January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @juliet3455 Your weather is definitely worse than mine.

@ddmom0811 Our car has a block heater. Basically a battery warmer, because batteries don't work very well when it's colder than about -21C or so. If you were to be driving a vehicle up here without one the alternative would be to go out and idle your car for a few minutes every 2-3 hours or so. They're standard in new vehicles sold here though and each parking stall at work has a plug for them. Sometimes when running in my neighbourhood in winter I have to watch for extension cords lying across the sidewalks...

Wow, learn something new every day! :)

@MegaMooseEsq & @7lenny7 - thanks for the info! I'm going up Feb 26-Mar 1. It's a conv for Comp Sci professors/instructors. Last year it was in Baltimore and weather wasn't too bad. We all sat in shock when they said MN in Feb for 2019! Maybe by then it will be nice! I'll contact you the week prior!

Fingers crossed for nicer weather in Feb but who knows. Usually it doesn’t go above freezing from mid-December through mid-March, but this has been a weird year so far.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @juliet3455 - posted this for her a couple of days ago. May not be what you were looking for (I couldn't find my go to article either) but I liked the visuals they provided for each pattern/issue.
    shanaber wrote: »
    @abowersgirl - sometimes discomfort (not pain or sharp pain) on the top of your foot can also be a result of lacing your shoe too tight. I have high arches and often have issues with it depending on the shoe. There are a number of articles and videos online and this is a good one with visuals of the different lacing patterns for different issues.
    https://runrepeat.com/top-10-running-shoe-lacing-techniques

@mbaker566 - I always love seeing your pictures! They never fail to make me smile!
    @ddmom0811 - so exciting for your daughter and your getting to visit her and run there too!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @shanaber the new foster is sooo freakin cute and he loves to run with the girls (the other 2 dogs)
    jyc3dijc58s5.png

the puppy who cannot join the runs will hopefully find a home tomorrow after a meet and greet
    93j60gkyxyw7.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I really hope one day to race out in portland and seattle-but mostly portland area
    in the meantime, i'll be jealous of @7lenny7 and of @ddmom0811 and her family. i've always had a pull to the PNW
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@ddmom0811 I'm flying to Portland for my big race in April. I've been there twice before visiting my sister, but not since I've started running. They aren't kidding when they say, "Keep Portland Weird".

You have a sister there too! LOL, yes true. It is a little different.
  • albryce744
    albryce744 Posts: 22 Member
    1/7: 3.5, 13.5/50
    1/9: 4.0, 17.5/50
    1/10 2.0 19.5 / 50 (treadmill)
    1/11 3.7 23.2/50

Happy Friday!
  • albryce744
    ...The first mile is a liar.

Words to live by, for sure!

• albryce744
    exercise.png

Speaking of cold, we have started putting out bird feeders, and we have red breasted nuthatches! They don't usually hang around here, apparently there is an irruption, which is what they call it when there's a poor conifer seed crop in the mountains so these birds spread out to other areas. They are tiny, like to walk upside down, make noises like squeaky dog toys, and are so brave they will pluck seeds right out of your hand!

Love the meep of nuthatches. And to watch them go down the trunks of trees. I should put out a feeder! Feeling inspired....

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I think I've found my next destination race. 10K, 21K or 42K, running through some great Scotch distilleries in Scotland. I wonder if I could talk DW into going to this one. It's just gorgeous!! And whisky!

https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/health/a25843292/dramathon-whisky-marathon-scotland

That looks like so much fun! We traveled to Scotland a few years ago for hiking and Scotch, and it was great!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Saw this and couldn't help thinking of you guys!
    I'm lurking in the background, slowly recovering and chomping at the bit to be able to get going again properly!

f2p2nagzx16f.jpg

Haha, miss you!