that's for sure. After all it probably took you a long time to GAIN the weight too.

So say you set your diet target 500 calories below your set-point; it would take 7 days to lose a pound, AND there are always fluctuations on top of your body weight due to water retention and so on. So looking at the scale once a week is probably a good plan.

I've been using MFP to track weight and for the first few months the weight loss rate was nearly constant, then lo and behold over Christmas it flattened out. Frustrating but when I sat down and really looked at the increased calorie intake, a plateau was inevitable.